UKC

Giving up something every month - personal challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 27 Mar 2017

Whether this is something you fancy doing or not I thought I'd share a suggestion. If nothing else its a good exercise in self control, but it could also have health benefits too.

I already dont have milk as I cant digest it
I did it a bit extreme in October and gave up carbohydrates
November I gave up wheat produce and realised I had a mild intolerance e.g bloating when I restarted so Im now on minimal or no wheat/gluten.
January was the classic no alcohol.
February was 'sugar free' feb, no sweets, no fruit etc
March was supposed to be caffeine free but I failed so will try that one again in April.

Doesnt have to be food, could be swearing, smoking, anything really!
Post edited at 11:38
 DerwentDiluted 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

I gave up climbing even remotely well about 8 years ago, and have been remarkably diligent in sticking to it ever since, no lapses, no sneaky secret smooth sends, not even during those occasional moments of self concidence and momentary bouts of strength.
 Skyfall 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

I'm not sure why this is a good thing....
OP The Potato 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Skyfall:

you mean me or Derwent? I agree giving up climbing is not good, unless its due to permanent injury or illness
 the sheep 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

I have given up drinking for good!

I now drink for evil

cb294 27 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:
In the weeks before easter I stop fasting...

CB

PS: I actually think the original suggestion can be helpful, but just could not resist!

Post edited at 12:49
In reply to the sheep:

thats a good one, not heard that in a long while
 Rob Exile Ward 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Skyfall:

'I'm not sure why this is a good thing....'

I'm not either. It reminds me of the fact that when were kids, if we had a nice sweet like trifle - Mum was good at those - Dad used to insist we had a slice of brown bread as well, which we hated.

He used to say that it was to do us good, I still think it was to stop us enjoying ourselves too much.
 hang_about 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

I'm giving up giving up things
 3leggeddog 27 Mar 2017
In reply to hang_about:

I gave up hope years ago
 deepsoup 27 Mar 2017
In reply to hang_about:
> I'm giving up giving up things

http://www.jesusandmo.net/comic/week/
pasbury 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

I've just given up the booze so I'm not bloody well giving anything else up - in fact I intend to acquire one or vices through the coming months.
 Chris Harris 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

> I did it a bit extreme in October and gave up carbohydrates
November I gave up wheat produce

Shouldn't you have given up wheat in October, since wheat is about 70% carbohydrate?
In reply to Chris Harris:
Sorry that was a typo - In november I gave up wheat produce AS I realised I ha......
like 'dry january' a lot of people do, I just give up for the month then resume, if I choose to do so.
Post edited at 14:50
 Lord_ash2000 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Seems beziare to me, I can understand slowly adapting your life style to a more healthy one by graudually cutting out unhealthy things and replacing them with better alternatives. But just giving up random things for a month at a time is pointless, you're not going to get any long term gain from eating or not eating anything for just a month.

You'd be much better off picking one area (ie excessive sugar) and making an effort reduce that permanently than to just be swapping and changing each month.
 Fredt 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

I gave up going on UKC for March.
 Timmd 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Sounds like it could be an interesting way of finding out more about what does and doesn't agree with you.

I'm giving up habitual late nights, I seem to suddenly want to go to sleep earlier and wake up fresher.
 JayPee630 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Sounds a bit bonkers to me tbh. And bordering on food issues.
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

As I said its partly for health partly for exercising willpower.
It's all well and good accepting the current trends but until you find out what works for you then its just blindly following advice e.g low fat, low sugar, red wine etc.
As said doesn't have to be food could be anything you feel might be a challenge to do without
 balmybaldwin 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

> could be swearing, smoking, anything really!

If you are smoking... why are you pussy-footing around wasting will power on giving up gluten and carbs?

Give up the thing that makes the biggest difference - Smoking

I know it's f'ing hard as I'm still struggling to do myself, but it;s the one thing that really will make a difference to your life and others round you.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

This is true, but I don't smoke
It was an example
That is all
 balmybaldwin 27 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Ok how about no TV for a month?

Or No non-work internet use for a month?

Or Go commando for a month
 Big Ger 28 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

Life's too short.
Jim C 28 Mar 2017
In reply to The Potato:

I already don't drink or smoke or eat red meats , so when I had a health check with the doc he was struggling to find something to make me give up, but he eventually said I was to cut right down on my caffeine intake , due to my advancing years ( not good for my bladder apparently )

I did give up shaving if that counts?
( I must warn that this can have severe side effects if your are in a relationship
OP The Potato 28 Mar 2017
In reply to balmybaldwin:

You know, I think youve struck on a good one there, no internet for a month!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...