UKC

Looking for photos of Angela Soper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alex Messenger, BMC 03 Mar 2017
Hi

We're after a couple of photos of Angela Soper to go with an interview in our handbook.

Could be climbing or portraits, recent or old.

Email alex@thebmc.co.uk if you can help...

cheers

Alex.
 Mick Ward 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Alex Messenger, BMC:

Hi Alex,

I had some of Angela but unfortunately had to give 'em back to her - 'cos they were hers'.

But she's got some. Failing that, I'd try folk like Dave Musgrove.

An inspirational lady!

Mick
 jon 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

Bet you've got that Rocksport with a photo of her on Gimmer when she was Angela Faller(?)
 Mick Ward 03 Mar 2017
In reply to jon:

Have got hardly any mags, Jon. That was the problem with Prometheus Unchained - all done from dodgy up to 50 years old memories. I had only one relevant mag - the OTE with Rachel Farmer on Raindogs.

Wasn't Angela on the undercling of Kipling Groove - which shockingly I've never done? My old mate John Hammond (Sunshine) soloed it in the '60s for the express purpose of pissing off the establishment. Yup, he succeeded.

Mick
 hazeysunshine 03 Mar 2017

Have you tried the Pinnacle Club Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thepinnacleclubgallery/page2
A quick glance and I found one of Angela abseiling, there may be more.

She did a talk at the Women's Climbing Symposium a couple of years ago, the London one, there are photos from that.
There's at least one on the teambmc instagram, and a video clip of Angela at the Women's International Meet.
 jon 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:
Yes, I think it was KG. I know someone who would know, though...
Post edited at 19:53
 Mick Ward 03 Mar 2017
In reply to jon:

Me too. There seems nothing he doesn't know.

Mick

There's one of her doing the Kipling Groove undercling way back when in the Langdale guide before the latest version. I can scan it if you haven't got it.

I'm sure my brother, John, has some. Will mention it when I next ring him.
 Mick Ward 03 Mar 2017
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

If I remember it correctly, that would be a lovely shot to accompany an interview - especially as, back then, KG still had a bit of a reputation and few (if any) ladies climbed as hard as Angela.

Did she fall off KG and then go back and do Gimmer String? Whatever, she was always talented.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward:

I thought it was in Hard Rock? In fact I shall go downstairs and check.......

OK, totally not in HR, but on page 33 of the old red Langdale guide. Nice though rather obviously posed shot.

jcm
 nigel baker 04 Mar 2017

Hi Alex, sent you a couple of pictures.
 keith sanders 04 Mar 2017

I was climbing with Angela in Calpe at Christmas got a few images of her but alas Don't think they are Iconic enough of her.What an inspiration she is and still going well.

keith s
That picture is also in the first edition of the Lake District Compendium Eilbeck, Roper & Cram guide creditted to Ian Roper.
 jon 04 Mar 2017

A quick search on here turns up five photos: https://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/search.html?nstart=0&climber=angela+s...
 Timmd 05 Mar 2017

> There's one of her doing the Kipling Groove undercling way back when in the Langdale guide before the latest version. I can scan it if you haven't got it.

Is that the black and white picture taken from the right hand side with the wind blowing her hair?
 Cog 05 Mar 2017

I have a few snaps from Langdale a couple of years ago.
 cathsullivan 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

The new Langdale guide is a really great guidebook except for one thing, IMO, and that is the fact that they took that picture of Angela out.

I have one two pictures of Angela, I think, but none of them are very good.
Alex Messenger, BMC 06 Mar 2017
In reply to

Hi everyone

Big thanks for all your help, and especially everyone who emailed shots in. Now sorted. Look out for Lynn Robinson's (aka Moff) brilliant interview with Angela in our second members handbook, posted with the spring Summit.

cheers

Alex.

Timmd 08 Mar 2017
In reply to cathsullivan:

Heathens, there's something iconic about that picture. I remember reading my Dad's climbing books as a nine or ten year old, and for some reason that image sticking in my head, there seems to be something about it which suggests the good feelings one can experience when going climbing, a sense of adventure and freedom, and belonging too. It's a lovely picture.
 Mick Ward 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

You've beautifully expressed what I've always felt about that photo.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...