UKC

Alpine skills courses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adj 20 Mar 2017
Hi all,

I'm looking to make my first true alpine trip this summer and weighing some options. I lead rock, happy with multi pitch mountain routes and got a few days with crampons and ice axe last year but I've never been on a glacier. Im hoping to get on a course to learn glacier skills and then hang around for a while and hopefully find some partners that are willing to pair up with an alpine rookie for some intro routes.

My options right now look like trying to get on a Conville course, UCPA as the next most affordable option or a different 3 day course with alpine guides or PYB. Does anyone have any experience of action-outdoors/UCPA courses? Or any other recommendations?

How easy is it for a rookie to find partners for some easy intro routes?
 Nbrain 20 Mar 2017
In reply to Adj:

I've done Conville course with PYB and it was great. We stayed in Arolla and met some nice guys who I climbed with before and after the course.

Also used UCPA in the winter for a ski trip. Nice enough place to stay and great value for money. There were loads of good guys again there to ski with.
 Mark Haward 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Adj:

The Conville course is a great way to meet partners and potentially climb with them after the course. Just remember, you will be novices together.
Many people also find partners through UKC, another option is a local climbing club. Usually easy to find partners in various alpine locations, the challenge is that as a novice it may be very hard to judge their competence.
Often people going on the courses get in touch before the course which may give you an opportunity to climb with them in the UK first.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...