UKC

Unrequested Web Pages

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 29 Mar 2017
Just saying I occasionally leave my pc on overnight with the screen turned off.
This morning, when I turned on the monitor, there was a web page on the screen which was not there last night and it certainly wasn't one which I'd requested. When I looked in "History" there were about four of them listed.
I tried googling for the name but this didn't really tell me anything.
Do any of you chaps know what it's about?
Removed User 29 Mar 2017
Can anyone help?
 hokkyokusei 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

Somnambulism?
Removed User 29 Mar 2017
In reply to hokkyokusei:

I don't understand your comment

Somnambulism = Sleepwalking
Removed User 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

I don't see what that's got to do with my question.

> I don't see what that's got to do with my question.

Really ?

Now it's making me wonder if your trolling.

He is implying you could have been sleep walking and used the computer to access the pages in question.
Removed User 29 Mar 2017

Just saying I posted a question about an apparent problem on my pc and I thought I might get some assistance from other members.

> Just saying I posted a question about an apparent problem on my pc and I thought I might get some assistance from other members.

Hey remember where your posting .
He wasn't rude or insulting at least.
This is UKC after all.

You may get a helpful response later on .
Sorry I can't be of any real help , I've never had it happen .
I hope you find your answers.

TWS
 digby 29 Mar 2017

Question is lacking any background detail so how would we know what it is? My computer's often on all day and I've never seen unrequested pages. Pretty sure you shouldn't be seeing any though.
 FactorXXX 29 Mar 2017

If you go on certain websites, they automatically start up a 'Live Cam Show' on a separate tab.
That's what I've been told, as I've never encountered it myself obviously...
 Martin W 29 Mar 2017

What OS are you running? The screen saver on my virtual Windows 10 machine seems to have a tendency to call up a web page with information about the pretty picture it was displaying when you woke the machine up. Could that be what's happening on your machine?

(I really must get round to disabling that 'feature'. I have tried but, like so much stuff that comes as standard with Win10, it seems less than obvious precisely which Microsoft spells you need to cast to make it go away and leave you alone. At the end of the day it's only a VM, and I only use it for one specific but non-critical task so it doesn't really matter.)
 Timmd 29 Mar 2017
> Really ?Now it's making me wonder if your trolling.He is implying you could have been sleep walking and used the computer to access the pages in question.

Perhaps I have a different mindset to some folk, but if a person posted about unrequested websites on their computer, I wouldn't suggest they were sleep walking, or call somebody a troll for wondering why sleep walking might have something to do with unrequested web pages appearing on their computer.

Post edited at 12:47
 Timmd 29 Mar 2017
In reply to digby:

> Question is lacking any background detail so how would we know what it is? My computer's often on all day and I've never seen unrequested pages. Pretty sure you shouldn't be seeing any though.

Sometimes in this life, other people can have the same experiences as ourselves, and asking questions about them to others can bring a swift resolution to our queries.
In reply to Timmd:

> Perhaps I have a different mindset to some folk, but if a person posted about unrequested websites on their computer, I wouldn't suggest they were sleep walking, or call somebody a troll for wondering why sleep walking might have something to do with unrequested web pages appearing on their computer.

Then in this case I find you clearly lacking in humour .

And hey , I was just explaining the Somnambulism reference and their lacking of appreciation of the comment.

summo 29 Mar 2017
In reply to FactorXXX:

> If you go on certain websites, they automatically start up a 'Live Cam Show' on a separate tab.That's what I've been told, as I've never encountered it myself obviously...

Wonder if OP has a teenage son? Box of tissues next to computer....
 plyometrics 29 Mar 2017

It might help if you describe what the unrequested websites were, as that might give a clue as to what's going on.
 Rob Exile Ward 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Well tbh the slightly faux-naïve tone of the OP and the description of the unusual - not to say apparently unique - phenomenon does rather raise a suspicion of trolling.

In answer to the OP: no, it is not normal for websites to suddenly appear on your computer. AS was (slightly flippantly) suggested, could you have accessed them late at night, but forgotten? Or does anyone else have access to your computer?

Otherwise chances are you've picked up some rather nasty malware, so you will have to download anti-malware software. Or call your friendly local PC advisor and pay them to do it.

Timmd 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
'Faux naive'? Can somebody not ask a question trying to find out something (when they don't quite know what's going on) without being called a troll?

This website can be weird...

Edit: Perhaps you could point me to the part of UKC where it outlines the minimum amount of knowledge one needs to have before asking questions about different things?

Post edited at 13:53
 Timmd 29 Mar 2017

> Then in this case I find you clearly lacking in humour .

Intent doesn't always translate via text.

FactorXXX 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

This website can be weird...

The website is fine, it's the users that are weird...
In reply to Timmd:

> Intent doesn't always translate via text.

That's a fair point.

Rob Exile Ward 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Obviously it was just me that found the tone of the OP a bit ... odd, as I said. Certainly I'm not in a position to criticise anyone for asking for advice, I ask for plenty myself.
Jimbocz 29 Mar 2017

I would guess that it is advertising. There's a script on your page that is constantly loading different ads the whole time the page is open. Every once in a while those ads will open another window so you can see which hot singles are in your area.
 hokkyokusei 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Perhaps I have a different mindset to some folk, but if a person posted about unrequested websites on their computer, I wouldn't suggest they were sleep walking, or call somebody a troll for wondering why sleep walking might have something to do with unrequested web pages appearing on their computer.

You might not, but I was trying to help answer the question posed. There wasn't much to go in in the OP, so I was trying to think outside of the box.

digby 29 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Sometimes in this life, other people can have the same experiences as ourselves, and asking questions about them to others can bring a swift resolution to our queries.

Sometimes in this life, people can analyse a problem given enough information about it, whether they've experienced it or not.
 Brass Nipples 29 Mar 2017

Post the urls of the web pages that came up.

Removed User 30 Mar 2017

> Now it's making me wonder if your trolling.

People say this so often on UKC and it's not the case in like 99.99% of posts.

I reckon you should get one chance at calling someone a troll and if you're wrong (like you are in this case, and it's painfully obvious to anyone that knows anything about trolling) you get the banhammer.
In reply to Removed User:
> People say this so often on UKC and it's not the case in like 99.99% of posts.I reckon you should get one chance at calling someone a troll and if you're wrong (like you are in this case, and it's painfully obvious to anyone that knows anything about trolling) you get the banhammer.

Read my post again mate. I suggested I wondered if he was a troll .

Not the same as calling one a troll.
I was explaining my train of thought about his lack of understanding the humour.

TWS
Post edited at 08:38
 krikoman 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Removed User:

> People say this so often on UKC and it's not the case in like 99.99% of posts.I reckon you should get one chance at calling someone a troll and if you're wrong (like you are in this case, and it's painfully obvious to anyone that knows anything about trolling) you get the banhammer.

where's the fun in that?

And what difference does it make?
 Timmd 30 Mar 2017
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> You might not, but I was trying to help answer the question posed. There wasn't much to go in in the OP, so I was trying to think outside of the box.

I think I made a mountain out of a molehill.
 timjones 03 Apr 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I think we all have different mind sets, it would never even cross my mind to ask IT questions on a climbing website

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...