UKC

Avon Gorge - Upper Wall closed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 KRB 21 Mar 2017
Had a chat this afternoon with a Rope Access Engineer encamped in the car park at Sea Walls. Turns out Bristol City Council are upgrading the catchment fencing running up the edge of the ramp above Unknown Buttress. This 4-week project will result in the ramp being blocked off presumably preventing access to the whole of Upper Wall and will also restrict climbing on Unknown Buttress as most of the routes belay on the fence. It was anticipated that the barrier preventing access will be in place from tonight.
 cwarby 21 Mar 2017
In reply to KRB:
Thanks for this. Does this mean the ramp is being fenced permanently off or just for works?
Chris
Post edited at 16:09
OP KRB 21 Mar 2017
In reply to cwarby:

I assume access will be restricted only whilst the fence is being replaced/upgraded. Once completed, normal and full access to the climbs finishing or starting on the ramp will resume - though there will probably be a notice on the refurbished fence advising that it is unsuitable for the attachment of climbing gear!
 cwarby 21 Mar 2017
In reply to KRB:

Thanks for that. I've still got a couple of routes on the hit list
Chris
 Annabel Tall 24 Mar 2017
In reply to KRB:

I've just been down to Sea Walls and the contractors have pretty much taken over the car park with vehicles and a temporary building. If you are planning to climb there parking is going to be an issue. If there's no parking under sea walls you can park on the road on the Downs at the top and walk down the gully between sea walls and new quarry. There's a BMC south west meeting on Saturday which I will probably be going to so I'll ask someone to put an update.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...