UKC

Decent tent, sub £150 ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 14 Mar 2017
Had to retire my TNF Tadpole a while back and need to replace it with another single night 3/4 season tent for general wild camp duties etc, have a mountain marathon tent, a bigger base camp tent and a camper van!

So nothing flash, nothing too heavy (sub 2.5KG ideally) looking at the Vango Tempest or something like that, anything else worth considering ? Recommendations ?
 RyanOsborne 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've had a couple of the Wild Country ones that are part of the Terra Nova company, and they've been great - lasted well, well designed, easy to put up, comfy etc. I've had the Zepyhros 1 manner, and have a Tristar 2 man one.
 sxrxg 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-2-hiking-tent-2-man-grey-...

Weight is less than 2kg for £110. Not had a small tent from Decathlon however the inflatable family tent that I have is brilliant and i would not hesitate to recommend.
OP Dark-Cloud 14 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Cheers, the Coshee 2 looks like it might do the job
In reply to sxrxg:

Cheers, never though of looking at Decathlon, will take a look
 JuanTinco 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Surprisingly pleased with this

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-tempest-200-2-berth-tent-p139965

Not sure of it's weight though,

Juan
 angry pirate 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I had a similar dilemma a couple of years ago when my aged Wild Country Voyager gave up the ghost.
I picked up a Wild Country Zephyrus 2 which was very light but not very spacious and had a zip fault after a few outings. The warranty replacement had poorly adhered taping on the seams so i went for a refund and chucked the extra cash at an Alpkit Ordos 2. Only used it once so far but pleased with it.

We're replacing our fleet of Vaude Hogan tents for D of E and i think we'll be looking closely at the new Vango tents. Back when i worked in retail, their after sales was Bob on so they were the tent choice for groups.
 ElBarto 14 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Not sure why you got two dislikes but I can vouch for the Zepyhros 1 too.
Bellie 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
I've got a Tempest 200 and a campervan for sale : )

Edit - oh I see you meant you had a camper van!
Post edited at 17:59
 DaveHK 14 Mar 2017
In reply to ElBarto:

> Not sure why you got two dislikes but I can vouch for the Zepyhros 1 too.

Probably from those involved in the recent 'how crap are Wild Country / Terra Nova' thread.
 DaveHK 14 Mar 2017
In reply to angry pirate:

> We're replacing our fleet of Vaude Hogan tents for D of E and i think we'll be looking closely at the new Vango tents. Back when i worked in retail, their after sales was Bob on so they were the tent choice for groups.

We've got Vango tents (Tempest amongst others) for our DofE groups and they're a bit pants. Very fiddly for inexperienced users to pitch and easy to pitch in such a way that damage is caused to poles or fabric.

Despite all the recent dislike for Wild Country the Hoolies we have seem much better for DofE groups.

angry pirate 14 Mar 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

That's worth knowing. Thank you!
A bunch of our kids do World Challenge and they use some Vango tents that were really nice but i think they treat them as semi disposable.
 RyanOsborne 14 Mar 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

Must've missed that, always found mine to be great, and they've both had a fair bit of use.
 gethin_allen 14 Mar 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I had a tempest ages ago and had a few issues with poles breaking. On the largest pole there was a point where the pole diameter reduces and the poles broke twice at this point before I got rid of it. This was the only issue I had and the design may have changed since.
 CurlyStevo 14 Mar 2017
In reply to angry pirate:
vango tents don't seem to last well I've had the seams go on two tents with under 5 years moderate use and poles crack etc....
Post edited at 19:03
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks all, seems to be a love/hate theme going on here !
 ElBarto 14 Mar 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

I see, I must have missed that.
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
I'll have pretty much exactly the same dilemma in 12-18 months time when my TNF Tadpole 2DL finally needs replacement. They are a classic, reliable and proven design and TNF were idiotic to discontinue them!

My short answer is don't spend £150. Either spend £100 on a Vango Tempest 200 on the best deal you can find or spend £250+ on something properly decent like an MSR Hubba Hubba NX2.

I spent ten days backpacking in the Pyrenees in a Vango Tempest 200 back in 2010 and it's a perfectly serviceable tent. I've pitched probably several dozen other tents over recent years including most of the Vango range and it's the closest to the genuine 3 season performance of the Tadpole. However, it's still a cheap tent and compared to your Tadpole you'll notice the difference.

It don't rate any of the Wild Country tents that highly. Basically, they aren't any better than the Vango equivalents but generally cost more. I've looked closely at the Vephyros and Trisar and both have issues. (Also avoid the Terra Nova Voyager, it's far lighter than the Tadpole but inferior in pretty much every other respect and stupidly overpriced.)

The best option is probably to buy another Tadpole in near new condition second hand. If I can't do that, I intend to pay a bit more for something with equally good or better build quality.
Post edited at 12:23
 98%monkey 15 Mar 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have a Big Fat Frog you can have, the one with the bell - £50, good condition.
OP Dark-Cloud 15 Mar 2017
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

Cheers, I can't say i was ever that impressed with the Tadpole really, it was difficult to keep the inner and outer separated at a few points.

This one really isn't going to get used for more than a handful of nights a year so i think something like the Tempest will probably work juts fine.
 Jandwilson 15 Mar 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

The oex tents that go outdoors sell are really quite good. Could be worth checking out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...