UKC

Is this Harrison Stickle route suitable for kids aged 10+8?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
brislou 28 Mar 2017

Hello
looking for a challenging but safe route for kids in central lakes, we have settled on Harrison Stickle but have read parts of it (Jack's rake?) can be dangerous. Can anyone tell me if the attached route avoids this area and is suitable for kids?
Thanks
http://www.trekkingbritain.com/harrisonstickleviastickletarn.html
Post edited at 21:35
 Martin Hore 28 Mar 2017
In reply to brislou:

Looks like a standard walkers route up and around Harrison's Stickle to me. It certainly doesn't ascend Jack's Rake.

It is a proper mountain walk though (despite the large number of not very experienced folk you will see on it many summer weekends). I'm not sure how much experience you've got yourself (not a huge amount I'm guessing or you wouldn't be asking). So you might possibly want to check it out without the kids first. Or try it with them, but be prepared to turn back at Stickle Tarn if they're finding it tough or the weather looks iffy.

You haven't said the age of the kids, or whether they are yours or a youth group. Advice might vary accordingly.

Martin
 John Kelly 28 Mar 2017
In reply to brislou:

What Martin said, it's fine in good weather, tarn might be far enough

Also in description point 4, when you cross wooden bridge you are about 1/4 way up to stickle tarn not 1/2 way as suggested
brislou 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Martin Hore:

Sorry ages in title, 10+8 years. We did Place Fell in bad weather(snow/wind) last year and it was manageable just looking for similar level of challenge, how does it compare? Or can you recommend another good one? We've already covered off Loughrigg, Catbells too.
Thanks
brislou 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Martin Hore:

just to add, they can manage a scramble as long as its safe, no sheer drops, which is why I wanted to make sure we were avoiding Jacks rake.
 Jon Stewart 28 Mar 2017
In reply to brislou:
Pretty similar to Place Fell really, a little bit more height to ascend but not too much. A small notch up in terms of challenge. All good paths, nothing dangerous, very popular. A bit steeper and more mountainy than Loughrigg and Catbells.

Also, a more spectaular walk than any of the others - you pass close to Pavey Ark which is a big old crag (Jack's Rake is an easy scramble up and across this crag). A longer version of this was the first mountain walk I ever did (about 10 years old I think) and I remember being awestruck by the sight of Pavey above Stickle Tarn.
Post edited at 22:56
brislou 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks, we did Loughrigg as our more gentle climb last year and it will be Catbells this year. So this sounds like a good choice for our more challenging walk. As long as its not dangerous we are up for the challenge, thanks for your help.
 Wainers44 29 Mar 2017
In reply to brislou:

It's a good walk. You can reassess the coditions when you reach the tarn. A walk just to there and back is enough on a rainy day.

The only place to take care with the Nav is when you leave the summit of Harrison Stickle. From memory it's so well walked that you need to make sure you have the path and not just head down the slope directly towards Langdale.

It is nice though. We used to stay nearby all the time and pretty sure my kids did it around that age.
 Iain Thow 29 Mar 2017
In reply to brislou:

Did that route (in reverse) with my dad and brother age 10 (my brother was 9) and loved it. Feels like a proper mountain. The plus of doing it the other way round was that we could clamber about on non serious bits of rock on the edge of Thorn Crag on the way up.
 Martin Hore 29 Mar 2017
In reply to brislou:

Sorry I missed the ages.

Yes, what others have said. A small step up from Place Fell. Some steeper ground around if you miss the way, and more of a "mountain" feel to it. Excellent turn-around point at Stickle Tarn if the weather looks poor or the kids look tired.

Have a good day!

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...