UKC

Vobster & Mells - Family Walk suggestions please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bobling 10 Mar 2017
I'm after some local knowledge (for local people) please!

I've been for a walk from Mells up the Wadbury Valley to the old Iron Works (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Iron_Works,_Mells) and it was very nice. I've got a couple of kids (3&5) and it was nice and short, flat yet had plenty of interest. I think there's plenty more industrial archaeology around that locale that would be good for a family explore - old train tracks and things like that. Can anyone with local knowledge help me out? I'm off to a kitchen showroom tomorrow near there so want a nice thing to do afterwards.
In reply to Bobling:

Try the woods round Nettlebridge (just off the A367, south of Stratton on the Fosse). The village is alongside a road that would once have been the main road, but which is now bypassed. Park at the southern end of that road and go through the gate to access paths through the woods. It's not hugely large but is quite scenic; if you can find the stream (grid ref 653479) there's an old mill with a small waterfall, and then another nice path alongside it running upwards. It's quite a charming spot.

Alternatively, or better as well, go and see the castle at Nunney. It's another charming place, pocket size but with a moat and jackdaws wheeling about the ruined turrets.

T.
OP Bobling 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Thanks - that's great.
 RANGITOTO 10 Mar 2017
In reply to Bobling:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/old-mendip/

Worth reading for more information about the area.
OP Bobling 11 Mar 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Thanks for the tip. We did try a walk near Vobster but had to abandon due to sodden fields and inappropriate footwear (no time to pack properly whilst kicking children out of house), so a Plan B of a visit to a Castle saved the day! It is a beauty though, very bijou. Looks like there would be a cracking walk you could do heading North from there up the river to the Wadbury Valley. Such an interesting locale.
In reply to Bobling:

Glad you enjoyed it, it is a very petite castle as these things go but with everything you want a castle to have. I haven't tried a walk north from there but may do as the weather improves. I also mean to have more of a look round Frome, there seem to be things to discover there too.

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...