UKC

BMC MSO Club Membership Database

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 latkinson2012 28 Mar 2017
Are any other clubs out there having problems with the new way the BMC is wanting to know member details. I've just inputted the data for my club and have had many problems, for example:
1. I was able to upload an excel spreadsheet of member details but not able to save it onto our organisation details
2. Every time I typed, the system would jump around and delete what I had already typed
Consequently, I have had to manually type members details into the database which is time consuming and open to human errors. This wouldn't be a problem if clubs only had one or two members, but when you have over 100 it's a waste of time. The BMC will be getting my feedback on this but it would be interesting to know what other clubs are thinking.
 hazeysunshine 28 Mar 2017
In reply to latkinson2012:

To be honest I was dreading tackling it, and found it a bit clunky to begin with, eg you have to double click on a cell to type into it.
But we also have over 160 members in our club, so I followed the suggestion in the Manual, ie to bring up the 2016 membership list, select all and copy all to 2017. Then just had a few to add.
So all in all not as bad as I expected!

Didn't have too much problem once my aging brain got the hang of the system, but we have less than 50 members, I managed to copy most from last year and only had to individually enter 15 or 20.

I can see that entering over 100, individually would be a time consuming pain if the import function doesn't work, I didn't try it myself.

I did phone the BMC with a couple of questions and Clonagh was very helpful. If you are still struggling with the system I would give them a call.
 Team BMC 29 Mar 2017

If you’re experiencing difficulties, we would be happy to advise and assist you. Please contact Arun at the BMC office on 0161 445 6111.
 RichieB 29 Mar 2017

Every time I tried to upload an excel file, it failed to accept new members without a BMC reference, or if someone got married and changed their name.
I ended up sending a CSV file to the BMC and they uploaded it for me as in previous years.
 aostaman 02 Apr 2017

I (well Four Points Climbing) was one of the clubs that helped with testing.

The real benefits of MSO are (in my humble opinion) not in the initial data loading but in the renewal process. Not an exactly an instant win but for me the matching of leavers/joiners and data changes at renewal used to drive me nuts on a spreadsheet.

As to the initial loading I couldn't get an s/sheet file to load either but then again I have only ever managed to reverse load these things once, (not MSO). I was so pleased with myself but never succeeded again. The issue is usually mapping. If you have a large membership (or even a smaller one), Arun Patel or Clonagh will help.

I did however get the data to export which I use for annual treasury reporting.

It does feel initially a wee bit clunky because its initial presentation is that of an empty database table and in the modern world of busy screens that can feel a bit windswept. The keyboard / screen response feedback is also not as 'instant' as it would be on a local s/sheet or application. That is a function of broadband speed and the response time from the d/base itself. It is not full of wizzy dizzy functionality and it would probably be wise to limit update authority to a limited number of authorised officers but what it does, it does very well and it is very stable. I did use the manuals as well and they are very good and they do help.

My first renewal season was a breeze compared to the usual effort with spreadsheets. You tick those who are renewing and add new members manually. It is also much easier to add new members during the year. In addition the invoicing and payment process is much improved.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...