UKC

Peak climbing this week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tim.rose2 20 Mar 2017
Hi,
After some advice for tomorrow / later in the week. Am on holiday in the peak district this week (staying in Bradwell). Looking to get some climbing in at some point. Only climb easy stuff (i.e. Diff, V. Diff & Severe) as I'm a soft southerner who just likes doing stuff outside. Had hoped to be basking in spring sunshine but instead get something more akin to March! So the question to you locals - would you bother with Stanage tomorrow / later in the week given its going to be chilly, a bit breezy and been raining for the last couple of days (I'm assuming the showers hold off)? Not climbed in the Peak before so don't know the area. Are there more sheltered alternatives with plenty of easy climbs? Please recommend! Or should we just head to one of the wall in Sheffield?
Thanks
Tim
 Michael Hood 20 Mar 2017
In reply to tim.rose2: Once the rain stops, then lots of Stanage dries out very quickly because it's exposed to the prevailing wind.

The downside of course is that it's exposed to the prevailing wind so take enough layers. Having said that, if the wind drops and the sun comes out, then t-shirt climbing is on at this time of year.

mrphilipoldham 20 Mar 2017
In reply to tim.rose2:

Rivelin has twice saved the day recently for me recently. Having driven past Stanage to see it getting rather wet, upon dropping down in to the valley I've gone on to spend the days pretty much exclusively in the sun watching the 'weather' roll by on the other side of the hill. A strange meteorological set up but wonderful to see, from warm, dry rock!
 cragtyke 20 Mar 2017
In reply to tim.rose2:

Wednesday looks a washout, but the wind is forecast to be northeasterly on thurs/fri so most crags may be sheltered below the top, Burbage North would be a good bet for easier grades. Friday looks to be the best day this week.
 deacondeacon 20 Mar 2017
In reply to tim.rose2:
Stanage was dry this evening, and according to the forecast there's only a slight chance of rain tomorrow. Defo worth risking
OP tim.rose2 20 Mar 2017
In reply to tim.rose2:

Hi All,
Thanks for the great replies. Will probably give Stanage a go tomorrow, if too windy we'll head to the Rivelin, failing that it'll be a wall in Sheffield. Likely to try out Burbage North later in the week should the weather be ok.
Cheers
Tim
OP tim.rose2 21 Mar 2017
In reply to tim.rose2:

Hi All,
Thanks again for great advice. After a breaky at the Pool cafe in Hathersage (highly recommended) we walked halfway up to Stanage this morning and decided it was way too cold in the brisk wind for a pair of soft southerners. Then headed over the Rivelin as suggested above and had a most excellent day. Did have a bit of a hail storm on the first climb which was a first for me but after that dry all day. Might try somewhere else Thursday or Friday.
Cheers
Tim
 mrphilipoldham 21 Mar 2017
In reply to tim.rose2:

Good innit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...