UKC

The bouldering brush thief

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 06 Mar 2017
Why is someone keeping a bouldering brush instead of handing it in? It's happened to both me and my mate in recent months.

Yeah it's only a few quid (well mine was my life savings being one of those fancy sublime types) but what hassle is it to hand it in behind the counter for me to pick up next time I'm there?

Rant over.

Trangia 06 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

I suppose the obvious question in answer to that is - why do you leave them lying around?
OP FreshSlate 06 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:
You've never left a chalk bag on the mat for a bit whilst you're bouldering? Or ever left a item behind at a climbing centre by mistake?

Clearly no one intends to leave stuff but now and again it happens or else there wouldn't be lost property departments.
Post edited at 13:46
 Misha 06 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

Same here, twice. It's hardly crag swag which has been abandoned due to being stuck! The recent case of the woman who got done for theft for picking up a £20 note dropped in a shop comes to mind.
 Lemony 06 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

I've done this before. In fairness, one red Lapis brush looks much like another red Lapis brush and I didn't notice I had two for a couple of weeks afterwards.
 Andy Say 06 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

I've had exactly the same thing. Someone nicked the yard brush I'd stashed at Crag X to help with cleaning and, then, I found the buggers had burned the handle. What use is a yard brush without a handle!

Probably the same people.
In reply to Misha:

> Same here, twice. It's hardly crag swag which has been abandoned due to being stuck! The recent case of the woman who got done for theft for picking up a £20 note dropped in a shop comes to mind.

Bummer! Have you had left any other brushes and had them handed in? Because if not, between you me and my friend that would be 4 brushes left, 0 returned. Trangia has no use for that many brushes surely?
 rallymania 06 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

could you label you're next brush with your name and phone number?
 petellis 06 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

At least its only a brush... My gri-gri made it to lost property (the wall staff member remembered picking it up from where I had left it), but I never got it back. No point in having lost property if stuff just gets pinched from it...
In reply to petellis:

Geez, that's absolutely not on. What happened after that? I'd be livid.
 Lord_ash2000 06 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

Which walls do you lot go to? I've left stuff at walls many times, things ranging from drinks bottles to ropes and always just picked them up form the desk next time.
 bouldery bits 06 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

Yes, mine was pilfered from the wall.
It's even got my name on it!
 Lemony 06 Mar 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Yes, mine was pilfered from the wall.It's even got my name on it!

...and Oral B ProExpert is such a distinctive name as well!
 AlanLittle 06 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

Somebody had the cheek to hand in my finger repair kit complete with tape, files, nail clippers etc - but nicked the Climb On cream.
In reply to rallymania:

Well, I do tag most of my gear with my name and number but had not done so with this brush. Considering a sublime brush is about the cost of a quickdraw I think I will in future.
 JLS 06 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

I thought this was going to be about one of those parasites that swoop in and nip up a problem, after you've just spend five minutes brushing the holds.
 Misha 06 Mar 2017
In reply to JLS:
I think it's usually the same person who nips up the problem you've brushed AND nicks our brush.
 petellis 07 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Geez, that's absolutely not on. What happened after that? I'd be livid.

Never saw the thing again...

But even more annoyingly when I lost my water bottle and the exact one wasn't in the "lost property" area I wasn't allowed to pick one of the 5 thousand they did have....
 stp 12 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

Tw*ts.

I had an old toothbrush for years until the head finally snapped off. I decided to splash out and buy a proper climbing one for a fiver. I only used it once and it disappeared after the first day.

I suppose people justify stealing them by the fact they're cheap and assuming the owner might not bother asking for lost property anyway. Still stealing imo. Maybe it's best to personalize them in some way.
Andrew Kin 13 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

Just so that you don't think everyone is after your brushes. I found and handed in a wallet on Friday at my local wall. Felt rather full too so I think I have countered most of the stolen brushes on here with my one act of honesty
 Tricky Dicky 13 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

The price they charge for those sublime brushes is daylight robbery anyway!!!!!
 nufkin 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

> The price they charge for those sublime brushes is daylight robbery anyway!!!!!

Nonsense. Tom Randall bags those boar with his very own hands
 spartacus 14 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:
A good opportunity to start using an electric brush;

Know you’re getting a superior clean* with the Oral-B electric wall-brush. This highly advanced brush features a boulderer-inspired round head that surrounds and cups each crimp with dynamic oscillating, rotating and pulsating movements to remove up to 100% more chalk and stuff than a regular manual brush. Comes with complimentary Beanie hat and can be engraved with your nickname.

* compared to a sh*te normal brush.
Post edited at 13:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...