UKC

Tent recommendations - Terra Nova Voyager?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
PineMarten 21 Mar 2017
Hi,

I'm after a 2 person, 3 season (or possibly 4 season) tent and looking for recommendations. The tent should be reasonably sturdy (e.g. the poles won't bend or snap in a windy night), waterproof and weigh less than 2kg. I plan to mostly use it from spring to autumn but might occasionally use it in the winter, too (but not in hardcore conditions). My budget is £400.

I'm considering the Terra Nova Voyager which seems to tick all the boxes and has decent reviews. It's slightly on the heavy side with 2kg but a comparable 3 season tent I've been considering (MSR Hubba Hubba NX) really needs a footprint according to reviews, so with a footprint the weight difference is only 200g and the Voyager seems more sturdy and waterproof. Would anybody who has the Terra Nova Voyager care to comment?

Also if anyone has any other suggestions for a good tent that'd be great!

Thank you.
In reply to Irena_12:

Ive had mine a few years. No issues. I always sponge it down too after use. a great tent

TheGeneralist 21 Mar 2017
In reply to Irena_12:
> e.g. the poles won't bend or snap in a windy night

I suggest you search for WC/TN poles on the forum.

eg https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=659393
Post edited at 16:55
rackandruin 21 Mar 2017
In reply to Irena_12:
There have been many complaints on here over many years about the reliability of Terra Nova / Wild Country poles and poor customer service.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=659393&v=1#x8510200

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=644015&v=1#x8355544
The regularity of these reports certainly put me off buying Terra Nova
Post edited at 17:04
 phizz4 21 Mar 2017
In reply to Irena_12:

I had one of the original Voyagers, with the neoprene groundsheet. It was heavy (by today's standards) but bomb proof. It's still going after over 20 years. I wanted a lighter weight, less bulky, tent for kayak camping so bought, unseen, the new voyager. Plus points are that it is lighter in weight and less bulky. Minus points. The back panel of the inner is mesh, for ventilation. In anything but warm weather it produces a very cold draught. I have sewn a velco-attached panel into the inner to cover it. The inner tent sags towards the front, and no amount of fiddling with the pitching seems to solve this. The inner of the old design was always taut. Thirdly, and I consider, most importantly, the shape of the back of the flysheet has changed. The old model was quite tapered and very wind-cheating. The new shape is more square, like the back of a Trisar tent. This makes the tent far less stable in windy weather. Combine that with the use of thinner/lighter materials and the tent does move around quite a bit. I accept that lighter materials are often going to be a compromise, but I think that this is now more of a 2/3 season tent. I have, so far, had no issues with the poles but I am very careful to ensure that they are assembled fully.
In reply to Irena_12:

Hello,

A Lightwave G20 Ultra, or the slightly smaller G15 Ultra would be worth considering.

They're based on the same classic Semi geodesic design of the TN Voyager of TNF Tadpole.

http://www.lightwave.uk.com/product/shop/tent/g20-ultra

http://www.lightwave.uk.com/product/shop/tent/g15-ultra

Full disclaimer: I work for Lightwave, but I wouldn't recommend anything I wouldn't use myself.

Also, we very rarely have problems with broken poles, or broken anythings, and when we do we try to resolve things as quickly as possible.

Tom
In reply to phizz4:
> had no issues with the poles but I am very careful to ensure that they are assembled fully.

Whoa tiger. Two separate statements, may indeed be true but please don't try to imply some causality between them (or indeed the negative of each).

Ensuring that the poles are correctly inserted is the standard pisch that WC state when they get breakages. It's their standard get out clause after the first warranty pole replacement. It doesn't seem to occur to them that perhaps people who have already spent hundreds of pounds replacing their spaghetti poles might just perhaps take a huge amount of care in ensuring that the poles are fully engaged as a matter of course.

phizz4 21 Mar 2017
In reply to Irena_12:

If you are not careful to ensure that the poles are fully assembled then they are more likely to fail. Fact. The absence of one action can lead to the effect that is trying to be avoided. I have used (through the D of E scheme) other TN and WC tents and the only ones that have failed have been due to rough handling or incomplete insertion by other users. I was simply stating my approach. I would suggest that it is impossible to determine whether a failed pole joint is due to misuse or material failure without an investigation by a metallurgist. I don't doubt any of the issues that people have had with breaking poles from TN/WC but, in my case, it hasn't happened (yet).
In reply to Phizz:
> If you are not careful to ensure that the poles are fully assembled then they are more likely to fail. Fact. The absence of one action can lead to the effect that is trying to be avoided.

I totally agree with your statement above.

However I don't agree with the implication, and WC's assertion that pole failure can necessarily be attributed to incomplete insertion. (not sure what the figure of speech I'm looking for is here... converse... or reverse causality)

anyway my Missus' Macpac poles seem to have lasted very well.
Likewise people don't seem to have much bad to say about Hilleberg (may of course be because not many UK people own them, unlike the semi ubiquitous Quasar)
Post edited at 18:25
 Dave the Rave 21 Mar 2017
In reply to Irena_12:

Terra Nova Solar 2 unused for £270 on eBay.
Mines 17 years old and still going.
There's a Voyager 2, 2008 made in Derbyshire on there too currently at £100.

None are my sales.
PineMarten 21 Mar 2017
In reply to Irena_12:

Thanks for your input guys! I still don't know what tent to get but it won't be the Terra Nova Voyager - the regularity of reported problems with their poles has indeed put me off Terra Nova.
In reply to Irena_12:

Don't let it put you off, I've had a few T/N Quasars and never broke a pole! I still use a Superlite Voyager and it's been great (However I'm well aware of the pole issues so I try and handle the poles Carefully!) the Voyager is a good tent, New Southern Cross is also a good Tent. I also own the Msr Hubbahubba Nx which is a cracking tent for under 2kg or 2kg all in with footprint, brilliant Msr Customer service great 3 Season Tent probably a little Draughty for some especially for Winter use or grab the Hp model which I've used a lot in winter conditions,but not the best choice in heavy winds
 angry pirate 21 Mar 2017
In reply to Irena_12:

I had a Voyager for 20 years which, bar a leaky groundsheet, survived some utterly awful weather including Scottish winter blizzard conditions.
It now leaks as the seams and fabric have finally worn out but still makes a perfectly serviceable play tent for my kids.
I was always thoroughly impressed by it and saddened when it finally died.
I have since bought an Alpkit Ordos 2 which is super light so i doubt will last as long. However I have huge faith in their aftersales service having experienced it on a couple of things in the past. Made handing over big cash for a new tent much more reassuring!
 Dave the Rave 21 Mar 2017
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

I echo what you said. I've still got a 1992 Quasar with no broken poles. My 1999 Solar 2 has had one replaced because some fat bastard fell on it at the Red Squirrel site.
This pole was replaced for £30 from a tinternet site.
 Wainers44 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Irena_12:

Just replaced my Wildcountry Duolite tent for the TN Voyager. The Duolite completed around 60 winter wild camp nights over 8 years. No broken poles, never once leaked, still in excellent nick now and is not retired it's just now first reserve. £85 for all that wasn't bad value for money!

The Voyager has only had 5 outings so far this winter. Weather has been mixed to say the least. I am very impressed so far. Quality is good. Mesh panel at the end of the inner isn't an issue and I can't say that I have noticed any draught. I like the space and headroom which is better than the Duolite. The pitch inner first worries me a bit, however I have put it up in a storm and to be fair the inner wasn't that wet and dried within an hour or so.

So far so good, I would recommend the Voyager. I didn't take any notice of the reported issues with the poles. We run a fleet of about 8 Vaude Terraquattro tents and the youngsters manage to snap an average of 1 pole set per season. They always assure me that it was the poles fault not theirs but I certainly don't blame Vaude!!!
 DaveHK 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> Hello,A Lightwave G20 Ultra, Full disclaimer: I work for Lightwave, but I wouldn't recommend anything I wouldn't use myself. Also, we very rarely have problems with broken poles, or broken anythings, and when we do we try to resolve things as quickly as possible. Tom

I had a G20 Trek and it was without a shadow of a doubt the worst tent I've ever used and a bit of digging on line found several similar complaints.

Can't speak for the customer service as the shop refunded me with no quibbles and Lightwave never responded to any of my emails or the letter I sent back with the tent!

Just sayin'
Post edited at 07:28
In reply to Irena_12:

To echo what some others have said, I've got a Terrace Nova Quasar Ultra and the poles seem bomb proof. I'm always careful when assembling the poles to insure they are fully inserted as I could imagine stress being applied to one point if they were not assembled correctly. I wouldn't let the poles put you off buying TN, although obviously it's something to consider if some people have experience had problems. You'll definitely get a quality tent with TN that is for sure!

I've seen a few Quasars going recently again on Outdoor Gear Exchange, the Facebook page. If you keep an eye on there you could snap one up at a bargain.
 DaveHK 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

> it's something to consider if some people have experience had problems. You'll definitely get a quality tent with TN that is for sure!

If there are known problems then it's not definite you'll get a quality tent is it?

> If you keep an eye on there you could snap one up at a bargain.

No pun intended?
In reply to DaveHK:

> I had a G20 Trek and it was without a shadow of a doubt the worst tent I've ever used and a bit of digging on line found several similar complaints.Can't speak for the customer service as the shop refunded me with no quibbles and Lightwave never responded to any of my emails or the letter I sent back with the tent!

Sorry to hear this and sorry for the lack of response. Can you drop me a PM with a few more details please.

Tom
 ben b 22 Mar 2017
 DaveHK 22 Mar 2017

It's really water under the bridge now Tom but I will drop you a line when I get a chance.
In reply to DaveHK:

> If there are known problems then it's not definite you'll get a quality tent is it?No pun intended?

I highlighted a point that it seems some people have had and I've never had a problem with them. Actually I'd go as far as I rate them, they are so lightweight and sleek. The rest of the tent is also of the highest quality.

Poles break. It's something that happens with all tents. Whether or not TN have problems more than others I don't know. I'm just basing my recommendation on my experience as I know what force I expected subject my poles to.
 ClayClay 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Irena_12:

The Macpac Minaret is a cracking investment. It is really built to last and not particularly heavy. I've started using it more and more, now a go to tent rather than my 1kg type thing. Worth the extra weight (just over 2 kg).
 ScraggyGoat 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Irena_12:
Having owned an older Voyager and the 'newer' voyager I can concur with other respondents that the old tent had 3/4 season capability and was robust but heavier, the new version is more suited to 2/3 seasons and is lighter but less robust.

Its still a good tent (rather than a great tent), and I haven't broken any poles on it, but the poles did bend / deform quickly in what I would class as moderate winds.
Post edited at 14:09
 DaveHK 02 Apr 2017
> Sorry to hear this and sorry for the lack of response. Can you drop me a PM with a few more details please.Tom

History repeats itself, sent you an email about 10 days ago and no reply.

Is the email in your profile up to date?
Post edited at 17:36
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi Dave,

I think it might have ended up in my junk email.

Please can you send it to my work email: tomripleyoutdoor@gmail.com

Sorry about this...

Tom
 DaveHK 02 Apr 2017
No problem.
Post edited at 19:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...