UKC

Long Days - Big Hole 1,000 metre Challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sl@te Head 25 Mar 2017
Twll Mawr

Now that the days are getting longer (with the clocks turning tonight), anyone keen to complete the following challenge....

1,000 metre's of sport climbing (39 pitches from 6a+ to 7b+) in a day?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=1632
 bouldery bits 25 Mar 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I'd be happy with that sport tick list in a year!

Best of luck to anyone who takes it on.
 MischaHY 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I went to have a look at it last Autumn with a friend but got thoroughly shut down by many wet pitches.

The main issue is that time wise you need to link/simul some pitches but this was a very sketchy prospect, especially on some of the newly established routes with snappy holds.

I'd still like to do it at some point, it'd be a hell of a day out.
 Luke90 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:

That's surely in the realm of sponsored superstars rather than ordinary mortals, no?

(Not any of the individual routes but the combination at speed and the need for the time to dedicate to learning the routes and then catch good conditions.)
OP Sl@te Head 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Luke90:

Not sure that superstar sponsored climbers would be tempted, 6a+ to 7b+ is mid to low grade on the grand scale of things....
 Luke90 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Sl@te Head:
For sure, but these kind of big-ticklist-in-a-day challenges tend to require a lot of grades in hand. Like the "Wideboyz" on their Staffordshire Nose speed challenges. What's the hardest grade on that? Not groundbreaking by today's standards, I'd wager.

Edit: I checked. A single E4. Mostly HVS and E1.
Post edited at 17:46
 ashtond6 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Luke90:

Yeah but most of them ain't correctly graded.
The E4 is probably E5
At least 2 of the E1s are E2
& one of the HVS's is E3!
 andi turner 27 Mar 2017
In reply to ashtond6:

Really!
 Luke90 27 Mar 2017
In reply to andi turner:

Congratulations, you're evidently tougher than you realised!
 andi turner 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Luke90:

Indeed

The only one I'd question the grade of is Crack of Gloom, which, when the correct finish is adhered to, could easily get away with being E4, at least in comparison to similar graded routes elsewhere. It's always felt like the crux route of the challenge to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...