UKC

Tower Ridge 35m Rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jaamez 21 Mar 2017
Has anyone used a 35m rope on TR? There is a thread recommending 40m minimum but it's either a 35m single or 60m halves for us.
 Lucy Wallace 21 Mar 2017
In reply to jaamez:
It does leave you with minimal retreat options.
Edit: have used a 40 in summer.
Post edited at 22:32
 Scott Kirkhope 21 Mar 2017
In reply to jaamez:

You could get away with a 35m rope but it really depends on your abilities and confidence levels. If you are planning on pitching large sections of the ridge then a 35m rope may leave you coming up short on some of the easier sections or will see you wasting a huge amount of time with too many change overs. If you are thinking your tactic is to solo most of the easier sections and to use the rope for the awkward steps then a 35m will just about do it. In my opinion anyway.
In reply to jaamez:
I've used a 30m rope in Summer which was absolutely fine.

However, I assume given the time of year you are thinking about Winter conditions. If it was me I'd probably take the 35m single over a 60m half but I wouldn't be too concerned either way.

However, I've done the ridge at least half a dozen times in Winter. If you haven't done it before, a longer rope does give you more flexibility.
Post edited at 00:28
 Michael Gordon 22 Mar 2017
In reply to jaamez:

If you're talking winter I'd take a 60m half. Summer maybe the single.
 Jamie B 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Depends on the half-rope really - the potential of the skinny ones and edge loading worries me. But I think the OP is considering using 2? This would be clunky at best but a 35m single is, as stated above, a bit minimal. I use a 50 as longer pitches are useful in places.
OP jaamez 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Jamie B:

Thank you everyone for the responses. We are hoping to do it in winter condition.
I think given the advise we will take a singe 8.6mm 60m half and double it if we're worried about falling/sharps.
Perhaps we will be in the market for a 50m single for the future!
 NathanP 22 Mar 2017
In reply to jaamez:

I did it a few years ago on an Alan Kimber winter course: Alan had a 37m rope and there was a lot of comment that he'd done it so many times that he knew 35m was too short and 40m was excessively heavy. The instructor I was with had a rather longer rope and I don't remember it being a great burden.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...