UKC

churchill rocks on somerset boarder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kiwi boy 07 Mar 2017
Having driven down the A38 to Devon a few weeks ago i have noticed there is extensive clearance of srubs and vegitation from churchill rock and some crags a bit futher up the hill. I am aware they are out of bounds for climbing as there is access issues but i wonder if anyone knows why this is being cleared. Perhaps it is becuse of rock stability issues or is there some efforts being made to get access.
 bpmclimb 08 Mar 2017
In reply to kiwi boy:

I know some people find this very annoying (usually those with poor English), but every so often I can't help commenting, especially when there are SO many mistakes in one short post. So: sorry in advance, but ....

.... border. A boarder uses accommodation away from home (or gets on a boat, perhaps).
The personal pronoun should be upper case (as should the initial of Somerset, and Churchill Rock).
shrubs
vegetation
... there ARE access issues ....
because
... ARE there some efforts ......
Vector686 08 Mar 2017
In reply to bpmclimb:

Wonderful reply.
 Dave Garnett 08 Mar 2017
In reply to bpmclimb:
Grammatically admirable, lacking only anything resembling an answer to the perfectly intelligible question!
Post edited at 19:24
 leland stamper 08 Mar 2017
In reply to kiwi boy:

Bravely ignoring the grammar issue, I live over the top of this little gem. I've been trying to work out what the "owner" of the old quarry next to the northern outcrop is up to. He's been trimming away for a few months now although I've yet to see him The southern outcrop , up the hill, is open for climbing as it's on CROW land according to N. Somerset CC. Some great little routes there!
 bpmclimb 09 Mar 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> Grammatically admirable, lacking only anything resembling an answer to the perfectly intelligible question!

Fair point! Criticising others' English rarely goes down well; I'm often tempted, but almost always manage to restrain myself. Yesterday's post was in the nature of an occasional treat

To the OP: forgive my rudeness. I know the crag in question, but I'm unable to shed any light on recent activity there, sorry.
 GridNorth 09 Mar 2017
In reply to bpmclimb:

I'm with you. Language is important sometimes extremely so. I saw a sign at some temporary road work lights yesterday. It said "Wait here while the green light shows" at the other end it said "Wait here until the green light shows". To me the former sounds like the opposite of what was intended and could have resulted in a nasty accident.

Al
 Chris_Mellor 09 Mar 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

i Is down on gramer coreksun
 bpmclimb 10 Mar 2017
In reply to GridNorth:

> I'm with you. Language is important sometimes extremely so. I saw a sign at some temporary road work lights yesterday. It said "Wait here while the green light shows" at the other end it said "Wait here until the green light shows". To me the former sounds like the opposite of what was intended and could have resulted in a nasty accident.Al

That's careless - and positively alarming!

Avoiding ambiguity can be a challenge even with correct English. My favourite example is "Dogs must be carried on escalators".
 fred99 10 Mar 2017
In reply to bpmclimb:

How about;

"This door is alarmed" - didn't know doors could get so emotional.
 GridNorth 10 Mar 2017
In reply to kiwi boy:

And don't even get me started on "sending" routes

Al
 Fishmate 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Vector686:
Wonderfully unnecessary, unpleasant, unkind, self satisfactory and completely lacking in any signs of emotional intelligence. Was that what you meant? Or are you approving of bullying someone asking a perfectly, as Dave points out, intelligible question.
Post edited at 13:29
 bpmclimb 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Fishmate:

> unnecessary, unpleasant, unkind, self satisfactory and completely lacking in any signs of emotional intelligence

Many thanks for providing such a complete diagnosis. What insight, to deduce so much, and with such certainty and confidence, from one short post! I'm particularly impressed by the bit about emotional intelligence - although I'm not quite sure I fully understand it. Perhaps I could book a few sessions with you in order to explore it more fully?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...