UKC

World Games 2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 La_Vie_En_Rose 18 Mar 2017
Haven't posted on UKC in years so hope you don't mind me gatecrashing!

I've started following the IFSC Bouldering World Cup on Youtube and I love it. I really wanted to go to one of the sessions this year but either the dates didn't suit or I can't afford to fly to the locations. The World Games in Wroclaw, Poland caught my eye as I fancy a trip to Eastern Europe and the dates aren't bad for me (21-23rd July).

Does anyone know if the World Games will be populated by big-name climbers/boulderers on the World Cup circuit (Shauna Coxsey, Jan Hojer, Petra Klinger, GG Mondet, Adam Ondra, etc etc etc), or will it consist of really awesome but less well-known climbers?

Thanks!
Emma
 alx 20 Mar 2017
In reply to La_Vie_En_Rose:

If the athletes are part of the IFSC circuit then odds are that they will be resting up between the official comps, not risking injury or fatigue for an event which doesn't support their overall score. Ondra I think is fixing his attention back on Norway this year.

Best contact the event organisers closer to the time to get an idea on the line up.
 jonathandavey 20 Mar 2017
In reply to La_Vie_En_Rose:

I found this list of those who went to the last world games in 2013: http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/images/World_competitions/World_Games/130731_Q...

Essentially a mixture of winners and runners up from the previous year's World Championships, and a whole load of world and continental senior/youth champions. I'm not sure how the qualifying selection will vary this time around as there will be a total of 72 climbers there (24 each for lead, speed and bouldering, I'm presuming a 50/50 male/female split).

No real info on any of the official World Games/IFSC websites, however wikipedia has a list of participating countries and how many athletes they are each sending to the games (for all sports). There's no source given for this at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Games_2017#Participating_nations
 alx 20 Mar 2017
In reply to jonathandavey:

Good find! Lead and speed only? No bouldering?
In reply to alx:

This year there is bouldering as well.
 alx 21 Mar 2017
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Ace

Does anyone know if GG got picked for the French squad? Nothing on Facebook, and couldn't find a working link to the men's finals replay from the French championship on the other day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...