UKC

Which is the world's best Diff?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 05 Mar 2017
Tiptoe Ridge (5) might be the answer, but although I've done lots of routes there have never done it. Next time I go I'm determined I will, as I think I might have reached a suitable level of incompetence. The view of it from the Pharos looks brilliant - should be on the appropriate page on ukc.
 HimTiggins 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Tower Ridge. End of story!
 bouldery bits 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Three Pebble Slab.
 john arran 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I reckon some of the Bedouin routes in Wadi Rum would be very high on the scale, if not the very top.
 Offwidth 05 Mar 2017
In reply to HimTiggins:

Tower Ridge is disappointing as a climb in my view, albeit a great day out.. mostly a scamble with a few harder bits... mod really. Observatory Ridge is way better but harder.

This would be a contender by the easiest line:

North Ridge (5.6)

Nothing like 5.6 if you rap into the gap.

In the UK this:

Pinnacle Ridge (Summer) (D)

Again with raps or

A' Chir Ridge Traverse (M)

Best with a raps .
 john arran 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

What is this "rap" of which you speak?

spenser 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It's one of the best easy routes I've done, don't bother doing the direct start, it's far harder and the climbing is rubbish!
 Mark Eddy 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I remember 'Symphony crack' at Rhoscolyn being pretty amazing
In reply to Rog Wilko:

East Buttress (Summer) (D)

by some way...

Corvus (D)

is pretty damn good too.
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Three Pebble Slab.

Flying buttress Direct, surely?
In reply to MusicalMountaineer:

Terrific route though Corvus is, you'd have to be pretty short-sighted to claim that it was in the top ten. There must be umpteen alpine routes that would knock it into a cocked hat though, as is often the way as I get older, none of them seem to be coming to mind.

T.
 BnB 05 Mar 2017
In reply to MusicalMountaineer:

> East Buttress (Summer) (D)by some way...Corvus (D)is pretty damn good too.

I did the former 10 days ago as a winter climb and am definitely going back for the summer tick.

Closer to home and more in the way of a trad outcrop I'd say Presidents' Slab (HD in the definitive guide)

President's Slab (VD)
 DaveHK 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I think there was a similar thread quite recently.

Upper Exum Ridge on Grand Teton is pretty good.
 Offwidth 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
I think Corvus is bloody brilliant as a climb: long, clever and with sustained interest. Probably the best Diff I've done in England
Post edited at 19:04
 Duncan Bourne 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Horned Crag Route on Lliwedd id a good contender. A long day out though, best when you are certain of good weather and your route finding.
Great Slab Route on Chair Ladder is good too.
 wercat 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

As it was originally tagged "The Diff to end All Diffs" could I nominate the Applecross peninsula's Cioch Nose for the UK's submission, wonderful though lots of others are, including Pinnacle Ridge SnG?

I know it has been regraded, but there are lots of much much harder but perhaps less intimidating V Diffs
In reply to Offwidth:
IMHO A'Chir Ridge is nothing like as fine as Pinnacle Ridge on SNG, and the Clach Glas - Blaven traverse is better than either.
Post edited at 19:27
 wbo 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:
Third flatiron above Boulder is quite good
 Offwidth 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Clach-Glas Blaven ... yes thats better than A Chir. Some other Skye Diffs were better in fact but none of them were anything like Diff.
 MNA123 05 Mar 2017
In reply to john arran:

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin West Philadelphia, born and raised......
 alan moore 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Corvus might be the best I've done.
Milestone direct is as perfect a Diff as you could wish for but is VDiff now.
Quiver Rib is spectacular.

Not a big fan of the oversized ridge rambles mentioned above. There must be an outstanding one on the grit somewhere but it doesn't come to mind...
 gribble 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:
I rather like Bosigran Ridge. Not mega long, but very good fun.
edit: ah. Diff, not VDiff!! Must learn to read...
Post edited at 21:00
 kwoods 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

> Clach-Glas Blaven ... yes thats better than A Chir. Some other Skye Diffs were better in fact but none of them were anything like Diff.

Second that. A' Chir was good, but the day I did Clach Glas to Bla Bheinn it absolutely blew me away. An hour or two's of scrambling on that held it's own alongside the main Cuillin Traverse IMO.
 Ramblin dave 05 Mar 2017
In reply to alan moore:

> There must be an outstanding one on the grit somewhere but it doesn't come to mind...

Inverted Staircase? Although I can't think of a gritstone Diff that does the small but perfectly formed thing in the way that Heaven Crack does at VDiff or Black Hawk Hell Crack at Severe.

Also, there's a lot of climbs that have already been mentioned that I haven't done so I'm not going to make claims for best in the UK, let alone best in the world, but Slanting Buttress Ridge Route on Lliwedd is pretty damn good.
 Big Ger 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Play Crack (D) at Sheepstor, Devon.

It certainly has few aspects or qualities to recommend it to others, but to me it is the best in the world.

De gustibus and all that.
 Karl Bromelow 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Tiptoe Ridge is a fun way to start the day, solo in big shoes, before everyone else gets up. Mostly very easy and not particularly engaging climbing. The location makes it a contender, I suppose, but not the climbing. For example Middlefell Buttress, Raven Crag, Langdale, is far more enjoyable climbing and the location is at least as inspiring. I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of routes around the world that would beat it at that grade.
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Lockwoods Chimney
Removed User 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Quiver Rib on the east face of Aonach Dubh is worth a mention.
 d_b 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Francis Charlesworth:

That depends on what you mean by "best"
 Bulls Crack 05 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Russet Groove (VD)

Used to be diff
 Martin Hore 05 Mar 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

> Upper Exum Ridge on Grand Teton is pretty good.

Excellent, but hardly "Diff" as remember it. My 1994 guidebook gives it 5.4 which I thought was top end V Diff.

Martin
In reply to bouldery bits:

Hum....

Is this the one at Froggatt Edge?

If so, acording to Eastern Grit and UK Climbing the grade of the route is contested and debated.

The grades range from VS 5a to E1 5a.

It is a bold climb -safe but a tad scary to top rope but very scary to lead with a lot of fall potential.

Sav

In reply to higherclimbingwales:
Graded E1 5b according to UK C but it says it is on the HVS/E1 border.

Sav
Post edited at 23:52
In reply to The Ivanator:

Por que?

?

The person is being Ironic!?
Post edited at 00:16
 Trangia 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Devil's Slide on Lundy. Outstanding situation and lovely padding up at Diff, except for the final pitch which is harder and given Severe (although I'd say it's a very soft Severe - more to do with getting your head round the exposure than technical difficulty)
 CurlyStevo 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I didn't really rate Corvus. The hand traverse is good, but it's 10 meters of good climbing on a non distinct scramble up vegetated poor rock.
In reply to Rog Wilko:
What about Ordinary Route C Buttress on Dow Crag. I have done it several times and enjoyed every one.
'C' Ordinary Route (Summer) (VD)
OP Rog Wilko 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Karl Bromelow:

> Tiptoe Ridge is a fun way to start the day, solo in big shoes, before everyone else gets up. Mostly very easy and not particularly engaging climbing. The location makes it a contender, I suppose, but not the climbing. For example Middlefell Buttress, Raven Crag, Langdale, is far more enjoyable climbing and the location is at least as inspiring. I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of routes around the world that would beat it at that grade.

Very interesting response. I did say I haven't done the route, didn't I!
 MG 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> There must be umpteen alpine routes that would knock it into a cocked hat though, as is often the way as I get older, none of them seem to be coming to mind.T.

Yes, odd that in a thread marked "World's Best", most of the climbs being given are in the UK. I suppose in a literal sense of climbs actually being graded (UK) Diff, that makes sense but if we take it as equivalent difficulty pretty much any ADish ridge climb in the alps will be better, and probably most of those are only of typical quality, looking globally. I'd suggest the SW ridge of the Schreckhorn as a European contender.

Iain Thow 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

In the UK I'd agree that Pinnacle Ridge (Gillean) and East Buttress (B Eighe) would be contenders (and I can't think of a "Diff Heaven Crack" either), but the best Diff I've ever done is this, Red Slab (D).
Haven't done huge amount of pure rock climbing abroad, but I would vote for Cresta Bardamina Paul (PD+),
well over a km of superbly exposed ridge.
Removed User 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Obviously its Pinnacle Ridge (SNG) with Clach Glas - Blaven as an honourary runner up in the UK.

Anyone mentioning grit on this thread is an idiot.
 JJL 06 Mar 2017
In reply to MG:

Bloody hell we are parochial.

East Buttress on Mt Whitney
Cathedral Peak in Toulumne
East Ridge on Mount Edith Cavell

etc.etc
In reply to Removed User:

I really don't understand how you think Pinnacle Ridge is better than Clach Glas - Blaven. On a five-star system, PR gets about 6 stars and CG-B about 8 stars ...
 WildCamper 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Fancy creating another ticklist Rog?

I rather fancy working my way through these routes as a comeback from my op - dont feel at full strength these days so want to start nice and easy but still with interesting climbing

BnB 06 Mar 2017
> I really don't understand how you think Pinnacle Ridge is better than Clach Glas - Blaven. On a five-star system, PR gets about 6 stars and CG-B about 8 stars ...

Without a shadow of a doubt these and the round of Coire Lagan taking in King's Chimney and the Inn Pinn (especially if started by an ascent of the Lagan face of Sgurr Sgumain) are the best days out at around Diff that the UK offers, but all three are mostly walking. Perhaps the OP had something shorter and sharper in mind?
Post edited at 14:08
 NickK123 06 Mar 2017
In reply to BnB:

Remember it was rather thin on gear .... (some 10 years later!)
 NickK123 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Another tick for the Clach Glas traverse - best mountaineering day in UK. Solo'd in big boots and had a blast!
 Ramblin dave 06 Mar 2017
In reply to BnB:

> Without a shadow of a doubt these and the round of Coire Lagan taking in King's Chimney and the Inn Pinn (especially if started by an ascent of the Lagan face of Sgurr Sgumain) are the best days out at around Diff that the UK offers, but all three are mostly walking. Perhaps the OP had something shorter and sharper in mind?

Yes, it's tempting to argue that there's a difference between a great Diff and a great day out including some Diff-standard climbing.
thepeaks 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Alison rib Bos
 Simon Caldwell 06 Mar 2017
Isn't the Clach Glas traverse Mod?
In reply to BnB:

> Without a shadow of a doubt these and the round of Coire Lagan taking in King's Chimney and the Inn Pinn (especially if started by an ascent of the Lagan face of Sgurr Sgumain) are the best days out at around Diff that the UK offers, but all three are mostly walking. Perhaps the OP had something shorter and sharper in mind?

?? From the start to the finish of the Clach Glas - Blaven traverse (that is, from the bealach at the top of Arch Gully to the top of the north face of Blaven) there is NO walking at all, except for c.50 feet of walking across the flat top of the summit of Clach Glas, and about 20 feet of walking across 'the Putting Green. It's about 1000 metres of very sustained and exposed scrambling (all Grade 3-4) with three sections of Diff. Overall it's a lot less tame than the vast majority of diffs in the country. I don't remember any walking on Pinnacle Ridge of SNG either, once you've reached the crest of the ridge, or perhaps there's one short 'walk' along a very exposed path around the third pinnacle if you cheat.

BnB 06 Mar 2017

> ?? From the start to the finish of the Clach Glas - Blaven traverse (that is, from the bealach at the top of Arch Gully to the top of the north face of Blaven) there is NO walking at all, except for c.50 feet of walking across the flat top of the summit of Clach Glas, and about 20 feet of walking across 'the Putting Green. It's about 1000 metres of very sustained and exposed scrambling (all Grade 3-4) with three sections of Diff. Overall it's a lot less tame than the vast majority of diffs in the country. I don't remember any walking on Pinnacle Ridge of SNG either, once you've reached the crest of the ridge, or perhaps there's one short 'walk' along a very exposed path around the third pinnacle if you cheat.

Surely anyone for whom a Diff is an easy day in the mountains (that's VS punters like me for example), easy scrambling is nearer to walking than climbing. It doesn't require a rope for starters.

As for the routes in question, I've done B-CG about 10 times because it's only a few miles from my house, while SnG is my favourite mountain on the planet. I wouldn't rate the former above grade 1 apart from the V chimney and summit pitch on CG, the clamber off the imposter and the diff wall and subsequent chimney on B. The rest is mostly walking. On PR only the 3rd pinnacle requires handwork at grade 3 followed by an abseil, and the 5th pinnacle has a single tricky reach at about Mod followed by options at all scrambling grades.

None of the above is to diminish the quality of the routes in terms of sustained exposure, views, positions and sublime rock. I'll never stop loving them.
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
I'd say it's hard to grade. I think the parts I'd call Diff (i.e comparable with Diff on Tryfan or Stanage or the Roaches) are a section of the groove below the summit scramble of CG, then the step on the Imposter, then certainly the short wall above the Putting Green (arguably quite a lot harder) and then quite a lot of the final gully, I think, though my memory of that's a bit hazy. Also, I soloed the whole thing, in good form, so it's a bit hard to judge. As with all gabbro, it's quite hard to grade because the friction's so good. The stupendous scramble up the summit tower of Clach Glas would be about Hard Severe if it was polished limestone

PS. I'd say it's about the same standard, or a shade harder, than the classic 1000 ft 'Carrot Ridge' in the 12 Bens of Connemara, which no one would describe as a walk, though it has a lot of very easy climbing.

I don't mean the way rock climbers call climbs 'a walk' sometimes I'm sure John and I called Petite Fleur on Craig Ddu once 'a walk' once because we found it so easy. Oh, and as someone's said above there's 3PS ... and, of course, there's always FB on Stanage
Post edited at 16:10
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Isn't the Clach Glas traverse Mod?

When I started climbing, practically everything that's now graded Diff was graded Mod. Another
 Robert Durran 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The World's best Diff is almost certainly one of the Bedouin routes in Wadi Rum.
 Iain Thow 06 Mar 2017
I'd say the crux of Carrot Ridge is quite a bit harder than anything on Clach Glas/Blaven (even that nasty little wall after the col). Carrot was described to me by one of the locals as "it's graded Diff, it's really about Mild Severe but it's a scramble really". After I'd done it I knew exactly what he meant and wouldn't disagree. On CG-B I'd give the nasty wall and the corner above it Diff, the ascent to CG Mod and the Imposter Grade 3, with the rest being a lot easier. One of the best UK days out whatever the grade.
PS are you planning to reissue "The Cuillin", by the way? Still the best book on the place by a long way.

PPS just noticed that you give Carrot Ridge (?)Severe in your entry on the database.
Post edited at 16:37
In reply to Iain Thow:

> I'd say the crux of Carrot Ridge is quite a bit harder than anything on Clach Glas/Blaven (even that nasty little wall after the col). Carrot was described to me by one of the locals as "it's graded Diff, it's really about Mild Severe but it's a scramble really". After I'd done it I knew exactly what he meant and wouldn't disagree. On CG-B I'd give the nasty wall and the corner above it Diff, the ascent to CG Mod and the Imposter Grade 3, with the rest being a lot easier. One of the best UK days out whatever the grade.PS are you planning to reissue "The Cuillin", by the way? Still the best book on the place by a long way.

Oh, yes, there was a move or two of Severe on the second pitch, but after that it was very easy (but v, v good). Again that's a difficult one for me to judge, because again I soloed the whole thing in c. half an hour. Of course, on a very long route one expects longish sections that are much easier than the hardest parts. On further reflection, thinking about it quite a bit harder, I'd guess that your CG-B grades are probably spot on.

The snag with my Cuillin book is that I'm not sure the publisher still has the original scans. If they haven't, it would be a rather major job to reconstruct and re-publish. I suppose it's something I should think about. Also, do you think the public would expect something different/more in a new edition, rather than a straight reprint? Another snag is that I'm up to my eyeballs at the moment with my latest book (though you wouldn't guess it from the way I've been nattering on UKC today).
Post edited at 16:47
 wercat 06 Mar 2017
"practically everything that's now graded Diff was graded Mod"

that was my thinking in putting forward the Cioch Nose. I don't know how popular it is now but it had a very adventurous feel to it with stupendous airiness and views. I'd worked in daily full sight of it and admired it for several years when I worked up there without ever thinking I'd be up there sometime.
Post edited at 16:56
 Iain Thow 06 Mar 2017

I think a straight reprint would sell fine. One of the Skye hotels I stay in with groups has had to hide its copy because people kept trying to walk off with it, which implies there's a demand (although possibly not the type of customer you want)
 GrahamD 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Its not the world's best, obviously, but in the narrow remit of actually been given a diff grade and not being a scramble with bits of diff, my personal favourite is C Ordinary.
 alan moore 06 Mar 2017
In reply to thepeaks:

> Alison rib Bos

..which reminds me. Black Slab at Bosigran is the best Diff I have ever done and a Kirkus route to boot.
 alan moore 06 Mar 2017
In reply to JJL:

> Bloody hell we are parochial.East Buttress on Mt WhitneyCathedral Peak in ToulumneEast Ridge on Mount Edith Cavelletc.etc

...at least two of which are Severes...
In reply to alan moore:
Which ones are severe...East ridge of Edith Cavell is a good shout, one of the rockies finest routes.

OH yeah my money is on Tower ridge for blighty.
Post edited at 18:04
 Tom Valentine 06 Mar 2017

And V.Diffs were Diff.
So I nominate New West on Pillar.
 BnB 06 Mar 2017
In reply to wercat:

> "practically everything that's now graded Diff was graded Mod"that was my thinking in putting forward the Cioch Nose. I don't know how popular it is now but it had a very adventurous feel to it with stupendous airiness and views. I'd worked in daily full sight of it and admired it for several years when I worked up there without ever thinking I'd be up there sometime.

I did it in sopping rain in big boots a fortnight ago. Trust me, it's not a Diff. Perhaps the continuation scramble was in the wet. Utterly superb route though.
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> And V.Diffs were Diff.So I nominate New West on Pillar.

Yes, and by the same token, Spiral Stairs and Flying Buttress back to 'Hard Diff'.
 JJL 06 Mar 2017
In reply to alan moore:

> ...at least two of which are Severes...

No - 5.3
 alan moore 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

> Which ones are severe...

East Buttress of Whitney is graded 5.7 and like a harder but inferior Amphitheatre Buttress.
East Buttress of Cathedral Peak is 5.6/7 depending on which go-anywhere line you choose to follow.
Not heard of the Edith one...
 Darron 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I really would have to disagree with Karl's summary of Tiptoe. I found it had really interesting climbing, varied (with the descent from the pinnacle being memorable) and in a wonderful position. Possibly V Diff too.
 Karl Bromelow 07 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Very interesting response. I did say I haven't done the route, didn't I!

You did, Rog, and I am not suggesting you don't do it. You should. It's fun. You might well rate it higher than me. Cheers, Karl
 Red Rover 07 Mar 2017
 Karl Bromelow 07 Mar 2017
In reply to Darron:

> I really would have to disagree with Karl's summary of Tiptoe. I found it had really interesting climbing.

Fair enough Darron. I wouldn't argue with you. I do enjoy climbing it whenever I am staying there. Maybe my assesment is overly harsh and too subjective. In my opinion it is a nice route and I wouldn't like to put any one off doing it.
 spidermonkey09 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I think it's the best Diff I've ever done by a significant distance! Absolutely perfect rock, a summit, crux downclimb, great views....It's brilliant even as a solo. For a diff leader it must be the best thing they've ever done.
 Michael Gordon 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It's not a long route but Crystal Ridge is a lovely climb in a beautiful and remote place.

King's Chimney is hard to beat in the single pitch category.
 routrax 08 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Cneifion Arête?
I'm sure it's a diff in the rockfax guide.
OP Rog Wilko 09 Mar 2017
In reply to WildCamper:

Hi Tobey, been wondering what you were up to . Hope op is a long term success, and good luck with the comeback
In reply to routrax:

> Cneifion Arête? I'm sure it's a diff in the rockfax guide.

Another one that's difficult to grade. It was always Moderate in the old days, like Milestone Ordinary, which was certainly a bit harder. I suppose there are a couple of Diff moves in the first 40 feet side wall of CA, but then it's a lot of very moderate scrambling. They're just very vague adjectives, after all.
 climbwhenready 09 Mar 2017

If my memory is right,that's what Rockfax says - diff first pitch, mod for the rest (but gives it diff overall)
 Michael Hood 09 Mar 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Next you'll be saying that grades are only there to help give us an indication of the rigors of a route and not trophies to be collected in their own right. Go wash your mouth out

In reply to Michael Hood:

> Next you'll be saying that grades are only there to help give us an indication of the rigors of a route and not trophies to be collected in their own right. Go wash your mouth out

No, I wouldn't say that at all. I'd simply say that grades are useful for giving us a rough idea of the challenge a route presents and not the raison d'etre of doing the route.
 Sean Kelly 09 Mar 2017
In reply to NickK123:

> Another tick for the Clach Glas traverse - best mountaineering day in UK. Solo'd in big boots and had a blast!

And another tick from me. A brilliant day and sunshine all the way!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...