UKC

Lazy Sod with a sore foot complains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ogreville 14 Mar 2017
Hi All,

I've turned from an extremely active person (climbing and out in the mountains several times a week), to a hobbling mess in 10 months due to a problem with my foot - Pain at the big toe joint with foot. On top, but mostly on sole of foot.

I've seen a Podiatrist, physiotherapist and doctor. All had a different take on it, but none of them were willing to stick their necks out and give a definitive diagnosis. "do some stretches" "strap it up" "do more stretches".

I'm now left with the choice. Pump myself full of pain killers and get active again (risking further damage) or sit on the sofa with my foot up (which hasn't got any better while I've been inactive) and get fatter, unfitter and lazier than I already am.

....or maybe someone on here has a shotgun and is willing to take me out for 'The Long Walk' in the forest!
 ChrisBrooke 14 Mar 2017
In reply to ogreville:

Get into cycling or rowing?
 Chris the Tall 14 Mar 2017
In reply to ogreville:

Did none of them suggest orthotic insoles ?

The pain sound very similar to what I was suffering from a few years back - caused by fallen arches - and the orthotics did the trick
 arch 14 Mar 2017
 Derek Jamieson 14 Mar 2017
In reply to ogreville:

I have just had a similar problem and orthotics and compression socks seem to have done the trick. Plantar Fasciitis Compression Sleeve for Men & Women -
Sold by Physix Gear

PS I have no connection to this company.

Good luck

Derek
 Dave Garnett 14 Mar 2017
In reply to ogreville:

How painful is it on a scale 1 to 11? Does it look red and inflamed? How old are you?
Removed User 14 Mar 2017
In reply to ogreville:
You have my sympathy.

Had this for a few years now, a bone infection in right foot ate the toe joint then arthritis which is now in feet and hands caused pain which affects how I walk. Despite doing what you've done I still can't control it. Muscle /nerve pain which the swells the foot and moves daily around the muscle groups. Can go several months with no problem then out of the blue I'm laid up for weeks at a time, and the recovery time is getting longer. Just had some full-length orthotics made. The podiatrist says the body is getting used to the pain and is overcompensating itself in preparation so it's a catch 22. I can empathise with the being passed between various professionals. Podiatrist says just listen to the body and try and break the cycle! I guess years of wearing very tight climbing shoes didn't help
Post edited at 19:50
 Andrew Lodge 14 Mar 2017
In reply to ogreville:

See a good orthotist and get some decent orthotics made, don't go to a podiatrist for them.

Where in the country are you?
 Timmd 14 Mar 2017
In reply to ogreville:

If cycling doesn't case any/too much pain, it can't do any harm?
In reply to ogreville:
Loose the toe.

A good pair of bolt cutters should do the trick.

Post edited at 08:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...