UKC

INTERVIEW: Eimir McSwiggan: Irish Ice Queen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 07 Mar 2017
Eimir McSwiggan: An Irish ice climbing talent, 4 kbEimir McSwiggan had very successful UIAA Ice Climbing World Cup season in 2017 - winning Bronze and Silver in Durango (USA) and Cheongsong (KOR) respectively. The 38 year-old didn't have a typical introduction to ice climbing, though: a move from County Tyrone in Northern Ireland to South Korea in 2010 to start work as an English teacher provided a chance encounter with the sport.

Having finished 5th overall in the 2017 World Cup series, I sent Eimir some questions to find out a bit more about this talented climber whom you've probably never heard of...

Read more
 davkeo 08 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC Articles:

Well done Emir. Now that your moving back to Ireland perhaps you can help inspire an indoor/outdoor drytooling venue? Having a dedicated training venue for axes would be a great addition to an already active & growing climbing scene. I'd be happy to help out in getting something started.

I too left a job in Architecture in 2009 to go travelling/working abroad and discovered climbing along the way. I came back in 2013 and was more than pleasantly surprised at how incredible the trad climbing is here. Fairhead for one needs no introduction.

Plus, I am back working in Architecture now and can say that things have certainly improved in Dublin but I'm not so sure about the North.

Now if we could only get a tooling area sorted then we'd have it all.

Best of luck with the move & the climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...