UKC

La Musardiere Campsite - Font - Any Tips?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afx22 28 Mar 2017
Hi All,

A bunch of us are off to Font next week and will be camping at La Musardiere.

Does anyone have any tips on making the best of camping there? (security, getting hold of food, best spots to camp, anywhere near to any bouldering within easy walking distance, anywhere to re-freeze freezer packs etc.)

Thanks in advance.
 greg_may_ 28 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

A few years since I've been there, but we used to go there on most trips. Nice campsite, was always clean, people who run it are very friendly and flexible. But, it can be quite busy at times. Camping area is quite shaded and decent for kids too. Pool is there, bring your skimpies. Old La Post van used to drive the campsite early in the morning delivering baked goods. You'll know it when you hear it, tends to be quite early. There was no shop on site last time I was there.

Gorge aux Chat is in walking distance, as is the main area of La Trois Pignons and all it's areas. We never bothered driving, just walk over and back. easy to get to all other areas if you have a car. IIRC you used to be able to rent bikes at the campsite too.

Nearest shops are Milly La Foret - bit of an arse of a walk if you've no car. If you've a car, all good.
 Alex Riley 28 Mar 2017
In reply to greg_may_:

Last year they let us borrow bikes to go to the shop, they didn't charge us for it. Nice campsite with good facilities and excellent location for the price.

The market in Milly is worth going to if you are there on market day.
 greg_may_ 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Alex Riley:
That's quite nice of them! We're contemplating a trip back there with kid #1 later in the year on the way to Chamonix. Well...not really on the way.

Edit: Also agree, the market is worth the time to explore. Works well as a day off option when you're not having your ability questioned by "simple" Font problems....
Post edited at 13:04
OP afx22 28 Mar 2017
In reply to greg_may_:
Sounds good. We have cars. I'm sold on the baked goods
Post edited at 13:09
 RR 28 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

Madame Meunier (Madame la propriétaire) loves cats. As you know cats love (your) food. A lot of wild cats too. So be aware and take care. The cats can also make piss on your tent.
ceri 28 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

Does the pizza van still come once a week?
 TheGeneralist 28 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:
Have to say that I'm not a fan of Musardiere. Been there perhaps 18 times in all and much prefer the Grez sur Loing camping.

Musardiere is within walking distance of climbing and has a pool, but that's about it in the + stakes. It turns into an absolute swamp when it rains (which is does a lot in bleau) and gets very very crowded.

The grez campsite has real grass and a lovely river to swim in. Baker within walking distance. But no climbing nearby.

Oh and watch out for the pizza man. He seems to think that people who don't speak good French can't count either. He short changed me and it was quite clear from his reaction when challenged that it was his standard method of making a few bob on top.
Post edited at 14:18
 greg_may_ 28 Mar 2017
In reply to TheGeneralist:

But...pizza...

Never had issues with it myself. But speak French as does my wife, possibly helped.
OP afx22 28 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

Does anyone know if drinking water is available on site?
 phizz4 28 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

I have only ever been to Les Musardiere in summer but I have never been impressed. It was busy, noisy, and the facilities were not very clean. It can be very damp, and stays damp after rain. It also tends to attract pissheads at certain times. It is within walking distance of some sectors. I can recommend this place:

http://www.camping-iledeboulancourt.com/en/ just to the south of Malesherbes. Clean, quiet, good boulangerie nearby and bouldering on the road past the piscine in Malesherbes (can't remember the name).

Removed User 29 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

I've been a few times and never had any problems. You'll be in good company, there's​ at least 20 people that I know of staying there over Easter.
You need a car to make the most of it but then most people going to Font are taking their car anyway.
thelurker 29 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:
As was well known in the 1950's all French water is unsafe, the only safe drinking water is in the UK.
 Slarti B 29 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

> Does anyone know if drinking water is available on site?

They have water on site for washing but during my stays there I have always stuck to drinking wine and beer. Just be on the safe side.

GrahamD 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Slarti B:

Serious answer, though, there are water stand pipes all over the site. I really like the place.
 Trangia 30 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:
I have been to both Musardiere and Grez and much prefer the latter. The former can get very crowded and noisy, the latter has much stricter control over piss heads making a noise after 10 pm, also it adjoins a delightful village with bakery and shops, and as mentioned the river for swimming and kayak hire. Both really better with a car. More of a drive to the rocks from Grez.

The only time to avoid Grez is if it coincides with a Dutch Bank Holiday when it get inundated with them with huge shower and toilet queues!!
Post edited at 09:56
 Bulls Crack 30 Mar 2017
In reply to afx22:

Nice site but I know from experience that if you camp at the lowest point it floods - sometimes quite dramatically!

A bunch of scouts helped carry our family tent to another pitch after wading out to us
 BoulderBus 18 Apr 2017
In reply to afx22:

If you're walking it's got to be La musardiere for the camping, best one for walk-able boulders. they have a freezer in reception for ice packs if i recall correctly.
OP afx22 19 Apr 2017
In reply to BoulderBus:

I've been back a week or so now.

The Good;
- Loads of space in each pitch
- Nice place to be
- Walking distance of Gorge Aux Chats (nice walk and lovely climbing). Also great for trail running.
- Decent Value
- Decent facilities (no hand dryers in toilets though)
- Milly le Foret only 2 miles away (nice little town)
- Morning deliveries of baguettes, croissants, pain au chocolates etc.

The Bad
- Don't get there late. Took us 14 hours to get there and we arrived 26 mins after the gate shut. They wouldn't let us in and we had to sleep outside.
- Really, really noisy on the last night (a Friday) until 3am (we had to be up at 5am to get back). Had a strong urge to go and flatten all the tents of the culprits.
- Swimming pool not open. Needs lots of refurb work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...