UKC

Ski binding mounted in different position to centre mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi All,
Yesterday I had new bindings mounted onto my new skis at my local ski shop. I've since noticed that there is a 4mm difference between the positioning of the two bindings when measured from the centre mark.

I've since spoken to the technician who has said basically I won't notice but if I want, he will re fill the current holes and mount them again in the correct position. I'm not keen for this as I've always been very nervous of mountain different bindings onto skis that have already been drilled.

I'm annoyed that I've paid a fair amount of money (50 pounds) to get this job done and essentially they have messed it up. (I would expect this kind of mistake if I had have done it at home!)

Any thoughts as to whether I should pursue this or just leave it?
 PGD 17 Mar 2017
In reply to Francis Charlesworth:

Where does your boot centre mark line up?
 HeMa 17 Mar 2017

A few things to understand.

1) you won't notice the difference

2) he fvcked up and should compensate

3) multiple mounts on good skis are not a problem, provided you're not a fatso and everything is done properly

4) sometimes (quite often actually) ski center marks are not actually at the same spot (difference on a few mm are quite common, as the center mark is on the topsheet or sidewalls, but they do move in the skipress).

5) learn to do your own mounts, it really isn't rocker science.... and a fun thing to do with a sixer or proper artisan craft beer... 3 to eyeball the perfect mount location, 1 to do all the measurements, 1 after all the holes are drilled and the last one after the bindings have been mounted...
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks for the reply.

They have offered to move the front piece (the binding are Dynafit speed turns on Black Crow skis) back 2mm and the heel piece back 2mm. Is this a good solution?!
 summo 17 Mar 2017

I would just ask for 10-20% off the price.
 HeMa 17 Mar 2017

> Thanks for the reply.They have offered to move the front piece (the binding are Dynafit speed turns on Black Crow skis) back 2mm and the heel piece back 2mm. Is this a good solution?!

Nope, as when remounting you would want at least 5mm of pristine ski between the holes. Which translates to to 10mm difference between holes, preferably 15mm.

But as the first thing I said, you won't notice a thing when skiing... And only if your OCD/anal will you see the difference (whilst you have the skis on a rack, against the chaté wall)... every single time .

Too bad, Crows make lovely skis...

Mal Grey 17 Mar 2017
Nope, as the holes would surely overlap? Its been 20+ years since I drilled skis, and I don't think you'll notice the difference really on the slopes, but drilling too close or overlapping will compromise the strength of the connection between binding and ski. I'd go for some compensation, they should be sweating a bit on this one as they've clearly messed up, though not badly enough to force them to have to sort you new skis or anything. Perhaps go for free gear, this will be cheaper for them, so you might get better value.
Post edited at 20:24
 Wry Spudding 17 Mar 2017

Agree with what HeMa said - moving as they have suggested is similar to enlarging the hole and I wouldn't be confident that they wouldn't rip out. I would leave as is. Ski on them and see if you actually notice any difference (unlikely IMO); whether you pursue a refund etc. is up to you and your relationship with the shop but the suggestion of a slight movement, sharing the same initial hole implies the person who mounted the bindings isn't too competent/hasn't taken care in placing the jig or template. It isn't hard to do. I've done my own mounting on several pairs including fitting quiver killer inserts so that I can swap alpine and telemark bindings between different skis. It isn't hard to do, just needs a bit of care and attention to measurements.
In reply to HeMa:

> it really isn't rocker science....

Deliberate, or serendipitous...?
 Snowdave 17 Mar 2017

So both skis the bindings are in the same position as this is not clear? eg is one "out & the other not, or are both out?

When you say centre of binding is out with ski, what about the boot/ with the boot in the binding is the CL of the boot over the CL of the ski?

Are the bindings forward of the line or rearward of the line??

Moving a whole binding 2mm is a NO go........that's ALL holes close to rip out....its ok if swapping different bindings & a couple overlap, but not ALL

I used to mount bindings in a shop...that's why the questions, & a good skier can tell the difference ...& 6mm from centre....makes a huge difference on black runs...

If skis are "long" for you & the bindings are forward then its a win win...easier turn in...
 HeMa 18 Mar 2017
In reply to captain paranoia:

Autocorrect. But for once, spot on.
 DaveHK 18 Mar 2017
I feel your pain, this kind of crap happens far too often even at shops who supposedly know their stuff.

As others say, you probably won't notice but you pay a shop to do it on the understanding that they do it right.

Either a wedge of cash back or if you are so inclined and can be bothered screw them for new skis.

Edit: Am i right in thinking you didn't buy the skis from them? That maybe makes it a bit different. I know of one shop that wouldn't do mountings on skis bought from elsewhere which says a lot about either their margins or the ability of their techies!
Post edited at 09:16
In reply to DaveHK:

One binding front piece is 4mm higher than the one of the other ski. I have already got them set 1cm forward as that's how I prefer my binding mounted!
 Tricadam 18 Mar 2017
In reply to DaveHK:

It's infuriating when so-called professionals do a worse job than you could've done on your kitchen table. And on those occasions when it turns out they know a lot less than they'd like you to believe. Shame there's no regulatory body for ski techs! In the meantime, don't let anyone near your skis with a drill unless you know they're half decent!
paraffin 20 Mar 2017
Totally with He Ma on this.
4mm you will not notice. 2cm you might. Live with it.
I used to mount teles by some complicated formula to do with chord centre, boot length, ball of toe etc. That ended up with boot centre 35mm behind ski centre. Never liked it because it took a lot of concerted effort turning, gave for annoying tip diving skinning up and inevitably a destroyed knee.
Always go ski centre mark to boot centre (or as close as) for alpine downhill, alpine touring or telemark. Twin-tip Park skis will need even balance to successfully spin, so settings would be particular to rider and the ski.

Just noticed your post! "Binding mounting 4mm higher than the other"
Does that mean one binding is 4mm further forward than the other or 4mm higher off the surface?

I just mounted bindings to a pair of skis in the dark out the back of my van in the Queyras Valley. How some numbskull with a jig, correct drill bits and fully equipped workshop cannot do it, I can only wonder? It's not exactly Rocker Science now is it?
Post edited at 19:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...