UKC

Anything out of Aviemore?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Madders 27 Feb 2017
Hello

standard post

I'm headed up to Aviemore this weekend, Is anything in? open to ideas.

Weather being as it is i'd cancel but it's my stag do and the non-climbers still want to go.

Thank you
 Snowdave 27 Feb 2017
In reply to Madders:

Some of the northern corrie are in, but just, bit of loose snow & they had snow last night

http://ncairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/2017/02/another-windy-day/

SAIS blog for northern cairngorms..

TBO it's been carp too changeable, not enough continual freezing for form a good solid base...however as near Torridon a couple weeks back & due to wind chill , very little snow but huge amounts of solid ice..several inches thick on flooded paths etc...
 JackM92 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Madders:

Was on The Genie earlier...now sat in A and E. It was pretty desperate today, of the 3 of us 2 took proper lead falls and the other fell off seconding.

lots of useless powder on the slabs, no neve and cracks choked with ice. Maybe a thaw freeze would improve things.
OP Madders 28 Feb 2017
Thanks all guess just see how it goes.

hope you're out of A&E in one piece
OP Madders 02 Mar 2017
any updates?

Is anything in?
 DaveHK 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Madders:

Do you know about the usual channels for checking this stuff? The various FB groups, SAIS blogs, webcams and UKC logbooks?
 IM 02 Mar 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

> Do you know about the usual channels for checking this stuff? The various FB groups, SAIS blogs, webcams and UKC logbooks?

Or asking a question on a climbing website in the winter climbing forum?
 David Staples 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Madders:

Did Jacob's Ladder and The Slant today. Brilliant nevé on the top section of The Slant and good consistent snow on Jacob's Ladder. There were a few other teams up there doing various routes including The Haston Line, Hidden Chimney Direct and a team on Aladdin's Couloir.

Not much ice and lots of soft snow on the approach but was much firmer higher up.

Cheers
Dave
 DaveHK 02 Mar 2017
In reply to mac fae stirling:
> Or asking a question on a climbing website in the winter climbing forum?

I wasn't suggesting he shouldn't ask the question. I was asking if he knew the other sources. They would be helpful to him. But of course everyone assumes that's a criticism.
Post edited at 15:40
 Paul Baxter 02 Mar 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

No criticism, but there's some subtle semantics going on here that interest me; it's a classic example of how easy it is to be misunderstood in text rather than speech

I think because you wrote 'usual channels' your message contained (to many people anyway) an implied message that this channel is unusual, and hence a criticism - why not use the 'usual channels'... If you'd written 'other usual channels' the potential to see criticism would've been much reduced. If you were speaking, your tone would allow you to steer clear of the implied criticism.

IM 02 Mar 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

> I wasn't suggesting he shouldn't ask the question. I was asking if he knew the other sources. They would be helpful to him. But of course everyone assumes that's a criticism.

OK, sorry, I did indeed interpret it more negatively. My mistake.
 DaveHK 02 Mar 2017
In reply to mac fae stirling:

Fair dos.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...