UKC

6 Nations predictions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 09 Mar 2017
So then it promises to be a cracking weekend of rugby with potentially two very close games.

Friday night sees the Boyo's have home advantage over the visiting Bogtrotters, however this I feel will not be enough as they have been well off colour this year and seem far too formulaic in their approach. They never the less have very good players who can trouble any team but the Irish have a more rounded side, add into which Stander is playing his socks off!

Italy France wont be much of a contest, just a matter of France by how many.

And then as an England fan the main event. Scotland have been great so far, fantastic to watch and really glad they are making the most of the potential in the side. Some Lions starters in the side for sure. Its going to be very tight for the first 60 however the benches are going to make the difference. When you can bring on Billy V, Anthony Watson and Ben T'eo with the others being powerful and dynamic too it makes a huge difference.

Cant wait
 Shani 09 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Surely a classic 6N weekend of rugby ahead!

Ireland have always found Cardiff to be a happy hunting ground. Wales will be in it for the fight to rescue their seasons so I expect a lot of fireworks but an Irish win. Oh, and as Gatland said, the Welsh hate the Irish. LOTS of handbags.

England vs Scotland is intriguing. It should be England's to lose as we have Billy back. But Scotland are the form team and will have their tales up. England to win a tight and tense match.

Co'S to field an Italian team dressed in DPM to confuse the French - but the French should rack up the points....and take the win.
 Shani 10 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

0 sleeps to kick-off!
OP the sheep 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Shani:

The weekend has landed, just need to see to this work lark, cycle home to work up a thirst and let the fun and games commence
 coinneach 10 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

I fancy Ireland to beat Wales tonight.

Scotland have nothing to lose tomorrow. England are too strong for us on paper and have a formidable bench . . . But put our first half v Ireland and our second v Wales together and who knows?

France by a shed load.
OP the sheep 10 Mar 2017
In reply to coinneach:

The burning question now is do I drop Farrell from my fantasy side??
 Horse 10 Mar 2017
In reply to coinneach:

I'd like to think Ireland could bury Wales with Murray & Sexton showing up the two renta gob Welsh half backs so the latter can book their summer hols in Torremolinos tomorrow morning. I have a feeling I might be disappointed, Wales by 5.

France should thump Italy even allowing for O'Shea delving into the finest of fine print in the nether regions of the Laws.

The last game is fascinating, the form team against a misfiring lot that somehow keep winning but must surely be running out of luck. I suspect Eddie has a game plan aiming to bully and sap the strength/will of the visitors for an hour or so, then mug 'em with his finishers. I can see that backfiring badly unless white are bang on the money; blue are very unlikely to be compliant, expect a good old fashioned, fast paced pick & go, counter attack against what has become a rather leaky defence. Should be as cracker too close to call, if pushed I'll go with Home advantage just.
 BnB 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse:

Who'd have thought before the tournament started that a Wales win tonight could mean the Calcutta Cup is for the championship!!
 martinturner 10 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

I recon the best team that can run the best, with the egg, will win!
Like sports day all over again!
Moley 10 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

I shall soon be walking to the local for the game, hoping for a Welsh win but I honestly don't have great grounds to be optimistic.
But never mind, a Welsh country pub, good beer, free grub (bowl of chilli) at half time, then headtorch on and stagger the 11/2 mile home. You never know, we may all be smiling at the final whistle.
 gribble 10 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Wah! I'm working until 8.30 tonight. Any chance they can delay it for me?
 Shani 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Moley:

> ...a Welsh country pub, good beer, free grub (bowl of chilli) at half time, then headtorch on and stagger the 11/2 mile home...

What a cracking evening!
 andy 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Shani:

Class is permanent - George North, eh? Boom.

Cracking game so far - massive hits all round.
Gone for good 10 Mar 2017
In reply to andy:

And again!! Didn't see this score coming. Ireland running out of patience and making mistakes. Very unusual.
 andy 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Gone for good:

A long way from over though - Wales having another cracking game defensively.
 Welsh Kate 10 Mar 2017
In reply to andy:

It's a cracking game whoever you support, both sides running some exciting lines.
 andy 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Must be two best back rows in the tournament battering each other.
 Oceanrower 10 Mar 2017
In reply to andy:

YES !!!!!!
What a game.
 andy 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

What a performance from Wales, eh? Brilliant to see.
 Welsh Kate 10 Mar 2017
In reply to andy:

Yeah, well chuffed for them. Really glad they've finally shown what they can do.
 Shani 10 Mar 2017
In reply to andy:

Yep. North bringing the hurt. Great game. Proper arm wrestle.

Henshaw will rue that foolish 'in at the side'.
Gone for good 10 Mar 2017
In reply to andy:

Cracking game and a well deserved win in the end for Wales. Great to see Jamie Roberts muscle his way over the line.
I thought Biggar had a shocker though.
>
 Horse 10 Mar 2017

Good game for the neutral to enjoy. A Scotland win tomorrow would make the final weekend interesting.
 andy 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse:

> Good game for the neutral to enjoy. A Scotland win tomorrow would make the final weekend interesting.

Inverdale struggling to stop assuming England will win tomorrow on the red button debate. Suspect Scotland may have something to say about that...
 Welsh Kate 10 Mar 2017
In reply to andy:
Let's hope so. Squishing Inverdale's smugness is sufficient reason for desiring an England loss!!
Post edited at 22:41
 Horse 10 Mar 2017
In reply to andy:

I hit the mute button when Invertwat opens his gob. Scotland ain't turning up to take a routine spanking, they are a good side and should give England a fright or two. Hopefully it will be another good game.
 Horse 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Don't lump us all in with that serial idiot.
 Welsh Kate 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse:

That's ok. JD can be just as infuriating at times!
 sjminfife 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse:

Even that description flatters him !!!
 Horse 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

He just gets a bit excited, it is windbag Butler who gets annoying unless Moore is there to tell him to put a sock in it. O'Connell has brought something fresh to the analysis and by far the best commentator is Cotter.
 Welsh Kate 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse:

Cotter is superb, a worthy successor to Bill McLaren.
Moley 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Shani:

Woooooo...Hooooooo
That was a staggering walk home, brilliant result and lots of smiles from the heart of Wales.
 Shani 11 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

A MAHOOOOOOOOSIVE day of rugby:

Vern Cotter's last 6N.
Triple Crown on offer. Could the Scots do it?
Haven't beaten us since 2008.
Haven't won at Twickenham since 1983.
They're up for it.
Record equalling 18 win on cards for us.

Good luck Scotland...and...COME ON ENGLAND!
Gone for good 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Shani:

Yellow card was the right decision. England profit.
 andy 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Gone for good: Scotland desperately unlucky with injuries. England looking a bit more like it.

In reply to andy:

Scotland have lost half of their first choice starting 15. What a different game this could be with Laidlaw, Strauss, Hogg, Bennett, Taylor etc still playing.
England looking good for a record equalling 18 consecutive wins.
 nathan79 11 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

It's not always a bad thing being stuck at work and unable to watch the biggest game of the tournament (from my perspective). Hearing humiliation on the radio is slightly better than seeing it. More bad luck with injuries.

The worst part of it is that I forgot to put Jonathon Joseph back in my fantasy team!
OP the sheep 11 Mar 2017
In reply to nathan79:
Wow, wasn't expecting this score line
 BnB 11 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Wow. I was expecting an arm wrestle. 61 points!!
In reply to the sheep:

I think we can officially class that as a thrashing!
 gribble 11 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

How nice to see England back on form again. A rather special scoreline!
OP the sheep 11 Mar 2017
In reply to gribble:
Indeed, bring on Ireland who took one hell of a physical beating last night.

Horse 11 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Over as a contest in 20 minutes. Dublin will be a lot harder.
 andy 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse: Can someone tell Mike Brown that passing's allowed though? I don't think I saw him pass the ball all game.

Horse 11 Mar 2017
In reply to andy:

I think he regards it as a risky ploy compared to bashing into the biggest thing in front of him. I think his time is coming to an end, Watson or Daly are the long term options.
 Horse 11 Mar 2017
In reply to nathan79:

> forgot to put Jonathon Joseph back in my fantasy team!

I didn't
 BnB 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse:

> I think he regards it as a risky ploy compared to bashing into the biggest thing in front of him. I think his time is coming to an end, Watson or Daly are the long term options.

Brown has recorded the most yards of any player in the 6 Nations by some distance and rarely turns over possession with a loose pass for fear of contact. Great under some testing kicks as well. One of England's best performers on a standout day.

Plenty of praise for the halfbacks and deservedly so but Itoje, Launchbury and Lawes however were all immense. And I thought Hughes had his best game at no 8.
 Horse 11 Mar 2017
In reply to BnB:
But too often with Brown all his good work is let down by going to ground or taking contact rather than a pass to keep things going. And most of his yards are running from a long way back with nowt in front of him.

The forwards rarely get the credit they deserve when the likes of JJ are scoring for fun, people forget the Donkeys decide the victory the Dancers the quantum. At least JJ acknowledged the work of those who created the space for him. Lawes is getting back to something like his youthful best, Launchbury just oozes class; heavens knows what happens when George Kruis is fit again. Itoje is growing into the blind side roll and is doing a good line in being a wind up merchant and not shy of getting his handbag out, can't help but like him. They are all in for a huge physical shift next weekend because Ireland will ask some very different and difficult questions.
Post edited at 19:38
Gone for good 18 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse:

I watched the women's game last night. It was first class rugby, physical; skilful and very committed. Ireland proved to be strong opponents but England running and class with ball in hand was superb.

As for today.
Scotland to beat Italy by plus 10 although Italy do tend to save their best performances for the Scottish game.
France to beat Wales.
England to beat Ireland but only just.
 andy 18 Mar 2017

The women's game was brilliant, eh? Interesting that in both games last night the predicted wind advantage proved to be anything but, with the team playing into the wind in the second half having the better of it.

Scotland to win with a stonking performance.
Wales to beat France in a close one.
Logic says an England win given injuries and respective squads but I have a feeling the Irish might spoil the party - Ireland by a score (but I hope not!!).
 Horse 18 Mar 2017
In reply to andy:

I was busy last night but had the commentary on, sounded a good game and took the visitors quite a while to break the resistance of the locals. U20 chaps also got a Slam yesterday. Well done to both teams.

Home advantage to tell in Edinburgh and Paris. No idea what will happen in Dublin, all along I've said no slam, a close game and Ireland to win so I'll stick with that. Either way probably a one score game.
In reply to Horse:

Scotland made short work of the Italians.
A good tournament for them, last weekend aside, with 3 wins and an emotional send off for Vern Cotter.
The French are looking interested and Wales are hanging on at the moment.
Jonathon Davies should go on the sick with that squeaky voice.
 Oceanrower 18 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

Definitely looks like France want it more.
 Horse 18 Mar 2017
In reply to Oceanrower:

The usually very good Mr Barnes is doing them no favours.
 Coel Hellier 18 Mar 2017

> Jonathon Davies should go on the sick with that squeaky voice.

Jonathan you'know Davis should, you'know, stop saying "you'know"several times every you'know sentence.

It is, you'know, annoying. If he can't stop saying it then, you'know, they should, you'know, get someone else.
In reply to Coel Hellier:
How did Wales get away with that?
A deliberate block on Guirado by Rhys Webb and a deliberate knock on over on the wing?
Post edited at 15:59
In reply to Coel Hellier:
Looks like Wales will hang on! France found wanting......again.

How can 1 scrummage take 10 minutes????? Madness!
Post edited at 16:49
 Horse 18 Mar 2017

Continual penalties, send a few off.
 FactorXXX 18 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse:

Madness!
In reply to Horse:
Bitegate!
Shocking end to the game.

A shocking end to the game. Sympathy for Wales who played the better rugby.
Post edited at 17:05
 Dr.S at work 18 Mar 2017

Longest game of rugby without intentional extra time?!
In reply to Dr.S at work:
England doing well to be only 7 points adrift at this stage.
Post edited at 17:49
 coinneach 18 Mar 2017

Any game with Brian Moore co commentating is the longest . . . .
 Dr.S at work 18 Mar 2017
In reply to coinneach:

Moore? Surely you mean this ITV muppetry!
 coinneach 18 Mar 2017

I had my rant at Mullins a few weeks ago.
In reply to coinneach:

England have done nothing today with ball in hand. Their luck has ran out.

An all round average showing by England and Ireland deserved winners today.

All great runs must come to an end and this one just did. Shame they couldn't break the record.

andy 18 Mar 2017
Superb control from Ireland. England outplayed pretty much everywhere.

And hopefully dropping the ball at the end will ne the last we see of Mike Brown. Daly has to be the future at 15, surely.
 Horse 18 Mar 2017
Fairly typical old skool wet day game in Dublin. Ireland just denied England the ball and when they did get it made sure they were going backwards. Well done for Ireland sticking to the plan. The only surprise is England didn't seem to have prepared for the Irish Plan A.
Post edited at 19:07
 Shani 18 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse:
Well done Matt!

TEAM NAME MANAGER TOTAL
Black Sheep XV England Matt Barker 393
The Hype England Graham Gedge 392
CumberReggie Wales Reginald Trubshaw 390
Fowler's Floppers Scotland Euan Fowler 388
TheSpurtles2017 Scotland Jack Frost 382
Sloper's Proles Ireland Tom O'Rourke 375
Oscaig's Warriors Scotland Ian Cramman 375
Beyond The Wall Ireland Luke Connolly 371
No chancers England Carl Matthews 369
Trumple's Thinskins England Christopher Williams 366
Louis` Losers Scotland Louis Allen 366
Boulder Ruckle Bandits England Robin Woodward 355
CJ STANDMEAPINT Ireland Barry Keane 337
*insert punny team name * Scotland Ruaridh Macmillan 335
Classic V Diff Scotland Matthew Berry 335
Dr.Strangegloves War-room England Paul Macfarlane 313
Johnny Walker 1200 15 England John Walker 308
Coinneach's Colts Scotland Coinneach Mac 300
The FIfe Fly-halves Scotland Nathan Francis 298
Post edited at 19:26
 Dr.S at work 18 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:
Great tournament, everybody bringing something to the party, with the exception of Italy I felt any one team could beat any other.

Roll on the Lions.....
Clauso 18 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse:

Buggerment... I was unfortunate enough to watch it in the 'company' of a gobby Irishman in my local. His gob was doing okay, until he started crowing about how nice it was to see the boys do a job at Croker. I called fake, at that point.
 Horse 18 Mar 2017
In reply to Shani:

Picking Sexton today then making Hogg my kicker was reminiscent of Philippe Saint Andre selection policy!
In reply to Shani:

9th???? I was 5th this morning!!! Should have picked more Scotsmen and Leigh Halfpenny as my kicker!
 coinneach 18 Mar 2017
In reply to Clauso:

Cracking tournament altogether ( apart from last week's Twickenham nightmare ). Would have taken three wins on day one.

Just need zero Scots picked for the Lions now to allow Townsend a relaxed team building summer tour.
In reply to coinneach:

Hogg is a definite. So is Johnny Gray.
OP the sheep 19 Mar 2017
In reply to Shani:
Result, happy days. Plus I have Tigers Vs Exeter to look forward to in the Anglo Welsh cup later on as well.
 Shani 19 Mar 2017
In reply to Horse:

> No idea what will happen in Dublin, all along I've said no slam, a close game and Ireland to win so I'll stick with that. Either way probably a one score game.

Spot on, Horse.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...