UKC

Funeral Five

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
It pays to be prepared and amidst lots of TV adverts about paying for the final countdown I think I should address the really important question about what music to play.
At the risk of introducing a sombre note to the site I would like to offer you my Funeral Five. These are 5 tunes to be played at my funeral - culled from a list of about 50 tunes to which I would subject my mourners if allowed.
They celebrate the life of the deceased and should provide enjoyment and inspiration to those who survive me.
In order of the non-religious service that I would request:
1. Who knows where the time goes by Fairport Convention.
2. Uncle John's Band by the Grateful Dead.
3. 2 Kool to be forgotten by Lucinda Williams.
4. Flamenco Sketches by Miles Davis.
5. Had me a real good time by The Faces.
So what is your Funeral Five?
 Shani 24 Mar 2017
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Not sure about 1-4, but 5 would be "Living in a Box".
 Greasy Prusiks 24 Mar 2017

Going Underground, The Jam
abseil 24 Mar 2017

1. The Laughing Policeman
2. Eat It
3. Surfin' Bird
4. My Boy Lollipop
5. Start Wearing Purple
 Chris Harris 24 Mar 2017

I'm being cremated, so I'm having:

Fire - Crazy world of Arthur Brown

Burn baby burn - Ash

Smoke gets in your eyes - The Platters

Light my fire - The Doors

Etc
 bouldery bits 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

And Fire Starter - the Prodigy.
 bouldery bits 24 Mar 2017

Can I have any 5 Spiral Tribe tracks?

Thanks.
 Trangia 24 Mar 2017

5 is too many - everyone will be yawning by the end so I've just chosen two:-

1 "Who knows where the time goes?" Sandy Denny (Fairport Convention)

2 "Dives and Lazurus" Vaughn Williams
 Big Ger 24 Mar 2017
True story, my dear mother passed on last October.

Her funeral service was far less painful than expected, fortunately. My sister and I had chosen “Morning has broken” and “Abide with me” for the hymns, and, as this was a Welsh funeral, the singing was outstanding.

However, as the curtains were drawn, and the coffin went to the flames, mam’s choice of music was played;

youtube.com/watch?v=-_f5NbPOOGE&
Post edited at 22:46
 Tony Jones 24 Mar 2017

Keith, based on that list, I'll be breaking into your house and stealing your record collection after you buy the farm.
 Big Ger 24 Mar 2017

as for my five;

1. Sandy Denny doing "who knows" solo.
2. Tractus by Orlande de Lassus - Missa pro defunctis,
3. River Man by Nick Drake.
4. Song to the Sybil by Dead Can Dance.
5. Intro and Outro, by the Bonzos
 Mick Ward 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> However, as the curtains were drawn, and the coffin went to the flames, mam’s choice of music was played; youtube.com/watch?v=-_f5NbPOOGE&

Your mum was a classy lady.

Mick
 Big Ger 24 Mar 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thanks Mick mate, she was, and she had a wicked sense of humour.
 aln 24 Mar 2017

Do you realise they'll probably ditch all that once you're gone? They'll be playing Kool and the Gang....
 Welsh Kate 24 Mar 2017

I went to a humanist funeral of a retired colleague a few years ago. The family played the theme from Test Match Special as we left the crematorium as Peter had been a cricket fan. It's such an up-beat tune that everyone went out smiling
 Tom Valentine 25 Mar 2017

As a sometime climber and Fairport fan I might prefer Meet on the Ledge.
 Rob Exile Ward 25 Mar 2017
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Farewell, Farewell is so obviously the correct FC track - what's wrong with you all?!
I've also thought that Nina Simone Ain't Got No, I got Life would be suitably ironic.
Removed User 25 Mar 2017

Meet on the ledge; Fairport Convention
Idiot Wind; Bob Dylan
Tupelo Honey; Van Morrison
Wish you where here; Pink Floyd
The last time I saw Richard; Joni Mitchell
 Timmd 25 Mar 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Thanks Mick mate, she was, and she had a wicked sense of humour.

That's definitely a funny song to have played as the last piece.
 BnB 26 Mar 2017

I'd like to have the whole final movement of Mahler's 2nd symphony. Not only is it the most beautiful piece of music ever written but it's even on message.

However, I'll play along with:

There is a light and it never goes out -the Smiths (for my wife)
Temptation - New Order (for my son)
Heroes - David Bowie (for my daughter)
Your Silent Face - New Order (for the procession)
Where Love Lives - Alison Limerick (for the afterparty, I mean, wake. There will be dancing.)
 Fraser 26 Mar 2017

Patricia Janeckova performing Ennio Morricone's theme from Once Upon A Time In The West. Her voice is stunning and perfectly suited to such a majestic, captivating song.

Played five times, to keep to the spirit of the OP.

If you've not heard it, here's one of her renditions. Close your eyes and enjoy:
youtube.com/watch?v=kOy6M_X2MO8&
In reply to Fraser:
Mmmmmm - quite a performance but I am not sure if my other half would be happy if that array of young women turned up at my funeral.
 Mick Ward 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Fraser:

My God, I could never have believed that such brilliance could exist. Thank you so much for showing us it.

I must have listened to other renditions many hundreds of times. Always I think of dirty, tired men, weary of bloodshed and one ineffably beautiful woman with a highly dubious past. Somehow a kind of wisdom seeping in, a sense that what we do matters, in some strange way, for now and forever, that life is all of us and more, so very much more.

I believe that a rendition of this was played at Sergio Leone's funeral.

Mick
 Big Ger 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> That's definitely a funny song to have played as the last piece.

I was aware she'd chosen it, the rest of the people at the cremation were not. It caused quite some laughter, and giggling.
 Jon Stewart 27 Mar 2017
Great thread.

1. Chameleon, Herbie Hancock. I just think this would sound hilarious at a funeral, and it's a brilliant bit of music that I love.

youtube.com/watch?v=ejaumVVHAUQ&

2. Don't Die Just Yet (remix), David Holmes. The title of this is just a coincidence. For some reason, this tune resonates with me, it just pins down how I feel, what it's like being inside my head.

youtube.com/watch?v=VMIWfydL66k&

3. I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free (live at Montreux, 1976), Nina Simone. This says pretty much everything worth saying, it's unbelievable, and strikes directly into the heart. If you don't feel this, you're probably dead (which would be ironic).

youtube.com/watch?v=-sEP0-8VAow&

4. I Hadn't Known, Herbert. You kind of had to be there, but if you were, it was always f*cking great.

youtube.com/watch?v=qMdfmOkK25c&

5. Go To Hell, Nina Simone. A funeral classic! Especially if anyone comes out with any kind of religious crap, this'll tell'em where it's at. See ya later guys!

youtube.com/watch?v=BMq2Bxoq2Xg&
Post edited at 00:50
 Siward 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I've always had a leaning towards 'So what' by the Anti Nowhere League as a funeral song , but maybe that's just me...
 Hat Dude 27 Mar 2017

I inclined to go for the first movement of Elgar's Cello Concerto, even if nobody at the funeral really cares about me , I'll make you weep you bas**rds!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=OH0jUQTCCQI&

actually I'll only go for 4

Missa Luba - "Sanctus"; not because I'm devout but "If" is my favourite film and it's a beautiful piece
Small Faces - "Tin Soldier"
"Ballet égyptien" - Alexandre Luigini, what's not to love about a sand dance! youtube.com/watch?v=bq7DGvfnr3U&

Then the curtains come round and they can consign me to the flames to "Time is Tight" by Booker T and the MGs
a lovely funereal organ intro then Duck Dunns amazing bass line ushers the upbeat section.
 Jon Stewart 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Siward:

> I've always had a leaning towards 'So what' by the Anti Nowhere League as a funeral song , but maybe that's just me...

The Queen Is Dead could be quite amusing...
 Big Ger 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Siward:

> I've always had a leaning towards 'So what' by the Anti Nowhere League as a funeral song , but maybe that's just me...

I'd choose;

youtube.com/watch?v=h9EWu2wiSco&

Rather apt I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...