UKC

Wild Scottish beach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RyanOsborne 27 Mar 2017
I'm looking for a Scottish beach for a getaway at Easter, my requirements are:

1. Needs to be wild (away from roads and houses)
2. Needs to be on the coast, not on a loch, so that we can fish
3. Needs to have a forest nearby for camping in
4. Needs to be in the southern half of the west coast.

Doesn't need to be sand.

Any ideas anyone?
 Jon Read 27 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Number 3 is a strange one. Do you only have hammocks to sleep on?

55.384174, -5.793818 -- any good?

skog 27 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

I'm not sure it's 'wild' enough, but what about Kilbride Bay?

http://www.gaelicplacenames.org/maps/map.html?g=NR960666
 woppo 27 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

what about Seil island, at the north end of clachan seil (bridge over the atlantic)
 tony 27 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Somewhere on the Ardnamurchan peninsula, like GR NM 613 690.

Bear in mind that if you're driving, the more remote places on the west coast take a long time to drive to - even when there are roads, they're not fast roads.
 CurlyStevo 27 Mar 2017
In reply to tony:

yeah I was going to suggest similar. I've not been but I looked in to it for similar requirements to the OP
 balmybaldwin 27 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> I'm looking for a Scottish beach for a getaway at Easter, my requirements are:1. Needs to be wild (away from roads and houses)2. Needs to be on the coast, not on a loch, so that we can fish3. Needs to have a forest nearby for camping in4. Needs to be in the southern half of the west coast.Doesn't need to be sand.Any ideas anyone?

with regards to 2) is this a preference or is there some law against fishing in Lochs?
OP RyanOsborne 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Jon Read:

> Number 3 is a strange one. Do you only have hammocks to sleep on?55.384174, -5.793818 -- any good?

Just prefer forest for shelter and cosy-ness.
In reply to tony:

> Somewhere on the Ardnamurchan peninsula, like GR NM 613 690. Bear in mind that if you're driving, the more remote places on the west coast take a long time to drive to - even when there are roads, they're not fast roads.

That place has good potential, the peninsula to the north of it too, Arisaig, looks good also. Thanks.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Yeah, you need a permit for freshwater.
 Robert Durran 27 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

The south coast of the Ross of Mull has a whole string of stunning little beaches, most of which need to be walked to. Only the eastern most might have forest though.

tony 27 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> That place has good potential, the peninsula to the north of it too, Arisaig, looks good also. Thanks.

Arisaig is potentially a bit busier than you might want. It does have a fairly major road (a relative term - major for that part of the world, and a railway). Mind you, I'm doing a half-marathon there at the end of April, and the Facebook page keeps showing photos of the area and the beaches, and it looks fantastic, so what you might lose in remoteness, you might win in gorgeousness.
 the sheep 27 Mar 2017

You need a rod license to fish for freshwater fish, plus a more expensive one for salmon and sea trout. There is also a much greater diversity of sea fish that taste a lot better!
 DerwentDiluted 27 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Wrong side of country but I've heard glowing reports of Dalgety Bay.
 JuanTinco 27 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:
Try out a sea loch, some of these spread a fair way into what feels like "inland"
Places that spring to mind are around Loch Duich

Juan

Edit: We spent a bit of time around here once 57.574380, -5.798479, not sure if that's enough forest, worth finding a general area, and then doing a bit of google mapping.
Post edited at 16:35
 coinneach 27 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

> You need a rod license to fish for freshwater fish

Don't need a rod license in Scotland as far as I'm aware, loch fishing if a permit is needed , it can be bought locally . . . . ( this information is, of course, 30 years out of date!)

the sheep 27 Mar 2017
In reply to coinneach:
There you go, live and learn!
I still prefer the taste of salt water fish to fresh but that's a personal thing
 balmybaldwin 27 Mar 2017
In reply to the sheep:

As a Coarse fisher years ago I naturally assumed you would be in possession of a license, forgot you don't need one in the sea.... I was expecting you to say the inland lochs are all private land or angling clubs
 wintertree 27 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Disbarred by #4 but Slaggan Bay above Mellon Charles is rather nice and the more popular beach at Mellon Udrigle where you'd likely park is very nice and worth a visit,
 phizz4 27 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Try the area south-west of Tayvallich. Meets all of your criteria and a great pub in the village if you want more civilisation.
 the sheep 27 Mar 2017
As an occasional fisherman (coarse, fly and sea) I didn't know about the regional needs for a licence. Mainly fished in the salty stuff but that's only been once or twice a year

aln 27 Mar 2017
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Wrong side of country but I've heard glowing reports of Dalgety Bay.

Dalgety Bay's great. Good chippy and excellent views to the bridges.
OP RyanOsborne 28 Mar 2017
In reply to phizz4:

Oooooh I think that might be just the ticket - and it's an hour less drive than most of the other places I've spotted. Some great looking little coves along there, thanks!
 Jon Read 28 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Given you appear to have 'alternative' transport what about Fuday or any of the other uninhabited islands out there off the west coast? If you don't already have it, "The Scottish Islands" by Hamish Haswell-Smith is a great source of inspiration.
 Si_G 28 Mar 2017
In reply to aln:

Glad I sold my house in Radiation Bay before the more recent fuss. And doubly glad I didn't buy one of the new houses down the front!
I do miss it, though. Nice wee town. Used to clamber about on the chossy headland above 1ft of water full of skull-splitting boulders, in my hiking boots. And walk across to Aberdour and back.
 Dave the Rave 28 Mar 2017
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Rhu Point about 5 miles from Arisaig. 1 and a 1/2 mile walk from the road end.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...