UKC

Ben Nevis conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 09 Mar 2017
Is there anything in condition on the Ben at the moment, other than the ridges? It's warm tomorrow, and even warmer Sat/Sun before getting colder again. Long term that's good, but is there anything in condition now that might survive and be worthwhile over the weekend? Failing that, how about Lochnagar? Wishful thinking maybe...
 Tricadam 09 Mar 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Green Gully's been climbed a couple of times this week, including today. The potential lack of a freezing level on Sat/Sun might make it a bit suboptimal from a protection point of view, but there should be plenty of stuff in it, with more to follow as the contents of the plateau ooze downwards! On the other hand, melt could see all sorts of things falling down and being funnelled down the gullies... Keep an eye on the Aonach Mor weather station temps and judge it on that basis.
 luckyjim 10 Mar 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Green gully is climbable but its mainly snow/ice and won t take an ice screw !
 Tricadam 10 Mar 2017
In reply to luckyjim:

Sounds about right!
 CurlyStevo 11 Mar 2017
In reply to luckyjim:
It typically varies a lot that route. Isn't there often rock gear available where you need it? seem to remember there being enough when I did it in (easy) neve conditions.
Post edited at 08:28
OP NottsRich 13 Mar 2017
Thanks all for the advice, we had a cracking day out on Point Five.

Not really. Didn't bother in the end, and the Aonach Mor weather station shows that was probably the right choice in hindsight!
 Tricadam 13 Mar 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

Hahaha, nice one! Yeah, defo the right choice, unless you fancied Tower Ridge under slush. I was skiing and it was as warm as the thermometer indicated! Met a team who'd gone up Golden Oldy and described it as being in what I would term predictably disgusting condition.

On the other hand, the forecast for this week into next is favouring good conditions building on the higher ice routes...
James Jackson 13 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I had a fun day skiing in the Northern Cairngorms on Saturday, on definitely wet snow. After an impromptu birthday party in Aviemore, I drove over to Fort William with the aim of skiing there on the Sunday, but was presented with rainrainrain. So I drove home.
 Hidden 16 Mar 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

What's everybodies thoughts for this weekend?
 peebles boy 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Hidden:

Mountain biking.
estivoautumnal 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Hidden:

> What's everybodies thoughts for this weekend?

1st choice...Pub.
2nd choice...Work and take extra days off in spring.
OP NottsRich 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Hidden:

Desperate for a climb vs. getting avalanched/rained on/blown off the hill.
Rigid Raider 17 Mar 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

RR Junior's 18th birthday today so we are on a late Air Fungus flight to Cork for the weekend. It will be mostly dodging showers and drinking Murphy's I expect; he's going to buy his Dad his first pint.
 BnB 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> RR Junior's 18th birthday today so we are on a late Air Fungus flight to Cork for the weekend. It will be mostly dodging showers and drinking Murphy's I expect; he's going to buy his Dad his first pint.

It'll be your first pint? At your age?
OP NottsRich 17 Mar 2017
One of my reasons for not climbing tomorrow was the avalanche risk, or so I thought. I had assumed that given the amount of fresh snow that was forecast today and tonight (15cm+ last time I looked) and strong westerly winds, that the risk would be high tomorrow. Instead, the forecast risk for tomorrow is less than today, at Moderate. It even says no significant snow accumulations expected. Mountain-Forecast and yr.no both agree about wind and snow today/tonight. Anyone care to help me understand why the risk is significantly lower tomorrow than I thought it would be? I haven't been on the Ben recently so I'm a bit out of touch with the conditions up there at the moment.
 Rich W Parker 17 Mar 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

The temp went up, it rained and washed out the fresh.
 Hidden 17 Mar 2017
 Tricadam 18 Mar 2017
In reply to NottsRich:

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3041.html Unfortunately the temperature peak coincided with the rain that Rich P mentions... Was a similar story in the Norries, though the neve was surprisingly good in the easy Sneachda gullies today. Given the consolidation, those should be fine tomorrow. I bumped into a couple of guys who had got up Deep Throat in good nick just before the temporary thaw.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...