UKC

For grammar pedants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 16 Mar 2017
Maybe, just sometimes, pedantry can be socially useful

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/16/oxford-comma-helps-drivers-wi...
 Shani 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Great story!
 GridNorth 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I refuse to accept that it's pedantic Or am I being too pedantic.

Al
In reply to Offwidth:

A beautiful demonstration of how much care should be taken to write clearly and unambiguously.
In reply to GridNorth:

It cannot be pedantic when people's livelihoods depend on how it is interpreted, i.e. what it really means.
Rigid Raider 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I've learned something today; always thought a comma was not appropriate before "and".
 Greasy Prusiks 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Where's your question mark?
 nniff 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Delightful. I hate legalese, wading through all those never-ending sentences. It's great to find wording that specifically excludes something that it probably meant to include.
 BusyLizzie 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I used to work for an organisation whose house style rules did not allow the Oxford comma - it is a brave soul who crosses me on punctuation but I did actually have to obey the rules and I did not like it. I think this story explains why. I like the result, but I don't think it's what the draftsman intended.
 freeflyer 16 Mar 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

If I had to work for an organisation with such a rule, I would spent my entire time concocting rants about house style rules, rants about grammar pedants, and sentences that required Oxford commas.
 BusyLizzie 16 Mar 2017
In reply to freeflyer:

Yes very good
 birdie num num 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

A beautiful demonstration of how much care should be taken to write clearly, and unambiguously.
 Jon Stewart 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I've heard the "Ayn Rand and God" example before, but that was worth reading for the Nelson Mandela sentence - an absolute belter.
In reply to birdie num num:

> A beautiful demonstration of how much care should be taken to write clearly, and unambiguously.

No, I think that's a completely redundant comma. Ideally, I would have taken a bit longer and found single adverb that did the job of that compound of two adverbs.
 BusyLizzie 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I am still pondering this one.

The style guide for our Parliamentary Counsel (the folk who draft our legislation), which is a public document:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/4...
(and is an entertaining read in itself) does not mention the Oxford comma, so far as I can see. Modern drafting seems to put lists of things into sub-paragraphs. Climbing gear includes
(a) nuts,
(b) slings and
(c) cams.
So overtime is not payable for
(a) harvesting,
(b) packing or
(c) distributing.
So a modern statute would not suffer from this problem.
 Rog Wilko 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:
Fascinating example of the importance of avoiding ambiguity. Reminds me of a famous author (can't remember who) who was asked to come up with a sentence in which an apostrophe was essential. This was his reply. Two women on the beach, one says "Are those things over there our husbands?"
Post edited at 10:18
 wercat 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Rog Wilko:

"The vicar wore nothing to distinguish himself from his parishioners".

"The vicar wore nothing, to distinguish himself from his parishioners".

came up in a school exam I seem to remember!
In reply to wercat:
Or how different could Moby Dick have started:

Call me Ishmael.

Call me, Ishmael.
 wercat 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Just Another Dave:

or even

Call me,

Ishmael.
 WaterMonkey 17 Mar 2017
In reply to wercat:

Let's eat out Grandma
or Let's eat out, Grandma.

And of course capitalisation is important. Helping your Uncle jack off a horse is different to helping your Uncle Jack off a horse..
 Toerag 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

This is the most amusing bit of grammar pedantry I've seen in ages:-
https://twitter.com/social_brains/status/841810115216908288/photo/1
 wintertree 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Should have used bullet points.
 wercat 17 Mar 2017
In reply to wintertree:

that only works if there are also clear logical parenthes expressed in words alone or in words and punctuation indicating inclusion, exclusion and combination. Bullet points alone do not provide that.
In reply to wercat:

Parenthes ?
 wercat 18 Mar 2017

You're quite right - it was poor editing! I don't know whether it is my inept typing or something about Windows 10 that makes the cursor jump to somewhere unexpected in the text for no reason that I can discern. I've come to expect that in an operating system that sometimes ignores me because it has decided to change the "focus" object, even when I'm in the process of typing a password.

Actually, "parenthes" sounds quite a good. Perhaps it is a word that ought to exist.
In reply to wercat:
I guess you meant parentheses rather than something like 'parameters'? In which case I suppose you meant that the ambiguity – to put it in terms of symbolic logic – is the confusion between:

Overtime is not payable for (harvesting v packing v distributing)

OR:

Overtime is not available for ((harvesting v packing) v distributing).

[Though the outer brackets aren't really necessary.]

The beauty, though, is that all this can be done perfectly clearly with the correct use of commas rather than the logical clumsiness/overkill of brackets.
Post edited at 19:22
 wercat 18 Mar 2017

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. I seem to remember hearing that one of the reasons that the language in legal documents used to be so strange was that it had to make sense even if the punctuation was omitted or was incorrect, lawyers having had centuries of experience in those problems. It was also said that they were paid by the word, which might be a more convincing explananation.
In reply to wercat:

I think your second explanation is closer to the truth But it's an incredible concept, isn't it, to make a piece of writing logically watertight without any punctuation at all.
Use short sentences.
Post edited at 19:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...