UKC

Miura XX Vs. Existing lace and Velcro versions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alx 27 Mar 2017
Hi All

I am about to replace my knackered Miura VS and am keen to get a explore other options, namely the new XX version. Has anyone tried these and can compare them to the existing lace and velcro versions?

I exclusively boulder and treat shoes like a tool kit.
I have a pair of Genius for climbing on steep smeary stuff or marginal toe hooks however despite the no edge technology claims they are the single most pointless shoe to be used on small edges or small smears, the toe hook and heel are phenomenal. They excel on steep grit stone and sandstone.

I use a pair of instinct VS's as my hybrid/bridging performance shoe for small edges, good heel but woeful toe (scarpa somehow invented non-stick toehook rubber..).

The Miura Vs are my brutal edging shoes where I can stand on a wrinkle on gnats nuts with ease at any angle but I am now favouring the lace up systems to get a better and longer lasting fit. The XX seams like a compromise but I am unsure if they are as aggressive as the VS, the true lace versions where a lot flatter in profile.
 slab_happy 27 Mar 2017
In reply to alx:

I haven't tried them but was under the impression that they're basically "the VS but with laces". In which case they might be exactly what you want.

> the true lace versions where a lot flatter in profile.

Yeah, they don't have the P3 whatsit, and only have a midsole in the forefoot, so they flatten out very rapidly. According to the Sportiva website, the XX have the P3 and full-length midsole, same as the VS:

http://www.sportiva.com/miura-xx.html
OP alx 27 Mar 2017
In reply to slab_happy:

Thanks! I have also emailed banana fingers for a bit more information so will post that up here if anyone else is interested.
S3.K1 29 Mar 2017
In reply to alx:

Hi alx,
I called my dealer this mornig, I understand that XX has a different last (e.g. due to the higher initial tension of P3S) and heel still narrow but possibly higher. So I ordered two sizes to try them. I had a Miura lace six years ago which performed quite good in the beginning. However I'm not an expert and the most trustworth source of information.
Did you get an answer?

airborne 29 Mar 2017
In reply to alx:

It’s always been a bit confusing that the Miura VS features the P3 (Permanent Power System) midsole, allowing the shoe to keep its downturned shape over time, whereas the standard Miura lace-up has never had the P3.

The key difference with the XX is that it does feature the P3.
 petellis 29 Mar 2017
In reply to alx:
Confusingly, the Katana Lace is the lace up version of the Miura VS!

Katana is the velcro version of the Miura Lace....

Confusing I know - but you want the Katana lace-up if you are looking for a Miura V with laces.
Post edited at 12:36
 slab_happy 29 Mar 2017
In reply to petellis:

> Confusingly, the Katana Lace is the lace up version of the Miura VS!

As I understand it, it's got the P3 but is still built on the Katana last, which is a notch less asymmetrical and aggressive than the Miura last.

Might still be worth the OP's time to check them out, though.
 tehmarks 29 Mar 2017
In reply to slab_happy:

When I (eventually) bought a pair of Miura lace-ups a few years ago I remember that the fit of the Miura VS is much more similar to the Katana lace-ups and vice-versa. It's a bit ridiculous.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...