UKC

Budget Exploration Trips in Mongolia

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 joe j 27 Mar 2017
premier post photo
Partners Wanted for Budget Exploratory Mountaineering and Reconnaissance Trips in Mongolia.

I am an expedition leader that lives in Mongolia. I'm undertaking a few budget trips with the aim of collecting materials/photos for a mountaineering guidebook and preparing for commercial expeditions that I am running later in the year.

I am offering places on two trips for people that would be interested in visiting these stunning areas. To be clear, it's not a commercial expedition, instead it is an opportunity to share costs and join me as I undertake my exploration of the area. This is, in effect, a long 'find a Partner' request.

Below are some of the basic details, I am happy to be very clear and upfront to ensure that no one wastes anyones time. I think these trips will be a great chance to explore Mongolia for the right kind of person.

About Me: I have lived in Mongolia for 3 years. I have attempted solo winter climbs in the Altai to over 4000m. Was the first person to cross the frozen Lake Khuvsgul, 140k m solo on foot. I was the winner of the Wilderness Award 2016, from the great people that organise the Wilderness Lecture Series. I have been an expedition leader for 9 years, these have included 25 ascents of Kilimanjaro, a first official ascent of a 6600m Mountain in Tibet and multiple expeditions to many other countries of course including Mongolia. I have all of the contacts here in Mongolia to safely and easily arrange the logistics of the trip. We will be accompanied throughout by one of my staff, a Mongolian guide/translator.

About You: Open minded and ready for an eye opening cultural experience. Has a hands on attitude to helping around camp, perhaps assisting with some planning/shopping prior to setting off for the mountains. Good all round hill fitness. Able to carry medium/heavy loads (10-15kg) for 6-8 hours. Happy to experience a range of weather conditions, similar to those encountered in Scottish Winter with the possibility of lower temperatures during the nights. Honest and upfront about personal experience and proficiency in the mountains. No explicit need for glacial or technical climbing experience but this is preferred. Must either have, or willing to buy/rent suitable equipment for the expedition, including very warm sleeping bag, ice axe, crampons, warm boots and maybe snow shoes.

Trip One:
7-9 days duration
Window of dates: between 11th-19th April 2017
Destination: the 4000m mountains of Sutai and Tsambargarav in Gobi Altai and Khovd Provinces of Western Mongolia.
Aims: Visit potential Base Camp sites, log GPS tracks for BC approaches, identify non-technical routes to the summits and ideally climb some/all 4000m peaks in the two areas.
Estimated Cost:~£700-850 per person*

Trip Two:
7-10 days duration
Window of dates: between the 13th-24th May 2017
Destination: the Altai Tavn Bogd mountains in Bayan Ulgii Province in the West of Mongolia.
Aims: Travel to the Base Camp beneath the Tavn Bogd mountains. Assess and GPS track the glacial approach to Advanced Base Camp for Mount Khuiten (the highest mountain in Mongolia). The main aim for this trip is to assess, and photograph, early season conditions.
Estimated Cost: ~£800-950 per person*

No need to pay upfront. Purchasing flights and obtaining the visa is enough of a commitment for me. The dates are pretty much fixed into my schedule.

*Land only costs, dependant on comfort/service level preferred, including all food, logistics, permits and basic accommodation in Ulaanbaatar for one day before and after the trip to the mountains. Flight (£600), Visa £40-60 for UK citizen) and Insurance not included.

If you are interested in principle, but the dates don't quite work, please do get in touch as there will be other similar opportunities in the coming months.

Many thanks for your time! Joe
 JayPee630 21 Apr 2017
In reply to joe j:

Do you have a website?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...