UKC

Lairig Ghru - Logistics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 02 Mar 2017
Looking for advice about walking the Lairig Ghru. Apart from knowing where it is and what it is I know little else about it. My question, then, are:

a) When is the best time to do it?
b) What difficulties are there?
c) Which is the best direction to do it?
d) What are the public transport options at the start and finish(travelling via Edinburgh)?
e) When is the best time midge wise?
f) How long time wise from start to finish?

Depending on the answers to a) and e) I'm toying with doing it as a warm up for the TMB
Thanks for any useful info
 Pids 02 Mar 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

a) anytime, the weather is unpredictable
b)no difficulties, apart from weather, midges and mud
c)either direction is good
d) easy public transport to Aviemore for start/end, Breamar is harder although bus from / to Aberdeen mat be best option (perhaps train to Edinburgh, then to Aberdeen, bus to Bremar and walk from there, train back from Aviemore)
e) Midge season will be long this year as not really cold enough to have killed the pests off, earlier the better though
f) depends how fast you walk, bothies on route (or just off it) so no need for a tent (unless you prefer)

Enjoy it

Have a look at this for ideas on length / route https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/lairig-ghru.shtml

Doug 02 Mar 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Depending on how much time you have, consider a circular walk linking the Lairig Ghru & the Lairig an Laoigh. Then you start & finish in Aviemore which would be less complicated for transport
 StuDoig 02 Mar 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Best time for the Lairig Ghru is probably early spring, after the snow is gone but before the midge explosion!

The most difficult section is probably the rocky / bouldery section before the pools of dee (from the Aviemore side), though it is just a rough path, nothing hard. On the whole it's a good track all the way.

Best direction will depend on your transport options! If you are public transport only, it's probably easier to start in Braemar, and walk through to Rochiemuchtus. That way you don't end up with the 6 mile trudge from Linn of Dee to Braemar at the end of your day! Plus you can finish up at the Glenmore Hostel which provides food if you book in advance so no worries about carrying food for evening meal or accomodation at the far side. That that puts you a quick bus trip to Aviemore and the A9 / main train line.

Or check to see if the heather hopper is back running (linn of dee car park to Pitlochry) as this would drop you back on the main train / bus routes. Not sure if it's run in recent years though.

If you feel enthusiastic enough the 2 day version suggested by Doug is a great way to start / finish back at your car. You can camp at Derry Lodge area (very nice, but can be midgie in the trees), use bob scott's bothy (don't assume you'll get a decent night's kip though!) or keep trudging up to the Hutchie for a long day, but more likely a quiet bothy night in a fantastic location (stove, but no local fuel source). Also opens up the option of returning via Macdui & Cairngorm (if you want some extra ascent though quite possible winter kit will be required) or via the shelterstone and the head of loch a'an (just stunning scenery).

Cheers,

Stu
 Doug 02 Mar 2017
In reply to StuDoig:

or make 3 or 4 days with nights at Corrour , the Hutchinson & maybe Ryvoan ? (especially if starting/ending in Aviemore itself)
 tony 02 Mar 2017
In reply to StuDoig:

> Best time for the Lairig Ghru is probably early spring, after the snow is gone but before the midge explosion!

Although be aware that snow can linger at the high points until early summer. No idea what the snow cover has been like this year, so this may not be an issue.

> The most difficult section is probably the rocky / bouldery section before the pools of dee (from the Aviemore side), though it is just a rough path, nothing hard. On the whole it's a good track all the way.

Ironically, decent snow cover over this section would make the going a lot easier!

Whichever way you do it, make sure you lift your eyes occasionally and take in the view all around you. It's a terrific outing.
 beh 02 Mar 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Braemar to Aviemore is preferable. Overall the ascent seems less arduous, plus it's nicer descending in to Rothiemurchus/Glenmore at the end rather than slogging up the road to Braemar. Easily doable in a day if you're not carrying too much and have reasonable fitness.

Bus to Braemar from Aberdeen (2hrs). Stay overnight then hitch/taxi to Linn of Dee otherwise it's several miles walking on the road. At the other side it's a pleasant enough walk to Aviemore mostly off road but could also get the bus from Glenmore (last bus is ~1700).

Never found the midges too bad except for when stopped near the Linn of Dee.

I agree with others that making a loop from one side is a good option. Less logistical faff (i.e. public transport), can avoid having to walk on roads and other less interesting bits like the track from Linn of Dee car park to Derry lodge, and opens up many great options on the other side of the plateau (Glen Derry, Loch Etchachan/Avon).
OP mypyrex 03 Mar 2017

Can there be any particular weather hazards in wind/rain/snow? Is it followable in clag?
Post edited at 10:58
Removed User 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Doug:

> Depending on how much time you have, consider a circular walk linking the Lairig Ghru & the Lairig an Laoigh. Then you start & finish in Aviemore which would be less complicated for transport

I was going to say that!
 tony 03 Mar 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

Nothing in particular to worry about. There's a path of sorts all the way, so there shouldn't be any navigation difficulties even in bad weather. Do remember you'll be at a height of about 2800ft at the high point, so conditions might be quite different to those at your starting point.

I'd agree with the idea of doing it Braemar to Aviemore rather than the other way round - the descent into Rothiemurcus is a much nicer way to finish than the slog from Mar Lodge to Braemar.
 steelbru 04 Mar 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

If you are thinking of doing the round mentioned ( well worth it !! ) then there is a river crossing at the Fords of Avon without a bridge - this could be problematic after excessive rain, but is normally shin to knee high, or even just ankle high in a dry spell. All the other river crossings have stones or a bridge.
 Dave Hewitt 04 Mar 2017
In reply to tony:

> There's a path of sorts all the way, so there shouldn't be any navigation difficulties even in bad weather.

If heading north-south in clear conditions with little or no snow on the path, there shouldn't be much in the navigation difficulty as you say. But if heading south-north in thick weather with snow lying, there's been something of a history of people curving off into the Garbh Choire (towards the refuge currently being discussed in another thread) when approaching the upper part of the pass. This doesn't happen very often, but it is a known problem and is worth bearing in mind if going that way.
 nufkin 04 Mar 2017
In reply to tony:

> you'll be at a height of about 2800ft at the high point

Not on an OS map you won't be
 Doug 04 Mar 2017
In reply to nufkin:

I still have 1" OS maps (including of the Cairngorms) and I think Mypyrex is older than me so don't be sure

Although I guess they don't get taken outdoors anymore.
 Joe Lemmer 11 Mar 2017
In reply to mypyrex:
Another option that I don't think has been mentioned is to walk from Blair Atholl up Glen tilt and then up the Lairig Ghru to Aviemore (or the other way around). Glen tilt is superb and Blair Atholl is easy to get to by train or car and it's also easy to get to and from Aviemore on the train when you've finished.

I've done it a couple of time in 2 days without any issues, but I think 3 might be even better to have more time to sit about and take it all in.

There's plenty of nice spots to camp along the way including near the waterfall and bridge at the falls of tarf, by the ruin of Bynack Lodge near the Geldie burn, and by the Corrour Bothy in the Lairig Ghru.

There's just the ford to cross when you come to the Geldie Burn which was fine both times I was there but I image it could be difficult if there'd been a torrential downpour.

Hope you have a good time.
Post edited at 13:44
 Brass Nipples 12 Mar 2017
In reply to mypyrex:

> Can there be any particular weather hazards in wind/rain/snow? Is it followable in clag?

Yes you may trip over chipmunks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...