UKC

Napes Needle - abseil bolt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 16 Mar 2017
Can someone who has climbed it recently confirm whether or not there is an abseil bolt on the top? I 'd heard that one had been, or is to be installed, or is this a myth?
 mag 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I saw Corny carrying a red and white box up sty head last week, but he told me he was installing railings at the top of piers ghyll to stop people falling in it.
 Cusco 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

It was definitely there when I did it in 1998. A lovely Petzl with a ring. I can't think how anyone used to belay at the top and get off before the bolt appeared...
 Allovesclimbin 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I think Haskett Smith put one in but be careful, it's 130 odd years old ..
 coldfell 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Well as a Yorkshire lass I will reply in a literal fashion and confirm that there certainly was no bolt 2 and 5 years ago when I climbed it. Final moves very polished too!
 FactorXXX 16 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Apparently, it's going to be put in a fortnight Saturday.
 Fruit 17 Mar 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

I hope not
 Duncan Bourne 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:
Actually can't remember. But then again I did solo it so I wasn't looking.
 spartacus 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:
Is it worth considering via Ferrara type steps down the back where they wouldn't get seen?
 Ron Kenyon 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Dorchester:

This is not the 1st April - and was ok three years ago.

If you need a bolt or something like that to get down from the top then you should not be up there in the first place.

Not being elitist - it is safe for a trad rock climb.
 spartacus 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Ron Kenyon:
But wouldn't it make you feel uneasy if some walkers fell off?
 sammy5000 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Hi
Yes there is one in.we placed it about 6 weeks ago and run a zip line for an outdoor group which was great fun. We have not removed it yet though. I am going to remove it sunday. Unless there is a consensus for me to leave it in.
 Mark Kemball 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

This is getting silly, wait 'til 2 weeks on Saturday!
 wercat 17 Mar 2017
In reply to sammy5000:

was that the same group that was drytooling it?
 Olaf Prot 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Excellent - I am taking a large group there over the Easter Bank Holiday and we can do some toproping!
In reply to Trangia:

(Assuming this is just a sick joke, but ...) if anyone were to vandalise Napes Needle in this way, it would be the most shocking example in the entire history of our sport. The first ascent of Napes Needle in 1886 by Haskett Smith, in a very 'modern' way – solo, on sight, is usually taken to mark the beginning of rock climbing as a sport in our country. If anyone were to deface the Needle, it would simply mean that they've gone back to 1885 and are not yet as competent as Haskett Smith. In other words, that they are Victorian bumblies who don't understand the 'new', modern sport of rock climbing.
 Rick Graham 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> (Assuming this is just a sick joke, but ...) if anyone were to vandalise Napes Needle in this way, it would be the most shocking example in the entire history of our sport. The first ascent of Napes Needle in 1886 by Haskett Smith, in a very 'modern' way – solo, on sight, is usually taken to mark the beginning of rock climbing as a sport in our country. If anyone were to deface the Needle, it would simply mean that they've gone back to 1885 and are not yet as competent as Haskett Smith. In other words, that they are Victorian bumblies who don't understand the 'new', modern sport of rock climbing.

And if anybody did dare to put a bolt in the top ...would there be complaints on here about it being in a loose block?

Rocks in the wind apparently, wonder how long before it drops off?
In reply to Rick Graham:

> And if anybody did dare to put a bolt in the top ...would there be complaints on here about it being in a loose block?Rocks in the wind apparently, wonder how long before it drops off?

It would have to be a hell of a strong wind. My memory is that when you get to the top and move back to set up a belay, the whole top block rocks backwards v slightly. A somewhat alarming moment, but all part of the fun. Sorry: I should have headed this 'spoiler alert'.
 ebdon 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

I heard it was bolted by the BMC exec as part of a plan to turn Wasdale into an Olympic venue?
 PATTISON Bill 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:
25 Years ago as leader of Wasdale MRT I suggested that had The Needle and Broad Stand been in the Alps they would certainly have had Bolts or similar safety devices inserted. A former Chairman of MREW,wrongly informed a number of people that I intended to do so.This couldnt be further from the truth ,despite having attended many fatalities at both sites I still believe they should be left as they( I hope) are .As a lad of 17 I soloed The Needle in nailed boots some 66 years ago and as some one stated ,if you cant climb it and get down safely without recourse to bolts then dont do it or wait till you are good enough.
Post edited at 15:45
OP Trangia 17 Mar 2017

Agreed. And no, it's neither a sick joke, nor an April Fools joke.

I merely asked the question to confirm or otherwise a rumour I had heard. Unfortunately all I get are sick answers (with one or two exceptions) but it seems that, thankfully the rumour is untrue.
 Mark Kemball 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

According to "Rope Boy" (if I remember correctly) a young Denis Gray and friends plotted to blow up the needle (as a symbol of that elitist organisation, the FRCC) but then got too drunk to do the deed.
 JLS 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

>"Actually can't remember. But then again I did solo it so I wasn't looking."

If you'd tripped over it we might have had to re-christen you Air Bourne.
 the sheep 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> Agreed. And no, it's neither a sick joke, nor an April Fools joke.I merely asked the question to confirm or otherwise a rumour I had heard. Unfortunately all I get are sick answers (with one or two exceptions) but it seems that, thankfully the rumour is untrue.

Sick answers, somebody is feeling a tad sensitive today?
 Will Hunt 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:
When I was up there there someone had cemented in a ten inch rubber dildo. It wasn't fit to belay off as it was too bendy.
Unfortunately with the equipment I had I could only hack it down to a knob.
Post edited at 17:33
Removed User 17 Mar 2017
> (Assuming this is just a sick joke, but ...) i
Gordon, when you say 'sick' joke do you mean in the modern use of the word, I.e good or funny?

Post edited at 19:47
 Brass Nipples 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Can I clip my bag of dog shit to it for now? I'll collect it when I'm next up there.
 brianjcooper 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Cusco:
Sheer skill youth, that's how. Did it eons ago
Post edited at 20:36
 jon 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:
The bolt is actually the last visible remnant of a five foot high wrought iron cross erected by friends of Haskett Smith in 1891. It was removed by a group of four islamic extremists, resident at the time in the greater Manchester area, as a protest against religious symbols appearing in the Lakeland hills, on the 28th of June 1914. Sadly news of this event was somewhat buried by a far more momentous one that day...
Post edited at 20:44
In reply to Removed Userclaire14:
> Gordon, when you say 'sick' joke do you mean in the modern use of the word, I.e good or funny?

No, I meant it literally (i.e. the old sense). Assuming this was fake news, I found it both unfunny and disturbing ... because there probably really are nutters out there who might go and do such a thing.

I see that someone has already 'disliked' me for disliking the idea of a putting a bolt into the top of Napes Needle. Frankly, I think it's about on a par with drilling holes in the monoliths of Stonehenge. But perhaps they'd like to do that too?
Post edited at 22:25
 Duncan Bourne 18 Mar 2017
In reply to JLS:

He He by curious coincidence that used to be my old nick name
 Rob Exile Ward 18 Mar 2017

I think you may be suffering a sense of humour failure Gordon. Happens to all of us occasionally.
OP Trangia 18 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

I asked a simple question, but instead of a simple answer all that most people were prepared to reply was attempts at being funny without actually answering the question. I wasn't asking for moralising on the rights or wrongs of bolting here, I merely asked whether the rumour I had heard was true or false? Nice and simple, but beyond the ability of many respondents to cope with, so, yes, I was becoming a bit irritated, but I should have known better. This is UKC!
 Root1 18 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

A nice spiral staircase all the way up and around it might attract a few tourists. Plus a zip wire down into the Wastwater Hotel bar.
In reply to Root1:

> a zip wire down into the Wastwater Hotel bar.

Now we're talking.
Phizzers 20 Mar 2017
In reply to Trangia:

The best wind-up since someone filled the jugs on Little Cham with dog-turds!
 sammy5000 20 Mar 2017
In reply to Phizzers:

No shit man!
In reply to Trangia:
> I asked a simple question, but instead of a simple answer all that most people were prepared to reply was attempts at being funny .....

Erm......

I should have known better. This is UKC!

Yup!

Edit: FWIW I found most replies pretty (mildly) funny. Be a dull thread otherwise.
Post edited at 10:43
 Root1 21 Mar 2017

£10 a go and the money go's to the Lakeland bolt fund, to bolt every route in the district.
Post edited at 15:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...