UKC

Crevasse rescue practice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ROSP 14 Mar 2017
How would one practice crevasse recuse on a glacier with only two people available?

Cheers,

Ross
 splat2million 14 Mar 2017
In reply to ROSP:
Carefully.

But seriously you can build an anchor on the top first, attach (with dynamic rope) the person who is going to catch the fall (avoid too much slack, you don't want to shock load it, but if you want to practice holding the fall you'll need a little slack so make sure the anchor is bomb-proof). Then the other person jumps (or climbs slowly) in to a crevasse and then you practice from that position whatever type of solution you like.
Post edited at 11:49
cb294 14 Mar 2017
In reply to ROSP:

Also, no need to use an actual crevasse to begin with. Any steep bit of ice, e.g. at the side of the glacier, will do. If something goes wrong you can lower your partner to safety.

CB
 Nbrain 14 Mar 2017
In reply to ROSP:

We just used a bridge first time I practiced it to get the rope work skills.

If you are wanting to practice the snow and ice stuff then the top of an easy gully would be fine but make sure confident on the ground. Build an anchor and practice your pully system.
 Pbob 14 Mar 2017
In reply to cb294:

We used a bandstand in a city park, but waited until 2am to make sure we didn't draw attention.
 Dark-Cloud 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Pbob:

I would have thought that would have drawn more attention than not !

Years back when I was first starting out I spent hours on a local railway bridge practicing this and that, not sure that would work now, probably end up arrested....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...