UKC

Jacks Rake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ipfreely 18 Mar 2017
For those that have not done Jacks Rake but are thinking about it, and would like to know what it's like.

youtube.com/watch?v=rddmPakmwWo&
 Glyno 18 Mar 2017
In reply to ipfreely:

very nice
OP ipfreely 18 Mar 2017
In reply to Glyno:

Thanks Glyno
 BusyLizzie 18 Mar 2017
In reply to ipfreely:

You had a lovely day for it. I can see it might be alarming in the wet but it looks great in those conditions.
 Dave the Rave 18 Mar 2017
In reply to ipfreely:

My 6 month pregnant girlfriend did that.
I cringe about taking her up there now.
In reply to ipfreely:
When he had finished did he go back for the rucksack he was wearing lower down.
womblingfree 18 Mar 2017
In reply to ipfreely:

Nice video, even the drone footage

Me and some friends are following the Trail / YHA Hostel to Hostel 4 day route in a few weeks and that scramble looks ideal for us. It's not an area I know at all, could it be built in to this: http://livemore.yha.org.uk/issue-2/lake-district-hostel-to-hostel-walks

Thanks
J1234 18 Mar 2017
In reply to womblingfree:

No, you go nowhere near.

For your Langdale - Borrowdale leg I think that this would actually be a very good direct route, via Stonethwaite. I haven't got the map in front of me, but don't understand what the previous poster means.
 James_Kendal 18 Mar 2017
If you did it first thing day 1 then you could continue on to Bow Fell to join the route. Basically Bow Fell is at the head of the valley, with Pike of Blisco and Crinkle Crags on the left side of the horseshoe, and the Langdale Pikes (including Pavey Ark where Jack's Rake is) on the right side. So you would just be doing the opposite leg of the same horseshoe. Or stay an extra day at Langdale YHA at the end.

If you do go to Bow Fell from Jack's Rake (which is on Pavey Ark) be aware that the path from Stake Pass to Angle Tarn is missing in large sections and the area is boggy. Follow the high ground near Rossett Pike to your left for best results.
Post edited at 23:13
OP ipfreely 19 Mar 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I left the sack at the top whilst setting up the final drone shot, it had the controller inside,
 Wainers44 19 Mar 2017

That would work. From the top of the Rake do the rest of the Pikes, then Martcrag Moor to Rossett. You can cut left to get to the Climbers Traverse on Bowfell...fill yer belly with water at the waterspout then head to the top.

Alternative is to go on to Esk Hause, well the cross shelter anyway, and then go over Allan Crags and Glaramara. Finish using the direct path into Stoneythwaite off Bessyboot. Really good and much quieter than Bowfell. Oh and you pass the bars of the Langstrath and the Scafell Hotel on the way to the YHA.....
womblingfree 19 Mar 2017
In reply to Wainers44:

Cheers all for your replies.

And Wainers, having had look at the map that looks a good route, and a slightly shorter day out than the original. I'm assuming if we did Bowfell via Climbers Traverse we could either then do Esk Hause and the rest of them or duck out and follow the low level path following Langstrath Beck (looks boggy though!)

J1234 19 Mar 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

You can do as you suggest. But the walk as described gives different vistas and going the other side of the valley avoids the Crinkles and the walk to Bowfelll is not as nice. But if in Langdale you could obviously work Jacks Rake in one way or another.
In reply to ipfreely:
Rucksack apart I do think you captured the feeling of the scramble with a good mix of camera angles.
 Doug 19 Mar 2017
In reply to ipfreely:

Started watching, thinking that it didn't look much like I remembered Scafell, then realised I was having a senior moment & had confused Jack & Lords rake !

Thanks for bringing back some memories, can't remember when I last climbed in Pavey but it was a while.
OP ipfreely 19 Mar 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

i got lucky with the weather, though i did stay up there the night before too.
In reply to Lenin:

> You can do as you suggest. But the walk as described gives different vistas and going the other side of the valley avoids the Crinkles and the walk to Bowfelll is not as nice. But if in Langdale you could obviously work Jacks Rake in one way or another.

Well I certainly agree about Bowfell (via the Band) - I don't think I'd ever describe that as 'nice' What you suggest of course makes an attractive route to Seathwaite (rather than Stonethwaite), but then you can't link Jack's Rake.
J1234 19 Mar 2017
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

The Band, sorry I do not follow. If at the top of Pavey the logical approach to Bowfell would be across Martcrag Moor which is less than pleasant.
If the OP wishes to incorporate Jacks Rake I would suggest the path from the Youth Hostel straight up the ridge towards Pavey, but rather than ascend Pavey , use the climbers descent direct to Jacks Rake then ascend Pavey , then head out to High Raise, then to Stakes down Langstrath up Cams Crag, top out Glarmara, then either head for YHA Borrowdale by going via Allen Crags and Grains Ghyll or go via Combe Ghyll. But this would be a totally different walk, but incorprating two good scrambles. Not sure of the distances, probably shorter.
OP ipfreely 19 Mar 2017

It looks like you could fit it in there, you may need to miss off pike o' blisco, but that depends on how many miles your happy to do,
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> I can see it might be alarming in the wet but it looks great in those conditions.

It's better in the wet, makes it more interesting though to be fair it's a good route in all conditions.

OP ipfreely 02 Apr 2017
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

I don't agree that it's better in the wet, i'd rather do it on a lovely day like i caught it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...