UKC

The Ben - recent conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stratandrew 28 Feb 2017
Hi folks, just back from a week in Rjukan and due to head up to the CIC this Thursday evening for a long weekend. Obviously I’ve checked the conditions page and can see there is little getting done on the Ben. Can anyone with first-hand experience of last couple of days give me any further insight, especially in respect of extent/condition of underlying snow base / frozen scree and if the tops of many of the routes have had their loose rock consolidated? I’ve seen AIH post from 19th Feb which was useful, but very little since then.....
 Gazlynn 28 Feb 2017
In reply to stratandrew:
A bit of a wade yesterday but amazed with the changes even in one day. Very little firm stuff until the last 100 / 200 meters and even less Ice but changing rapidly. Walked into the Hut sunday afternoon with waterfalls running down the cascades... Walked out yesterday afternoon and Ice was definitely forming rapidly on them.

Photos here of our jaunt if interested

https://www.flickr.com/photos/garethlynn/albums/72157678987451331

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 09:37
 Simon4 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Gazlynn:
Nice pictures Gareth, certainly LOOKS like a real mountain, even if ice conditions are seriously lacking.

(Also looks like a great day out, maybe "avalancheuse" though)
Post edited at 10:18
 Gazlynn 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Simon4:

Thanks Simon

Yes there where a couple of iffy ish moments avalanche wise but once there it didn't feel too bad.

cheers

Gaz

OP stratandrew 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Gazlynn:

Thanks Gaz, appreciate the photos, really great - you were lucky with the clear weather.

Andy
 drsdave 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Gazlynn:

Thanks for the pics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...