UKC

Waterproof with a skirt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TomEspley 02 Mar 2017
I used to have a fab waterproof from the ages of 14 to 34 - standard karrimor/berghaus, goretex thing : wired hood, zipped/welted (or something) pockets - including a chest one big enough for a winebottle.

And the clincher for me : IT HAD A SKIRT
What i mean is that it went down below my waist, so that the bottom hem just about touched the top of my knee.
Was great - because you can't get creeping drips into the trousers, and can manage without waterproof trousers in most wet weather.

Thing is - i can't find any like that anymore, and i really really really need to buy a replacement.

Anyone got any ideas?
Rigid Raider 02 Mar 2017
In reply to TomEspley:

Er... aren't many waterproof jackets still this long?
 Pina 02 Mar 2017
In reply to TomEspley:

Looked at Swazi?
 Doug 02 Mar 2017
In reply to TomEspley:

Sounds a bit like a Peter Storm cagoule from the early 1970s, great for standing still but not so great for climbing. Have you considered a poncho ? rare in the UK but common in France
 mangoletse 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Pina:

Yep - first thing to come to mind was the Swazi Tahr XP, althought it's a pullover style and costs £££
Removed User 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Er... aren't many waterproof jackets still this long?

All the way to the KNEES? Haven't seen something like that in my life.
baron 02 Mar 2017
In reply to TomEspley:
Rohan hilltop jacket
 Swig 02 Mar 2017
In reply to TomEspley:

Wear a womens waterproof as long ones seem to occur more often.
 Siward 02 Mar 2017
In reply to TomEspley:

Berghaus Lightning jacket- dependent upon how tall you are?
 HeMa 02 Mar 2017
In reply to TomEspley:

Look for waterproof parka instead of jacket...

also military surplus might have something you're lookin' for, in flashy camo and/or black.
Rigid Raider 03 Mar 2017
In reply to TomEspley:

My God, I remember those blue Peter Storm sweatbox cagoules; we climbed in cycling capes and sou'westers until my Dad discovered these new cagoule things. He ordered some from an exciting new climbing shop called LD Mountain Centre in Newcastle but they didn't arrive before we set off up the A6 for our camping holiday in Scotland so they had to be sent to a local Post Office post-restante. The first time we tried them we were baffled to find our clothes soaking wet underneath, at which point we realised they were so waterproof that we were boiling in our own sweat. After that I graduated to a bright orange Henri Lloyd cag, which was certainly waterproof but also very heavy.
 Doug 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> a bright orange Henri Lloyd cag, which was certainly waterproof but also very heavy.

I had one of those, bought in something like 1975 and which was close to indestructible. I was still wearing it sailing & canoeing into the 1980s although by then had moved on to goretex for climbing & walking. Still have memories of getting very damp walking up hill, only for the condensation to freeze later in the day when belaying in winter.
lookingforjugs 03 Mar 2017
In reply to TomEspley:

> I used to have a fab waterproof from the ages of 14 to 34 - standard karrimor/berghaus, goretex thing : wired hood, zipped/welted (or something) pockets - including a chest one big enough for a winebottle.And the clincher for me : IT HAD A SKIRTWhat i mean is that it went down below my waist, so that the bottom hem just about touched the top of my knee.Was great - because you can't get creeping drips into the trousers, and can manage without waterproof trousers in most wet weather.Thing is - i can't find any like that anymore, and i really really really need to buy a replacement.Anyone got any ideas?

Rohan hilltop jacket...best thing I've ever bought
 jon 04 Mar 2017
 Toerag 05 Mar 2017
In reply to TomEspley:
You need to look for a walking jacket as opposed to a climbing jacket (which are more fashionable). If you're considering a poncho then look on www.globetrotter.de to see a good selection. They don't send to the UK, but are a good place to find things because their range is massive.
Post edited at 05:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...