UKC

Adidas' crass 'White Mountaineering'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 09 Mar 2017
Adidas have named their new shoe line 'White Mountaineering'. What a crap name. It just sounds gross. And the shoes are awful too.

http://www.adidas.com/us/white_mountaineering-shoes

I just saw the name stencilled onto a shop window, so I suspect they're trying to go big with it. I also saw last week big queues on two days which I think were people lining up to buy them before the store opened. I just can't grasp why they would choose that name...
 bouldery bits 09 Mar 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

B2's right?
 FactorXXX 09 Mar 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

Maybe they like Five Ten Whites and decided that the name was good: -

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=659894
 Ridge 09 Mar 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

> Adidas have named their new shoe line 'White Mountaineering'. What a crap name. It just sounds gross. And the shoes are awful too. http://www.adidas.com/us/white_mountaineering-shoesI just saw the name stencilled onto a shop window, so I suspect they're trying to go big with it. I also saw last week big queues on two days which I think were people lining up to buy them before the store opened. I just can't grasp why they would choose that name...

According to the website:

"Since 2006, Japanese label White Mountaineering has fused technical outdoor wear with street-inspired details. In partnership with adidas Originals, they reinterpret heritage styles for modern appeal"

Basically a label that sounds cool in Japan, and has nowt to do with mountaineering. In other news Superdry t-shirts aren't waterproof
 Robert Durran 09 Mar 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> According to the website:"Since 2006, Japanese label White Mountaineering has fused technical outdoor wear with street-inspired details. In partnership with adidas Originals, they reinterpret heritage styles for modern appeal"

My bollocks meter has just exploded.
 The Lemming 09 Mar 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> My bollocks meter has just exploded.

You may find this useful

youtube.com/watch?v=HQey-2LP1E4&
OP SenzuBean 09 Mar 2017
In reply to Ridge:

> According to the website:"Since 2006, Japanese label White Mountaineering has fused technical outdoor wear with street-inspired details. In partnership with adidas Originals, they reinterpret heritage styles for modern appeal"Basically a label that sounds cool in Japan, and has nowt to do with mountaineering. In other news Superdry t-shirts aren't waterproof

Doesn't make the name any better.
 Big Ger 09 Mar 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

> Adidas have named their new shoe line 'White Mountaineering'.

Racism!!!!!

john arran 09 Mar 2017
In reply to Ridge:

Apparently the term 'mountaineering' successfully encompasses all BMC member activities from plodding up Everest to pulling plastic down the wall. Even so, I'd still think the BMC would have its work cut out trying to represent those whose main aim is "technical outdoor wear with street-inspired details."
OP SenzuBean 09 Mar 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Racism!!!!!

No need to remind everyone about the chip on your shoulder - we all know it's there
 Ridge 09 Mar 2017
In reply to john arran:
> Apparently the term 'mountaineering' successfully encompasses all BMC member activities from plodding up Everest to pulling plastic down the wall. Even so, I'd still think the BMC would have its work cut out trying to represent those whose main aim is "technical outdoor wear with street-inspired details."

People who wear Arcteryx?

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=gb&language=en&gender=mens&mod...
Post edited at 21:34
In reply to Ridge:

I'm hoping it means 'short sleeve', and not 'schutzstaffel'...

Bit of a gaffe, though...
 Chris Harris 09 Mar 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I'm hoping it means 'short sleeve', and not 'schutzstaffel'...Bit of a gaffe, though...

Could be worse...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2222783.stm

In reply to Chris Harris:

WTF...? How ignorant do you have to be?

What next? 'Final Solution' trainers?
Andy Gamisou 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> My bollocks meter has just exploded.

Ouch!
In reply to captain paranoia:

> WTF...? How ignorant do you have to be?What next? 'Final Solution' trainers?

I was thinking "Straight Mountaineering"
Wouldn't want anyone of any other sexual orientation walking on my mountains .

Before you all start , ITS A JOKE.

Dave Garnett 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> I was thinking "Straight Mountaineering" Wouldn't want anyone of any other sexual orientation walking on my mountains .Before you all start , ITS A JOKE.

Seems fair enough, nobody complained about Think Pink.
Removed User 10 Mar 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

It appears to be that you can't use the words white/black/brown without being accused of being a racist. The words are colours and can be used in many contexts not just to describe ethnicity i.e. white socks, brown shoes, black belt. If I had seen a sign in a window saying white mountaineering shoes i would have thought winter/ snow footwear not these shoes are only suitable for white europeans. There's an outdoor company in the UK called "blacks" - being a white European i have never been refused entry to their stores and told african carribeans only. There is no mob outside their stores waving anti Nazi league banners. Before you accuse me of being racist, people who know me would attest to the fact that I am pro active in challenging "isms" and "phobias" but I think you are reading something into nothing. However if an organisation representing african Caribbean or Asian people lodged a complaint because it caused offense then I would evaluate my position.
 timjones 10 Mar 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

> I just can't grasp why they would choose that name...

That's a bit rich coming from someone who has apparently named themselves after a bean
In reply to Big Ger:
> Racism!!!!!

On the contrary, if a Japanese company wants to use the colour white in its name ('White Mountaineering', 'White Things' etc) because there is a positive cultural association of the colour white with purity in Japan then it's racist for white Europeans to think their recently developed sensitivities to the names of colours should take priority.
Post edited at 11:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...