UKC

Best bag for bouldering?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afx22 14 Mar 2017
I've been using the Moon Bouldering Bag for a couple of years and it's starting to fall apart (it's had plenty of use), so I'm looking at what else is available.

It's generally been pretty good but there are a few things where I think it could be improved;
- It's coming apart inside - where the internal pockets are
- The water bottle pocket is poor at retaining a water bottle. I lost a couple of bottles before adding a 'biner, so I can secure the bottle. I had to buy bottles that have a clipping point.
- It picks up mud too easily

Has anyone else found something better?

I generally carry two pairs of climbing shoes, a water bottle, one or two guidebooks, a compact shell type jacket, mini first aid kit, finger tape, one or two snacks, sunblock, a small camera and a gorillapod mini camera stand. My brushes live in the pockets of my chalk bucket.

Cheers,
 HeMa 14 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

Do you also carry a pad?

If yes, a nice IKEA bag stuff everything in (perhaps get the version with a zipper, or DIY). Put said bag inside the pad and you're done.

If you don't have a pad, you carry way too much (chalkbag, rug and shoes are enough... plus the downie that you wear).
OP afx22 14 Mar 2017
In reply to HeMa:

I carry one or two pads, plus a sit mat, depending on where I'm going and what I'm aiming to do. All the lot weighs 41lbs . I'm happy lugging that around.

I'd be worried about losing something (like the camera) from the Ikea bag.
 HeMa 14 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

> I'd be worried about losing something (like the camera) from the Ikea bag.

It's possible. Which is why use a normal (cheap) messanger bag for lunch, camera, car keys and so on. Shoes, chalk etc go in the Ikea bag and between the pad. Sometimes I just use the Ocun sitpad as it fully closes with a zipper. Though latelu our toddler has required the sitpad, so Ikea bags are again used.

OP afx22 14 Mar 2017
In reply to HeMa:

I quite like the idea of a bag within the Ikea bag. Thanks.
 Timmd 14 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

Is there any chance you could repair the bag with a needle and thread, a thimble and some superglue?

I've had good results in sewing gear back together and then reinforcing the sewing and any area a bit worn with superglue.
 snoop6060 15 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

Defo not an ikea bag if you don't want to lose your boots. Is it goin inside a pad? The NF postman bags are the right shape, bomb proof and don't pick up mud at all. Frequently come up on sale second hand for 25quid or so. Get the big one tho. Mine is 10 years old and doesn't look like it will ever fall apart.
 HeMa 15 Mar 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

> Defo not an ikea bag if you don't want to lose your boots.

Depends on the pad. Proper ones have flaps or zippers that keep everything inside, even without any bag at all. So the Ikea bag is to keep things in order and dry while 'on location'.

In reply to afx22: We've got one of The North Face Messenger bags mentioned above.

We don't us it too much (generally work stuff or as a travel or carry-on bag) but it's a good, robust and attractive bit of kit, albeit rather overpriced if you pay full retail price.

I've got a DMM Flight that I use for all my indoor, sport climbing and single pitch cragging which is superb but way too big for your needs. Ideally someone needs to make a smaller version with a similar clamshell design.
OP afx22 15 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Fixing it would be the sensible thing to do. Because I'm not so sensible I was looking at this as an opportunity to get something better. It's obvious that a better bag will help increase my bouldering grade
OP afx22 15 Mar 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

The NF bags looks pretty good. I shall take a look at those - thanks.
 galpinos 15 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

Patagucci Black Hole Messenger surely? You're saving the planet by buying stuff and you don't look like a chav punter who's just bowled out of Snow and Rock like you would with a TNF bag.

Obviously you'd have to upgrade your boulder bucket to an Organic one, get a new Sublime brush and and invest a month's wage in Friction Labs chalk but just think how much harder you'll climb......
OP afx22 15 Mar 2017
In reply to galpinos:

I already have the Sublime brush so it seems to I'll just have to...
 Timmd 16 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:
> Fixing it would be the sensible thing to do. Because I'm not so sensible I was looking at this as an opportunity to get something better. It's obvious that a better bag will help increase my bouldering grade

Reduce - reuse - recycle.

Polish environmental-halo
Post edited at 02:39
OP afx22 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Reduce - reuse - recycle. Polish environmental-halo

In my defence, I'd give my old bag away
 iccle_bully 17 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

I use a large dry bag that i just stuff inside my pad. Don't like having stuff on the front, especially for tricky walk-ins

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...