UKC

Setting up as a 1:1 home Yoga instructor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello.

I am thinking of setting up ad a home Yoga instructor ie. I will be teaching Yoga on a 1:1 basis at people's homes.

Do I need a qualification to do this? Do I need to register with any bodies/organisations?

Any advice will be taken into great consideration.

Sav
 Big Ger 25 Mar 2017
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

How much training in yoga do you have Sav?
In reply to Big Ger:

Hi BG.

I started Yoga when I started climbing at Craggy 2 many years ago. I'm still learning more and more asanas from YouTube.

Sav
 Dave the Rave 25 Mar 2017

You need to be smarter than the average bear!
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Very funny.
 Big Ger 25 Mar 2017

> Hi BG.I started Yoga when I started climbing at Craggy 2 many years ago.

When you say you started yoga, was that under an instructor, or self taught?
In reply to Big Ger:

It was under an instructor in a class environment.
 Big Ger 25 Mar 2017

> It was under an instructor in a class environment.

OK, are you still in touch with the instructor? If so, ask their advice as they will be able to guide you.

See also:

http://www.bwy.org.uk/
In reply to Big Ger:

No. Unfortunately I have not kept on contact with her but I knuw her name and I think I can find her contact details.

I have actually looked at the British Wheel of Yoga website.

Thanks

Sav
 Big Ger 25 Mar 2017

Thinking about it Sav, there may be a market for you in 1:1 teaching with people who have a similar disability to you, if you have the skills and knowledge to impart to them.
In reply to Big Ger:

Well....
There is a market for Yoga teachers in my area as the local council has stopped Yoga classes in the Adult Education Centres.
 Gone 26 Mar 2017

I would suggest you do a training course first. Not only would it be more marketable to clients, learning about anatomy would help if you have a client with an injury, to work out which moves would help them and which would make them worse. Same for if a client wanted to work a particular muscle group. Instructor courses will also train you to give instructions in a way that is clear and not confusing, deal with problem clients, and so on. First aid qualification might be important too.

http://www.ymcafit.org.uk/courses/diploma-in-teaching-yoga
In reply to Gone:

Yes great idea....

I was looking at courses with the British Wheel of Yoga but Mick Ward suggested that I test the market first....

I know about anatomy as I am a biologist. I have actually got two First Aid certificates when I did the Prince's Trust Volunteers Programme as a volunteer then as a help. But I wouldn't mind doing one with the Plas Y Brenin.

Sav

Lurking Dave 27 Mar 2017

Yes, you need a qualification, current first aid and appropriate insurance.

To market yourself you would need a bio that states why people would invite you into their homes... saying that you have been to yoga for a few years isn't going to cut it.

LD
 Toerag 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Lurking Dave:

....add to that a police check too.
How much do you think you'll charge (out of interest)?
 JayPee630 27 Mar 2017

DBS check, qualification/s, insurance, first aid, and probably as importantly lots of good marketing/social media and personality, and a very good knowledge of yoga/personal interaction skills/general winning marketable sell-yourself oomph.
 alx 27 Mar 2017

Mick and Big Ger have hit the nail on the head, find your customers, find out what they want then invest in yourself to get them what they want. I have worked on too many academic/commercial projects where someone has a great idea, get investment and has never actually drilled into the details of actually want people want. Don't be afraid to consider what Big Ger stated about what makes you different from other instructors and more relevant to your potential customers.

It would be a good idea to try and write yourself a business plan, a google brings up plenty of free templates you can use to start to guide your thinking, many of the suggestions on this forum are great, add credibility but depending on where you are may only help at certain points as your business develops. Look up "SMART objectives" you may also find this helpful.

I would also add that 1:1 instruction means travelling to visit people. You will need a car which is an added expense to consider, you may also need liability insurance if by any accident someone hurts themselves in your care, premiums may be higher if you lack the qualifications.

Good luck, am happy to help review any thing you come up with.

BW
Alx
 summo 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Toerag:

> .....How much do you think you'll charge (out of interest)?

Wonder if they'll be comprising a list of 'extras' that might be available.

I agree.
In reply to Toerag:

I think I will charge around £6 per person for around an one and a half hour session and for concessions £4.50.

Sav
In reply to JayPee630:

IMO all easily obtainable.
Social media is my speciality. I have written a blog post on the benefits of Yoga to climbers but it doesn't just appeal to climbers....
I am a very sociable person.
Sav
In reply to alx:

Thanks.
Great post
I don't drive but I can get to most places via public transport. I agree about the insurance and qualifications.
Sav
 summo 27 Mar 2017

> I think I will charge around £6 per person for around an one and a half hour session and for concessions £4.50.Sav

I have no idea what the market price is but I would look at £20 an hour minimum. Your target audience have the funds. If two people want to share the 1hr session then £30 an hour.

You have to cover your insurance, travel costs and still make something.
 Morty 27 Mar 2017

> I think I will charge around £6 per person for around an one and a half hour session and for concessions £4.50.Sav

You will be working for less than minimum wage. Don't start like this or you may end up having to bring legal action against yourself as a poor employer...
 JayPee630 27 Mar 2017
With those prices you won't be in business long. Someone wants an hour class... how much does it cost you to get there and back on public transport as you're saying? And that's without any general overheads/running costs...?

Is this plan along the same lines as your buying a cottage to let out scheme?
Post edited at 18:56
In reply to Morty:

Agreed.
I'm thinking now £25 per hour per person.
In reply to JayPee630:
On Overground, bus; tube and DLR it is free at all times but on mainline trains it us only free after 8am I think.

What about 25 per person per hour?

No it is not on the same lines.

Sav
Post edited at 19:02
 JayPee630 27 Mar 2017

Free?
 alx 27 Mar 2017
Hi Sav

Pricing is a careful balance between customer desire for your product, getting market share (winning the available business in your area) and you making money for the whole thing to be sustainable.

Your basic model is like an on call plumber, you need a base rate call out fee to cover you getting there, back and paying off any insurance or moneis you owe (loans). You then need to calculate you head room, which is how much you add on as profit. How much will depend on how much business you want and your competitors rates.

Do you business plan research to calculate your base rate, to work out the minimum you need to make a week to stay afloat to pay the bills then work out your headroom. Bear in mind you will make more money by travelling less and doing more sessions back to back.

If I were you I would pick a mixed model of renting community spaces in different venues around your area, then on the same day do home sessions so your not endlessly travelling one end of town to the other.

BW
Alx
Post edited at 19:11
In reply to JayPee630:

I have a Freedom Pass
In reply to alx:
Very sound advice and great ideas.

Will do!

Thanks
Post edited at 19:24
 JayPee630 27 Mar 2017

A free travel pass? Are you allowed/supposed to then use that to travel to work?
 Gone 27 Mar 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

Yes, a freedom pass can be used for any purpose whatever, just has restrictions on the morning peak times. I know of a few elderly folk who work part time once they are old enough to get their pass!
In reply to Gone:

You are spot on.
In reply to JayPee630:

It is for any purpose.
 Big Ger 27 Mar 2017
So the general advice seems to be;
1) Get trained and certified.
2) Get a business plan.
3) Look into insurance and first aid.
4) Find your potential market.
5) Establish yourself slowly and work your way up.

Just one further question Sav, do you claim benefits at present? If you do, have you looked into how may this affect them?
Post edited at 21:33
In reply to Big Ger:

Gracias.

I only get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at present.

I've already begun to look into insurance and I've been looking into doing another First Aid course for a while now.
 Big Ger 27 Mar 2017

That is in your favour.

> Disability living allowance (DLA), personal independence payment (PIP) and attendance allowance are payable whether or not you are working. They are not means tested, so earnings do not affect the amount of your benefit.
In reply to Big Ger:

Gracias

I know DLA is not means tested.

JayPee630 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Gone:

Bloody hell, that's a nice thing to have!
 Gone 28 Mar 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

You too could have it when reaching the appropriate age. It makes London a tempting retirement destination to rival the South Coast and the Med... shame about all the other costs of living there.
 Tobes 28 Mar 2017

> Well....There is a market for Yoga teachers in my area as the local council has stopped Yoga classes in the Adult Education Centres.

Maybe, or perhaps lack of demand in the area has led to the cancellation of these courses.

Worth sussing this out.
In reply to Tobes:
I'll look into it, but the local council has scrapped a lot of courses at the Adult Education courses not just Yoga.
Post edited at 17:07
 Tobes 28 Mar 2017

What else has been scrapped and are there any other activities/courses that you could run with a little prep or personal development?

You're good with computers right? The non technically minded generation need home help with getting started with home computing. Just the basics, getting online, staying safe online, printing etc.
The stuff we all take for granted. Home visits by a patient non threatening 'instructor' could there be a local market in that?
 balmybaldwin 28 Mar 2017

One thing you should look into is around securing personal safety working in other people's homes (both yours and your clients)

For example you are assisting your client with body position by physically moving them for example by holding their hips.

This of course is entirely innocent, but could open you up to accusations of sexual assualt/touching, and without evidence could be difficult to prove what was actually happening.

In fact doing anything 1 on 1 makes it your word against theirs.

Therefore consider things like videoing sessions (with consent of course) ostensibly for the purpose of allowing you to show your clients where their positions are wrong/improving etc, but with a secondary purpose that you have evidence of what actually took place.

Equally you could put yourself in a position where you feel threatened and/or vulnerable (imagine a jealous boyfriend/husband having a go because they thought they saw you touching up their missus etc) - using things like check-in/check-out services so there is always a trail of where you are/should be (This could be as simple as always remembering to text a mate: "Going to no.17 GU1 1DB expect to leave at 16:00" "Left no. 17 Gu1 1DB at 15:50 on route to next job 34 GU4 5FR" etc.)

Don't get me wrong, these sort of issues are few and far between, however they can be serious when they do happen and its always good to have a plan just in case or at least be aware of the danger so can quickly take mitigating action.
In reply to Tobes:

A whole range of courses: pilates, fitness instructor training, non-western languages such as Arabic, Urdu and Mandarin, DIY courses such as plumbing, furniture restoration, bricklaying and tiling. This is what I can remember.

I thought of what you suggested by the local libraries run basic IT stuff and I think Barclays as well.

In reply to balmybaldwin:

Gracias.
Very helpful I information.
Will do.

Don't people's children and/or grandchildren help them with basic IT?
 Mick Ward 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Tobes:

> You're good with computers right? The non technically minded generation need home help with getting started with home computing. Just the basics, getting online, staying safe online, printing etc. The stuff we all take for granted. Home visits by a patient non threatening 'instructor' could there be a local market in that?

(Savvas) Don't people's children and/or grandchildren help them with basic IT?

Hi Sav,

Yes they do - but are they good teachers? Do they just look at the problem at hand or do they look at 'the big picture'?

I take my laptop to a local guy when it gets so bad even I realise I need to do something. But his business, such as it is, is entirely reactive. If I were him, I'd have people on say four visits a year (with direct debits accordingly). I'd go round to them to check the state of their machine, help them with stuff, essentially make things work better. And, if there was no way I could help them, of course I wouldn't charge them anything.

Sav, I'm shit at IT. You're good at it. People like me need people like you. It just needs pointing out to most of us.

Mick
In reply to Mick Ward:
Hi Mick.
You are right....
But what is meant by good at IT?....
Isn't IT a very broad term?
I have thought of this a few times myself.
Sav
Post edited at 22:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...