UKC

hardangervidda conditions norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Badpanda 01 Mar 2017
A shout out to anyone who knows the conditions on the Hardangervidda now. We're planning skiing poss Geilo/Finse-ish next week. I know there are snow problems generally in Norway (so we are bailing from the Jotenheim), but Finse webcam looks fine. Particularly concerned about frozen (or not) lakes... Anyone been?
Many many thanks
 IPPurewater 01 Mar 2017
In reply to Badpanda:

Is this any help ?

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Telemark/Vinje/Hardangervidda/long.html

Looks cold for the next 10 days.
 matthew jones 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Badpanda:

Hello mister!

High up is fine, live in Arendal, just had half term near Haukeli (bit further South than Geilo) and the snow was good, fresh fall mid week and we have had temps round freezing on coast, inland should be top.
www.yr.no is good weather forecast. Train a good option for getting up if you want to avoid hirecar, Oslo/Drammen to Finse for example. Good Luck, forecast is just blue so you should be fine!
http://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/Buskerud/Hol/Geilo/langtidsvarsel.html
 Mr. Lee 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Badpanda:

Actually been quite a bit of snow in Norway in recent weeks. More this weekend.
 wbo 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Badpanda: but whats it like to go over, along lakes. I was in Sirdal this weekend and wouldn't go on them but Hardanger is rather higher

OP Badpanda 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Badpanda:

A big thank you to everyone. Sounds reasonably reassuring.

I had seen the forecast and was wondering what the ground conditions (and the not-falling-through-the-ice-wearing-a-heavy-backpack conditions) were like. Good to hear that there was snow nearby. I've been watching the snow carefully and it has improved. Don't want to trash the skis (well any more than they are already)

The lakes - well, there's a lot on the Hardangervidda, esp on the Geilo/Finse stretch. Looks like the Gjende lake (in the Jotenheim) now has iced up at least in part, so that's good news. The online maps don't seem to show depths of lakes, alas.

Any more info very very gratefully received of course.

Best, BP
 matthew jones 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Badpanda:

Hi again. We were on lakes last week, altitude around 750m. Rule of thumb is look for others. Scooter tracks also a decent indicator, or buy yourself a big ol' ice fishing screw and check if it is really that isolated where you are going. The ice won't be getting any worse with current temps. If in doubt stay (very) close to shore and don't drop your poles should you be unlucky enough to go through!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...