UKC

Chamonix accommodation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ROSP 23 Mar 2017
Hi all,

Where is the best place to stay in Chamonix for a summer alpine trip? Do people usually camp or stay in hostels or apartments? Also, what do people do with their kit when they go up into the mountains and are staying in huts? I don't want to pay for accommodation that I'm not actually going to use that night!

Cheers,

Ross
 edunn 23 Mar 2017
In reply to ROSP:

Argentiere campsite without a doubt. The couple who run it are lovely and arrangements about kit, leaving cars etc are pretty flexible. Shuttle buses into town are free and hitchhiking (if you happen to stay in the pub too long) is common.

There's free parking available in Cham if you get there early enough before heading into the hills, so leaving your car there for a few days is fine.

Enjoy
 tehmarks 24 Mar 2017
In reply to ROSP:

I agree, the campsite in Argentiere is fantastic. I stayed there a couple of weeks in early June last year. Didn't do much climbing thanks to 14 days or almost constant rain, but there definitely could have been worse places to spend time. A few of us were cooking under a covered communal area one night, and somehow after du vin we got onto dry tooling along the wooden support beam for the tarp 'roof'. A few minutes later the campsite man wandered over: 'don't do that...try the other beam, it's much more solid!'.

A very friendly place to spend some time.
 edunn 24 Mar 2017
In reply to tehmarks:

Aye, I was there that night! Think my brother's got the picture somewhere. I'll dig it out.

You're not the guy whose wallet we accidentally drove back to the UK the next day are you?
 tehmarks 24 Mar 2017
In reply to edunn:

I'm not, thankfully. Or at least not that I've been aware of!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...