UKC

Arizona bouldering guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SteveM 18 Mar 2017
Hi folks

I'm in Tempe over next weekend and the bouldering over by queen creek canyon and LDE looks like the place to be. What's a good guidebook and where can I pick one up? Or does someone have one I can borrow? (Based in Leeds)

Cheers
Steve M
 heleno 19 Mar 2017
In reply to SteveM:

There's quite a lot of info about the Oak Flat bouldering on Mountain Project (including location maps in the photo sections) https://www.mountainproject.com/v/oak-flats/106959022

There's no signal out there (or at least there wasn't 18 months ago) but you can download the app and area details to use offline.

It's worth checking the current access situation before you go as it's under threat from a massive mining corporation.
 Alan Rubin 20 Mar 2017
In reply to SteveM:

It is about an hour or more drive from Tempe out to Queen Creek/Oak Flats (same area), there is bouldering closer to Tempe--granite (Pinnacle Peak, Little Granite Mountain, others) and sandstone (Camelback--right in town)--check Mountain Project. I don't believe that there is a 'dedicated' Arizona bouldering guidebook.
OP SteveM 30 Mar 2017
In reply to SteveM:

Thanks for your help folks. Reporting back for anyone who searches for a similar answer in the future: yes there are guides, folded a3 sheets (Marty's foldout guides) for sale at 5USD each in REI. I spent a sunny day exploring queens creek canyon. QCC (Euro dog valley) was recommended by the staff in REI over closer venues in town. Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...