UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID - Climbing The Fish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Mar 2017
Fri Night Vid - The Fish, 4 kbOur Friday Night Video this week is of Federica Mingolla attempting the first female ascent of 'The Fish' on the Marmolada in the Dolomites. The Fish was first climbed in 1981 and is renowned for it's sustained hard climbing. It received more attention in 2007 when Hansjorg Auer soloed the route in just...Read more
 john arran 24 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I presume this is the video that was linked to on here a couple of weeks or so ago, in which case it's a pretty good watch. But I'm curious as to how it can be described as "the first ascent of 'The Fish'"?
 dan gibson 24 Mar 2017
In reply to john arran:

Was thinking the same. Maybe the first female free ascent?
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 24 Mar 2017
In reply to john arran:

Yes it was an attempt for the first female free ascent. Unfortunately she slipped on the pitch just before the Fish niche. Fantastic effort though! You can see in the video she's exceptionally confident on some very run-out terrain.
 Alex McCalman 24 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

In the clubs I've been in, we've normally separated the Type 3 fun listed here into two categories: type 3 - not fun, but makes a good story in the pub; and type 4 - so very not fun you don't even tell people in the pub about it.
 cankerblossom 24 Mar 2017
In reply to James Rushforth:

Even if she fell then redid the pitch it counts - so this was the first female free ascent. Really nice film too.
 Mick Ward 24 Mar 2017
In reply to cankerblossom:

Agree - some very gutsy climbing.

Mick
 Lil_Pete 27 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

So then Rob, when's round 2?
 tebs 27 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great film and even better intro for Rob. Very much how I felt on a much easier route on the face! A good lesson on why a rope gun is an essential piece of kit...
 jwi 27 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Luisa Iovane? I have a vague recollection that she did it in free as well, in the early 90s. That might just be my memory playing tricks with me, however Iovane was for sure a part of the team that did the first repeat (using some aid-points) in the mid 80s.
 kingjam 28 Mar 2017
In reply to UKC News:

very nice video
 orcnys 28 Mar 2017
In reply to tebs:

Agree, great intro!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...