UKC

Kvaloya northern norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 islandlynx 02 Mar 2017
Hi,

I'm looking into a climbing trip to northern Norway this June. I'm particularly interested in Kvaloya. Has anyone been/got the guide? there's places to buy the book in Norway but it would be great to have it before departing. Any thoughts on the place would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shane
 Mr. Lee 02 Mar 2017
In reply to islandlynx:

Not been there yet but it's high on my list. I've got the guidebook. It's pretty easy to get hold of in Norway. Just check VPG, Fjellsport, Sportsnett and Sportslager and I'm sure one of them will have a copy to post.
 matthew jones 02 Mar 2017
In reply to islandlynx:

Fantastic guide to fantastic area. The whole nine yards; trad, sport, big wall, bouldering.

http://tromsoklatring.no/klatremuligheter

24 hour daylight obviously. Apart from Småbakken bouldering, little "roadside" action, but that is part of the appeal.
Just search up names for the individual areas/crags.
Good luck!
 TobyA 02 Mar 2017
In reply to matthew jones:

There are a few good crags that aren't far from the road from what I remember. I've climbed on the seacliffs on the west side of the island for instance.
 matthew jones 03 Mar 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby! We met many years ago up there, Småbakken bouldering event with problem cleaning and ensueing beer/tall story session at camp by sea. Hope all is well!
 seankenny 03 Mar 2017
In reply to islandlynx:

I'm interested in going and managed to get a guidebook from a Norwegian climbing shop or club, I can't remember, but it was surprising that few of them would ship to the UK, despite me offering to pay the postage. I'd hate to speculate, but perhaps something about customs and so on? I guess we'll see if it's more awkward to buy foreign guidebooks after 2019...!

Anyhow, got one eventually but it wasn't cheap.
 TobyA 03 Mar 2017
 TobyA 03 Mar 2017
In reply to islandlynx:

It's a magic place. I'd definitely go. https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/?q=KVAL%F8YA&x=18.288&y=69.6...

In the book there are big wall aid routes, big wall free routes, multipitch mid grade trad, sport climbing that looks ridiculously scenic and good (haven't tried it), bouldering, sea cliff trad, sea cliff sport, big mountain scrambles (the Ersfjord Traverse looks better than Cullin Ridge for instance). Tromsø is a nice town too, go to the Arctic museum if you have a day of bad weather.
 matthew jones 05 Mar 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah, that's me! Currently under a fresh serious snow fall after what was looking like early good start to cragging season. The midges can be utterly soul-destroying, my wife's Family has a hut North of Bergen and they seem immune to all action; smoke, chemicals, CO2 machine, the lot!
My mate in Tromsø has now moved South again, I had one more visit before the move but it was a wash-out, walked up to the climbing hut and that was the extent of the action. Good walls and what appeared to be a very high average standard amongst the locals.
I sat between two super-chatty, sweet Swedish Girls on the flight up and the (heavy) turbulence caused them both to throw up at the same time, I was sat in the middle! Anyway...
Hope all is well, thanks for the photos! Cool reminder.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...