UKC

What if Climbing was instinctive and not learned ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lone 22 Mar 2017

I was listening to BBC Radio 2 this morning and they said that Sea Otters use stones as tools from as young as pups, which means the use of the stones as tools is instinctive, unlike humans who had to learn how to use tools.

So I thought, if climbing was instinctive to humans, and I mean like climbing a HVS, how would that change rock climbing, as we know it today?

L
Post edited at 13:57
In reply to lone:
> I was listening to BBC Radio 2 this morning and they said that Sea Otters use stones as tools from as young as pups, which means the use of the stones as tools is instinctive, unlike humans who had to learn how to use tools.So I thought, if climbing was instinctive to humans, and I mean like climbing a HVS, how would that change rock climbing, as we know it today?L

Climbing is instinctive , learning something is just the honing of skills in regard to this instinct.
I would argue that using tools is also instinctive as its in our potential to do this .

Seems a strange around the house question.
It's a bit like the nature/nurture question in my opinion.

TWS
Post edited at 14:11
 Andy Long 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Climbing is instinctive , learning something is just the honing of skills in regard to this instinct.

I agree. In this respect it differs from, say, skiing, which involves learning some counter-intuitive movements just to get going. I'm told golf is the same, though I can't comment personally. Doubtless there are others.
 DerwentDiluted 22 Mar 2017
In reply to lone:

Of course climbing is instinctive, it is deeply engrained from our monkey past.

Thats why I'm so crap at it, no prehensile tail.....
 ModerateMatt 22 Mar 2017
In reply to lone:

>unlike humans who had to learn how to use tools.

I think you used a bad example. Using tools is our niche as humans, no other species on earth use them to the extent we do. Tools are what set us apart from all other living creatures we know. The complexity of our tools has obviously increased, which means they are not always naturally intuitive . As a species the use of tools is ingrained in everything we do and I don't think that is a coincidence.
 Tony Jones 22 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Long:

> I'm told golf is the same, though I can't comment personally.

Not knowing can only be a good thing...

stp 22 Mar 2017
In reply to lone:

It's interesting to think about how ingrained climbing is. I imagine it's far more ingrained in some people than others. Adam Ondra said he felt climbing was in his genetic code. I've heard a genetic basis for some sports has been found. BASE jumpers typically have 11 copies of on particular gene apparently. So it seems feasible to think there might be something similar for climbers, maybe something from our tree dwelling ape past perhaps.
 aln 22 Mar 2017
In reply to stp:

> BASE jumpers typically have 11 copies of on particular gene apparently.

Are you sure about that?

mrteale 22 Mar 2017
In reply to lone:

> if climbing was instinctive to humans, and I mean like climbing a HVS,

Given the young chap's age, I'd say this looks about HVS: youtube.com/watch?v=DZt4n3lh8lQ&
 stp 22 Mar 2017
In reply to aln:
It was asserted by one guy in the documentary The Search for Freedom. He sounded very sure and it seems like a very specific finding but beyond that I don't know.
Post edited at 22:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...