UKC

Check Lower-off at Millstone Embankment Area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GeorgT 09 Mar 2017
Millstone Edge

Hi,

We noticed the slings/lower-off at Millstone edge at Embankment area seriously needed replacing. Unfortunately we didn't have any spare tat, or a knife to cut the existing lower-off rope.

If you're thinking of heading here, please check the ropes before thinking of lowering off them. They are in need of replacement badly!

Thanks!
 ashtond6 09 Mar 2017
In reply to GeorgT:

That is crazy! We replaced them in like April 2015 with brand new stuff
 jimjimjim 09 Mar 2017
In reply to GeorgT:

Hmm...didn't look too bad to me not long ago. Just because there a bit mucky they're still plenty strong.
 Simon Caldwell 10 Mar 2017
In reply to GeorgT:

Still no replies suggesting people climb to the top and walk off? UKC ain't what it used to be...
 Michael Hood 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell: More importantly, it also seems to suggest that people are missing out on the wondrous 2nd pitches of Embankment Routes 2 & 3.

Offwidth 11 Mar 2017
In reply to GeorgT:

Can you say exactly what is wrong with them. Rope lower offs are normally safe unless the core is visibly damaged. Also nearly any tat lower off tends to be a victim for removal by passing trad purists. We put up new rope lower offs at Aldery that didn't last a year.
 sfletch 11 Mar 2017
In reply to ashtond6:

Cough *double bolt belay*
 Ann S 11 Mar 2017
In reply to GeorgT:

For general awareness re. Ab tat, this was an interesting report from BMC technical committee.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/abseil-slings-when-ants-attack
 Rick Graham 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Ann S:

> For general awareness re. Ab tat, this was an interesting report from BMC technical committee.https://www.thebmc.co.uk/abseil-slings-when-ants-attack

Thanks for that.

The mice in the Duddon Valley are quite efficient as well.
 Ann S 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

I have to confess that in all the time I've been climbing and abbing, it had never occurred to me that attack by the local wildlife might be a cause of damage to in situ tat.

I put it down to being a total townie and small critters don't appear on my radar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...