UKC

Altering gear (bag)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dheorl 14 Mar 2017

I recently purchased a new bag, specifically a Mammut Trion Pro, and although in general I love it there are some alterations I'd like to make. Just sorta wondering in what ways other people might have altered bags, looking for inspiration/how to do things/advice as to what may go wrong.

First thing I'm definitely going to do, is make the front straps for the lid removable, probably trying to employ a similar method to the black diamond bags. Will cut the strap near the base and sow it into a flat loop, thread a piece of cord through it and tie with fishermans, and then sow a twisted loop on the long section. Should allow for a nice neat larks head and no long flapping straps when not using the lid. Might try something similar with the back straps as well but undecided.

Second is some dieting. I'm unlikely to have skis on the bag much, and when they do I'm happy to just keep them on with the compression straps, so the A-frame carry straps are going. They also stick out awkwardly which I don't like. Can fairly obviously see the structural stitching, so should be a simple case of unpicking and resowing the hem.

Further to this although the aluminium frame is removable, the mini frame within the back opening isn't. For the weight I'll be carrying I don't think it's necessary, so might remove completely or just put a flap so I can take it in and out as I please.

Hoping to get the stripped weight of the bag to below 1kg and a neater profile overall. Obviously not super-light by any means, and you may ask why not just buy a lighter bag with less stuff in the first place, but I like the toughness of the material, like the back opening and got it at a good price so I figure why not?

As mentioned, inspiration or advice is welcome, and I'll try to update as I work on it.
Post edited at 01:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...