UKC

Recommend me a headtorch.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jimbob11 24 Feb 2017
Seems to be a massive amount of options available these days, looked at the Petzl Reactik options, The BD Storm, a Fenix HL60r online which looks good.

So what are people using and/or recommending.

Happy with rechargeable or replaceable batteries.

Money no concern, although don't need to be spending £150 on something silly bright.
 Dave the Rave 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

Eat more carrots. It's nearly time for the hour to go on.
 jezb1 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

I think the LED lenser seo 7r is good value, often the brightest on MLs, has reactive lighting, decent battery life, can't fault it really.
 Guy Hurst 24 Feb 2017
In reply to jezb1:

I had the Led Lenser SE0 7R and thought it was a great torch for the money, but it then started to drain the battery for no apparent reason and couldn't be relied on. I've since read that other users had similar problems. I replaced it with the latest version of the Black Diamond Storm, which isn't quite as fancy, but at a claimed 250 lumen max is as bright as I need and has at least proved reliable over the six months I've had it.
 Dell 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

Alpkit Viper £18. If you feel you need to spend more money, buy two.
 deepsoup 25 Feb 2017
In reply to jezb1:
I have one of those that I bought second hand via a 'for sale' post on here. A couple of weeks ago I inadvertently chucked it in the washing machine with my running kit, it got switched on during the wash and I noticed it shining out through the door when the cycle was finished. I realise I was very lucky to get away with it, but quite impressed even so.
 BnB 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

Another vote for the BD Storm. Waterproof and intuitive to use. Very secure locking system so it won't drain in your pack. Plenty bright enough, yet I'm still on the first set of batteries despite several winter walk-offs in the dark as well as more occasional use.
 DaveHK 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Dell:

> Alpkit Viper £18. If you feel you need to spend more money, buy two.

This.
 afx22 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

I really rate my Reactik +. It's a big step on from the many Tikka range head torches that I've had over the years and not far off my mate's Nao+ (in usefulness).
OP Jimbob11 25 Feb 2017
In reply to afx22:

You use the phone app for it? Seems a bit pointless to me, I like my headtorch to be a just that, all these settings etc put me off. Easily confused with the technology see.
 InSituJames 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

http://silva.se/product/headlamps/headlamp-ninox-2/

Been using this for night climbing through the winter months. Not as bright as some of the others but being able to rotate the beam to point up the crag means less neck pain when belaying. Which is nice...
 pavelk 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

http://luciferlights.net/
Not the cheapest but well done, super strong with lifetime service and two years guarantee
 artif 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

Lupine

Lost count of how many petzl head torches i've had all failed for one reason or another
tried several others as well, none has come close to quality of the Lupine
 Taurig 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

Hard to go wrong with Black Diamond I'd say. Have the old Spot, good torch. Got the new one, even better. Light enough to run with, IPX8 so no water ingress concerns, no rattles. I was skeptical about the powertap feature as it seemed gimmicky, but have found it genuinely useful.

I can only imgaine the Storm is just as good if you want more power for the extra weight of a battery.

Had a Silva Ninox 1 and it was a decent torch apart from the battery compartment closure. Bit of a faff in the comfort of the living room, would not have wanted to change batteries with cold hands and gloves. Eventually snapped a plastic tab and it's relegated to DIY with a zip tie repair.
 Snowdave 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

Petzl Pixa 3...

Had one since they first came out...

2x AA lithium or rechargeable.
lock off
IP67
2m fall
80kg crush proof
3 main power levels
 afx22 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbob11:

I do have the app and I do find it a bit pointless. It is useful for checking battery.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...