UKC

Best bike forum for tech advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 27 Feb 2017
Hi

Looking for some advice on replacing jockey wheels on rear derailleur. Anyone recommend a website?

Ta
 mangoletse 27 Feb 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Sheldon Brown is usually worth a look, also the si.shimano I find really useful for retrieving original manuals for their kit. Not useful if you're not a Shimano user of course but for a job like that the principles would be the same.

Jockey wheels usually just unbolt from outside the dlr cage and slide out, slide in the new ones (remembering the metal bushings) and rebolt.
OP Flinticus 27 Feb 2017
In reply to mangoletse:

Hi.

Replacing the wheels is not the problem, its finding compatible ones that is!

I have conflicting info as well: the rear drive system technical guide I have says the rear derailleur is RD-M593 while the bike spec from the website where I got the bike says RD-M780.

All the actual physical components say is Shimano Deore XT - not specific enough!

I went to Tacx website as they produce Shimano compatible jockey wheels but they only stock ones suitable for 'SLX or XT or XTR' whereas my spec is for 'SGS'!

mangoletse 27 Feb 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

If it's an XT RD then it's the M780.

Have a look on Chainreaction for "XT RD-M786-M781-M780-M773"
 LastBoyScout 27 Feb 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

There will be a serial number on the back of the parallelogram - you'll probably have to take the wheel out to see it, though. Depending on what version/frame you've got, it might be easiest to unbolt the mech to find it.

I've used Tacx ones in my 9-speed XT mech and they're ok on the road, but I've had the bearings seize up between rides on the MTB, as I discovered while getting bike out for a ride. Fortunately, I had a spare pair handy.
Rigid Raider 27 Feb 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

The best forum for tech advice is Cycle Chat. But they will just tell you the same as above.
OP Flinticus 27 Feb 2017
In reply to mangoletse:

Great. Many thanks for sharing your knowledge. I've ordered these off ebay (Chainreaction were out of stock).

How where are those tyres I ordered...

Piecing together my bike after wheels stolen (and rear mech damaged)
 radar 27 Feb 2017

When replacing the jockey wheels pay attention to torque rates. A tiny smear of loctite blue on the guide plate threads wouldn't go amiss. If you haven't got a torque wrench, then cinch the bolts up so they are flush with the outside of the guide plates, no more. Jockey wheels need some lateral movement.

As for best website for tech: no matter which forum you go to, you'll get rreferedto Sheldon Brown. Sort of like a Godwin's Law for bicycle maintenance, eventually you will be refered to Sheldon.

Also try Simano, Park Tools, for obscure old kit try Retrobike (also brill for refurbishing tips, where to source obscure bits). The Zinn and the Art of Road/Mountain Bike Maintenance books are excellent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...