UKC

Where to buy a climbing guide book en- route to Cornwall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 walts4 04 Mar 2017
Heading across from France to Cornwall & Pembroke in a couple of months after a long time without climbing in the UK & struggling to obtain a guidebook without paying lots of postage to France.
Where’s the best place to pick up a guide book either in Cornwall or on the way from Dover via the motorway network without deviating for hours, would obviously love to buy one in Penzance or the surroundings, does this option exist, as unable to google solve this?

Looking for the definite guide books for both the West country & Pembroke.
 Greasy Prusiks 04 Mar 2017
In reply to walts4:

There's a book shop in penzance called "The edge of the world" book shop. They normally stock a few guides but I'd give them a ring and ask them to reserve the one you want for you.
 spenser 04 Mar 2017
In reply to walts4:

https://www.tauntonleisure.com/mountain-leader-and-climbing-guides/c212
These guys are in Exeter, I'd imagine they could order in the CC definitives for you easily enough.
The St Govan's inn in South Pembrokeshire usually has copies of the definitive CC guides (although I wouldn't count on it on a bank holiday weekend!), although beyond Range West I don't think the definitives for Pembrokeshire will offer a great deal more than the Wired Selective guide if you're not a local climbing regularly in the area.
Can't help on the Cornwall front unfortunately.
 Andy2 04 Mar 2017
In reply to walts4:

At the risk of stating the obvious, Cotswold's Exeter branch isn't too far out of your way, and doesn't involve driving into the city centre.

Cotswold Truro is another option, although that is right in the middle of the city.

You might struggle to get the definitive Pembroke guidebooks in either.

Edge of the World in Penzance is a good option - phone them on 01736 365607
OP walts4 04 Mar 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Brilliant, thanks for the responses everybody, will call or email them & place a order to collect nearer the time.
Was looking for the obvious outdoor type shop, never thought of a bookshop!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...