UKC

Corbyn's Weekly Humiliation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 15 Mar 2017

Just quoting from the Beeb:

'A giant, embarrassing reversal from the government, a gift for the opposition, but the Labour leader instead was the one looking uncomfortable by the end of his weekly clash with Theresa May.'

Won't someone put him - and us - out of our misery please?
Post edited at 17:29
 Postmanpat 15 Mar 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

It was a bit like being awarded a penalty and deciding to aim for the half way flag. Utterly bizarre!
 MG 15 Mar 2017

The replies on his Twitter feed are painful. Basically "resign you fool" x 10000000
 summo 15 Mar 2017

I think it is like his post budget speech. He has an idea prepared in his head before the event, things happen that differ and he seems incapable of modifying what he says. No thinking on his feet at all.
 Big Ger 15 Mar 2017

> But Mr Corbyn said the government should "apologise" for the stress the announcement had caused Britain's 4.8m self-employed.

"Sorry guys, won't do it again, promise" Happy now Jezza?
 summo 15 Mar 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> "Sorry guys, won't do it again, promise" Happy now Jezza?

I just wish a politician would grow some. Tax needs to rise to pay for services and it should be fair and equal. Self employed or employee, you should pay the same rate.
 Rob Naylor 16 Mar 2017
In reply to summo:

> I just wish a politician would grow some. Tax needs to rise to pay for services and it should be fair and equal. Self employed or employee, you should pay the same rate.

Agree...IF you get the same benefits. But you don't. Part of the NI contribution nominally goes towards servicing various benefits which the self-employed just don't get, so IMO it's right that their contributions should be slightly lower (speaking as an employee here).
In reply to Rob Naylor:

Yes, but why people keep mentioning holiday pay I have no idea as that ISN'T anything to do with NI...
 summo 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Rob Naylor:

> Agree...IF you get the same benefits. But you don't. Part of the NI contribution nominally goes towards servicing various benefits which the self-employed just don't get, so IMO it's right that their contributions should be slightly lower (speaking as an employee here).

The problem is the fact that half the population still think their NICs go into some pot or are set aside for them to claim out of later etc.. rather than every penny being spent that year on anything.

The whole structure needs a clean sweep. Higher up front income tax. Then another percentage which goes into a pension fund or unemployment reserve pot, which is your alone.
You can have an annual statement showing this is your pension etc.. also if your claim all you unemployment pot then you fall back on a subsistence level state benefit. The more you personally set aside, the bigger your emergency or retirement pot is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...